PDA

View Full Version : Former Panic Attack Sufferer Here to Help You

livefree83
17-04-16, 00:15
I just came back from my psychiatrist and she gave me some excellent news. I have finally made a full recovery from panic attacks. The last time I had a panic attack was at least six months ago. As many of you know, the first panic attack anyone has can be very traumatic. You have never felt feelings like this before. For all you know, you can be having a heart attack, a stroke or something really horrible. The truth is that most likely you experienced a panic attack. Panic attacks can resemble heart attacks. The difference between heart attacks is most likely, you will loose consciousness from a heart attack. You will NEVER faint or pass out from a heart attack. Also, if you are having a heart attack, in a lot of cases, your heart won't be racing as you do when you are having a panic attack. After a peak of a panic attack, your heart rate will subside once the peak is over, normally in about 10-15 minutes.

The first attack I ever experienced was on January 12, 2015. It was by far the worst experience of my life. My heart rate was 134 when the EMTS came to my house, I was dizzy, my legs were wobbling, I was getting hot and cold flashes, I was pacing like a mad person back and forth my house trying to get rid of the symptoms. After the first attack, I was always anticipating my next attack. I would get these attacks frequently, about two or three times a day. This went on until around September of 2015. I was diagnosed with panic disorder as well as post traumatic stress disorder as a result of the FIRST attack. I could not get these symptoms out of my head. I also became a hypochondriac.

Here's how I overcame panic disorder and somatic (health anxiety) disorder:

ACCEPTED WHAT I WAS FEELING
KNEW THE SYMPTOMS WOULD NOT HARM ME: If you have a serious health issue such as a heart attack, you will faint from the episode. a person will NEVER faint from a panic attack. A person will NEVER have a seizure from a panic attack. These were all fears I had and why the attacks kept happening. I would always anticipate the WORST.

It is that simple. Once you can simply accept that these are all feelings and not give into the panic and symptoms, you will see how much faster you recover. FEAR OF FEAR is what most people suffer with.

If I can beat it, so can you. Please feel free to PM me with any tips. I would be happy to help you :) I have experienced, felt and seen it all :)