PDA

View Full Version : Worst Weekend :(

LiziJenks
17-04-16, 20:32
I posted a few days ago about having awful tension headaches and now things have got worse! I was at work on Friday when the room started spinning and I went really dizzy. This automatically set panic in and I freaked out thinking it was all sorts. I managed to last the day and then went home, got in bed and panicked. The room was still spinning, my head was killing and something just didn't feel right. I rang the doctors and he agreed to see me, he did all the usual tests and said it is just a tension headache and perhaps labyrinthitis (not sure if I have spelt that right). How can a tension headache be so disabling? Anyway all weekend I have felt like the room is spinning, the back of my head has been so tense and I have struggled to keep my head upright for more than a few hours. The doctor prescribed prochlorperazine to help the spinning feeling but stupidly I googled them and it says don't take with citalopram? He also told me to stop taking painkillers as these can cause headaches if you take them frequently. So I am in a mess, I have work tomorrow and all I can think about is I am going to go really dizzy, have a panic attack and not be able to stay at work. Has anyone else had labyrinthitis? Or extremely bad tension headaches? anyone reassurance/help/suggestions I will be extremely grateful! Thank x

countrygirl
17-04-16, 21:12
My friend had very bad labyrinthitis last autumn and she was housebound for 4 weeks and bedbound for the first 5 days. Usually if you lay down the dizziness/spinning goes away but as soon as you sit up or try and stand then it comes back badly and usually feel or are sick - is this you?
I have very damaged neck with very tense neck muscles and this causes me to have attacks of spinning vertigo usually lasting from seconds to up to 15 mins but I never feel sick with it and it does not get better when I lay down in fact this can trigger it off so this is totally different from labyrinthitis.
Tense neck muscles can also cause severe headaches usually at the back of the head or in the temples.

My friend who had the labyr so badly was told by the Dr that if she developed stoke symptoms ( loss of movement/droopy face etc) then she was to go to hospital but this would be very rare cause of vertigo and otherwise although the symptoms were horrible they were not life threatening and there was little the Dr could do for her. She took the prochlorperazine for 2 days to stop the sickness as she was very sick with it.

Severe anxiety can also make you very dizzy.

If it is just plain old labyrinthitis then your brain adjusts to the virus afflicted ear nerve in time and the vertigo goes away but it can take weeks and weeks or it can get better in days.

I totaly sympathise as I get awful anxiety when I get attacks of vertigo and usually feel very unsteady inbetween the attacks as well.