PDA

View Full Version : Being referred for sigmoidoscopy can anyone relate??

chatty girl
18-04-16, 19:06
Hi guys

So I've just seen the doctor who's referring me for a sidmoidoscopy.

I've had the dreaded piles for years and they often bleed on wiping but the other day about an hour after going to the loo I went for a wee and for some reason looked down the pan and there were 3 drops of blood spreading in the water. I wiped and it was definitely from my bottom!

Doctor thinks its the piles but because there's no cut or evidence of bleeding their sending me for the test.

Have any of you ever experienced anything I mentioned?

I'm absolutely convinced its cancer!!!!

😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

lleo2211
19-04-16, 08:47
Maybe it was just left over blood from when you did last go the loo and the piles caused it and its only released this time. When I had blood it was a lot more than 3 drops.

I know it's petrifying but try not to be too worried, I'm going for my sigmoidoscopy tomorrow. Hopefully when you have yours it will put your mind to rest, I'm hoping mine does.

Take care.

chatty girl
19-04-16, 12:42
Thanks for your reply, I really am getting myself worked up about it, I've even arranged to see a private consultant thur!!!!!

Was your blood just random not involving any going to the toilet?

Dawn ��

lleo2211
19-04-16, 13:18
No, Mine was after going the toilet. Though I'm not sure I would have noticed it otherwise.

chatty girl
20-04-16, 06:07
Good luck today, let us know how you get on xx

lleo2211
20-04-16, 07:13
Thank you. Going in an hour :(

lleo2211
20-04-16, 15:29
Been for my sidmoidoscopy now, After filling in the forms when I arrived there was an hour wait before my Enema which was quite stressful. Not sure why the wait was. Then I had the Enema and another hour wait even though it had it's effect in 5 minutes.

I was a bit worried though as I didn't feel fully empty and I didn't want to go through the procedure again if it wasn't clear enough on the camera. I heard them tell another patient that he would probably have to have another test another time as his enema didn't work fully.

Anyway after another hour wait I went into the camera room and had the procedure done it took about 15 minutes in total, Not sure what I was looking at to be honest on the screen. Just lot's pink skin .. lol
It did hurt me quite a bit at several times, I was diagnosed as having IBS quite a few years ago and supposedly it's more painful if you have that. But it was bearable.

After it was all over It all turned out fine and they said the bleeding was just from a couple of internal hemorrhoids. They did say could do something with them but I didn't see the point as apart from the small amount of bleeding they don't bother me and now I know what the bleeding was from I feel very relieved.

I'm sure yours will go probably smoother than mine chatty girl especially if you don't have any delays like I did.

chatty girl
20-04-16, 21:20
Brilliant lleo, I'm glad you got it sorted and the all clear of course.

I saw the consultant this afternoon, they had a cancellation, he was lovely, he did some sort of internal examination abd said he can't see any reason for the bleed and he really thinks its nothing to worry about but it would be silly not to follow up by having the sigmoidoscopy on the nhs, so I'm back on the waiting list but I feel so reassured now I'm glad I forked out to see him.

xx

lleo2211
20-04-16, 22:06
I'm so glad you are feeling reassured now chatty girl after the consultant, I was considering seeing a private consultant as it was such a long time from the gp referral to the consultant. Hopefully like me your NHS sigmoidoscopy won't be too long. The actual time from consultant to sigmoidoscopy for me was very quick.
Have a lovely week.

chatty girl
21-04-16, 05:44
Thank you. how long did you have to wait for your sigmoidoscopy? My doctor said 8 weeks or so? Xx

lleo2211
21-04-16, 08:33
It took me about 8 weeks to get the Consultant appointment from the GP, So when I had the consultant appointment on a Tuesday I assumed it would be the same time again for the test. But when I got the letter for the test it said the following Wednesday for the test. So just over a week.
I was happy really about this but the worrying side of me then started thinking why is it being done so urgently.
I think though it's more to do with the fact our NHS area has just had two endoscope departments set up last year.
I was seriously considering going private if it had been too many weeks but it's too expensive really so I didn't want to do that.
I'll have my Fingers crossed it is actually quicker than 8 weeks for you when you get the letter.

chatty girl
21-04-16, 09:26
Thank you, the consultant I saw yesterday did a little test thing but I can't remember what he called it flustered to much to listen! I think he said sigmoidoscopy of some sort but I'm wwaiting for his secretary to ring me.

Do you feel better now x

lleo2211
21-04-16, 11:08
Yes I feel better now, certainly relieved. Thanks for asking.
Still a little bloated from yesterday though, They pump you full of air while it's being done. And I was achy afterwards.

I know there is a mini scopey thing that can be done by doctors so I guess you had this so they could see a little inside you to make sure nothing was serious.

chatty girl
21-04-16, 11:16
I just checked and the consultant did a regid sigmoidoscopy and I'm being referred for a flexible sigmoidoscopy which must have been what you had xx

lleo2211
21-04-16, 14:42
Oh that's good, It sounds like consultant was quite thorough ... My consultant just put her finger up my bottom :blush:

Pepperpot
26-04-16, 23:44
I have had the flexible sigmoidoscopy. When you sit on loo you will be putting pressure on your piles and they will bleed. Mine did. Horrible. x

unsure_about_this
21-05-16, 09:44
I had a sigmoidoscopy a couple of years ago because I was having really bad abdominal pains, struggled to go to the toilet at times (I thought I had the dreaded bowel cancer) all what was found was a small pouch which I could have had since birth. I did not need keyhole and is no life threat. the consultant I had told me and my parents it is quite common for people to have these types of pouches about 2.5% of the UK population has one.

The prep was the worst thing for me. I did not enjoy the sigmoidoscopy but thankfully the team who did mine were very nice and help me control my breathing.

Don't bottle it out.

Katie55
17-06-16, 21:54
I had a colonoscopy because I had so much bleeding. I lost a lot of blood and became anaemic. It's quite unusual for piles to have such severe consequences but the same thing happened to one of my relatives. Anyway, the colonoscopy was fine and my piles were banded. No pain and I'm so glad I had it done!

tana49
02-05-18, 23:36
Hi
Can anyone tell me...
Whats the difference between a sigmoidoscopy and a colonoscopy?
I'm having a colonoscopy soon but what is a sigmoidoscopy for?
thx