PDA

View Full Version : Propanorol and Alcohol

MrTense
18-04-16, 09:18
Hi, could anyone confirm if Alcohol reduces the effects of alcohol. I suffer from a mild panic disorder however in certain situations it can get severe. I have a 15 hour flight to Thailand soon so the doctor prescribed me for some propanorol for the flight and for general times when my anxiety could get really bad.

I went to visit a friend in Birmingham yesterday and had to get a train up there for 4 hours on my own. The night before I had been drinking as I was at a street party in London, I used the Propanrol but to be honest I still felt a little tense after taking 1 10MG so I upped to 40 all together. Whislt my panic never felt like hitting a peak it certainly was still there physically.

Whilst in Birmingham I still had a few glasses of wine with my friend as you do. On the way home I did 40 MG an hour before the train and then another 20 MG when on it. I felt really panic for the first hour; the butterflies and knots in my stomach were fairly intense.

I just want to know weather the alcohol dumbs the effect of the drug or if I potentially need something a little more sedative for a 15 hour flight. I'm not quiet sure I could do 15 hours like I felt on the train.... well saying that I have no choice!

Many thanks.

MyNameIsTerry
18-04-16, 11:13
According to Drugs.com this is the effect of mixing the two:

Moderate
propranolol ethanol
Applies to: propranolol, Alcohol (contained in alcoholic beverages) (ethanol)

Propranolol and ethanol may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Propranolol is one you normally take daily in a specific regime so did your GP say it could be used in the way you are doing so?

MrTense
18-04-16, 11:37
My GP told me to use it as and when needed. Yesterday was the first time I tried it and I thought it would be good test for the flight. I can't really say I felt it doing much however I am aware the alcohol may have reduced the effects therefore would be nice to know before I rely on them for a 15 hour flight!