PDA

View Full Version : Back pains, fear of cancer, unable to function

atvmike
18-04-16, 22:03
So a month ago I had some abnormal bloods indicating a possible pancreatic problem. My doctor wanted more bloods and a CT but this result throw me into a tailspin. I couldn't eat or function at all. I was convinced I had pancreatic cancer and weeks to live. I was preparing to say goodbye to my children and completely broke down.

A few days later I had the follow up blood tests and they were all clear. He said the elevated levels were probably nothing and maybe even caused by drinking alcohol the night before. He said he didn't think I even needed a scan but I could keep the appointment if I wanted. It was going to be two months to get CT through the public healthcare system, so I opted to pay for a private MRI.

I've been in a mental nightmare ever since. My back pain comes and goes but its there every day. It's more discomfort than outright pain. A tight, sometimes burning, dull feeling around my mid/upper back right along either side of my spine, worse when sitting for extended periods. Sometimes I get some twinges in either shoulder, or my ribs feel tender. I also have a few vertebrae that feel bruised if you push hard on them. Initially I was scared it was pancreatic cancer referring pain to my back, but now I'm much more concerned that it's a spinal tumor.

I had my MRI last week and should get the results very soon. It was an abdominal MRI though and even if its clear I'm worried it won't see my spine where I think there also may be a problem.

I'm driving myself insane. I'm medicated now on Lexapro for a month and it helps a bit, but I'm still popping Ativan like candy trying to make myself forget about being "riddled with cancer".

Anyone had similar back issues that might shed some light on this? I did have what my doctor thought was an ulcer for the last few months but it seems to have cleared up on a heavy dose of PPI which I am still on. I have had GERD from time to time in the past as well.

Cal83
18-04-16, 22:44
It's very likely to be related to you being anxious. Sometimes you can be tense without even realising it. I've had bad anxiety for a few days now and my neck and jaw have become more and more painful. At times my upper back has ached intensely. It's a vicious cycle. You will experience the aches/pains/tingles and in turn become more anxious, thus exacerbating the symptoms. Try to relax. Breath deeply and focus your mind. The symptoms should ease. I understand your worries and am going through the same. Getting checked out thoroughly by a doctor should ease your concerns too.