PDA

View Full Version : Good news inducing panic attacks

kember
17-04-16, 20:15
Oh dear, my poor family. We just decided to get a dog (my dream) and since we have had good news from the rescue home I haven't stopped having panic attacks. I'm vomiting, shaking, can't have a conversation. I'm not nervous about having the dog, I'm just excited, but my stupid brain interprets this as a threat??? And then my husband and children think I'm not happy, and then I might not get the damned dog because they think it's that that's causing a fear response!

I am so sick of good, exciting things (holidays, children's plays...etc) making me ill. At least when it's something I'm dreading people kind of get it.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you convince those that love you that you still want the thing that's causing distress?

eva82
18-04-16, 14:00
Yes this happens to me too! Any big emotion (for example being really excited or angry) turns into anxiety or panic for me. It's so annoying! A few years ago we also decided to rescue a dog and I was so excited. The day came to pick her up, and I couldn't stop panicking. It was horrible and continued a few days after also but I knew (just like you) that it was my sensitive nervous system and that I really did want the dog. It was just a big change and I guess it set off a kind of alarm in my body and mind. It all turned out fine though in the end and my emotions settled down and I was able to enjoy the experience after the initial anxiety wore off. It's a great thing you're doing by rescuing a dog that needs a home and all you can do is focus on making the transition comfortable for your newest family member.

As for your family, it's normal for them not to understand that we can be excited and happy but our body reacts the opposite way. Just keep explaining that to them and assure them that this is something you really want! That's all you can do.. Hope it all turns out ok and keep us posted!

Beckybecks
18-04-16, 14:08
Yes I get this too. At Christmas time when I'm looking forward to a lovely family time and the best time of the year, I just fall to pieces because my anticipation and excitement turns to anxiety and panic. I believe that my mind misinterprets the emotions and I fear any unusual feelings. When I think about it, it seems ridiculous that I can't feel any emotion without being reduced to panic. It's a habit that I find difficult to break. But I do believe it's possible ��