PDA

View Full Version : New Symptom

Stu M
08-03-07, 11:06
Hi,

Not posted for a while as I thought I was 'on the mend', but kept popping in to see what has been happening, thanks to everyone that has helped me in the past, and Im hoping someone can help me now with something that has got me pretty scared today.

I have suffered with ectopics for a number of years now, and over the last couple of months I have been coping pretty well with them, letting them pass, carrying on as well as I can with normal life. The main thing is that they are normally single 'skipped beats' with no racing or fast heart beat associated with it, the other thing I should say is that my heart has always in the past felt 'soft' (if that makes any sense) whilst I have a skipped beat, even the thump when it kicks back in is a soft thump.

Well last night I decided to take my wife and son out for a meal, and as I took my second sip of beer before the food came my heart went into a very weird rythm which I have never had before. It felt like it was going into a skipped beat but didnt come back with the thump! It carried on feeling like it wasnt beating for a good 10 seconds a which point I stood up and told my wife something was very wrong, I then paced to another chair in the room, sat down and then my heart beated fast (but not very fast) but VERY hard, it felt like it was beating against the my sternum and although not painfull, felt very uncomfortable to the point of nearly painfull, ie hard, not soft like normal. I sat and remembered something someone once told me, take a full breath and hold it, which I did, and it did subside. Lasted about a minute in all (although felt a lot longer), afterwards I was shaky and a bit emotional, but eventually calmed down.

This morning however I cant get it out of my head, this didnt feel normal, should I see a GP, or is it just a form of Palpitations Ive never had before. To be honest it scared me a lot. Sorry for rambling, im still on edge this morning. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks

Stu

ceecee
08-03-07, 12:01
hi stu
glad you are getting better!
if you are worried go to your GP,not because theres anything wrong but just to get the reassurance that you need,seeing as you,ve been alot better you don,t want to start worrying again(and your anxiety getting worse)
take care
rach

Stu M
08-03-07, 14:00
Thanks for the reply Rach :)

I think your right, it would be better to see my GP for some reassurance before my anxiety gets too bad again.

I have worked very hard to improve lately and I have a sinking feeling this morning in the pit of my stomach which is panic and anxiety (I know) and I dont want it to take over again.

Im told this new feeling is palpitations, but its a shock as it was a whole new feeling for me, and I thought I knew palpitations/skipped beats so well too. I think thats why its freaking me so much.

I will try and keep my negative thoughts at bay, and get checked out.

Thanks again.

Stu

cazza
08-03-07, 17:01
Hi Stu
I have got to say i have had a few of these and they are the scariest ones ever! It seems like your heart stops beating and is not going to start again and then it goes so fast to catch up also where you panic as well. When i have had these ones which are thankfully not that often they have thrown me into such worry and depression.......but im still here. My cardiologist said it is just where you have a run of missed beats together and nothing to worry about easier said than done i know
just to let you know i know how you feel
keep your chin up carol

Stu M
08-03-07, 19:30
Thanks Carol,

As ever your always there to help me calm down.

It was particularly scary last night, and when I seemed to be doing so well, still feel a bit better tonight. On with the fight :)

Cheers

Stu