PDA

View Full Version : Does it work?

AFin26
19-04-16, 11:31
Hello all,

I have been suffering from anxiety badly for about 18 months and I have thus far not taken any medication.

However my therapy doesn't appear to be working and as such l am looking at other means.

I suppose my main symptoms are nervousness, panic, lack of appetite/sleep and gut related issues.

My question really is, does medication actually help?

And I have read things about side effects which has scared me. Am I to be worried about this as well?

To be honest I just want something to help me take the edge off, so I can focus on my improved state of mind (if that's possible) and beat it.

Thanks everyone

Superworrier
19-04-16, 11:40
Hey I have had anxiety for many years and due to an inbuilt fear of any medication of any sorts I always ran when the word medication was mentioned .

But a few months ago I hit the deck running I mean never felt so much in hell .

Well I started Sereltine about four weeks ago atbthe moment my emotions are up and down and my appetite seems bad but saying this my friends and family say I am calmer and I am not as they say chasing my tail so much .

Taking medication is a huge decision and I think it's a very personal one I too got to then stage where I thought no amount of therapy would ever help me .
I am now back in therapy along side the medication and I am hoping this is the turning point .

Good luck on your journey .

debs71
19-04-16, 12:37
It has worked for me.....however, it has not totally stopped my anxiety, but then meds are NOT designed to.

The thing that Escitalopram - the SSRI drug I have taken on and off for 13 years now - has done for me is take the edge of the very worst and most frightening symptoms of anxiety and panic. I was literally scared of everything, analysing every little thing about myself and the world around me, had depersonalisation, a racing heart, and the list goes on. For me, the meds squashed all of that, gave me back a sense of normality and then let me finally attend my counselling sessions, as I had cancelled time and time again because my panic was so bad.

As Superworrier said, meds are a personal decision. Some people choose not to go there at all, preferring to deal with their mental health issues through other means. I would have liked to have done that too, but frankly it just wasn't helping me. I was in a constant state of fear, and no amount of therapy or alternative treatment would have helped.

I think of meds as like a crutch, that took the weight of anxiety off, not a total and utter cure. As I said, I still have anxiety. I still feel the niggling of it, and the niggling of a panic attack sometimes, but I now have the ability to rationalise and work through it, without it spiralling.....that is the difference meds make.

Last month, my anxiety was really bothering me. Just feeling very edgy. I asked my GP about meds and if they can lose their effectiveness, but he said that the meds simply bring down what is the 'abnormal levels' of anxiety.....the levels that disrupt our lives and scare us senseless. Meds are not supposed to obliterate ALL anxiety. They just bring it back down to the normal anxiety that we all feel.

As for side effects, that is inescapable with starting meds, but it is important to stress that not everyone has the same experiences. Some people feel very few - just some nausea, drowsiness, a bit spaced out.....others feel things more intensely. It is very subjective.....BUT....side effects do NOT last forever. I had them for about 2-3 weeks, and then felt loads better. They are just a necessary stage to get through with the promise of feeling way better and so much less anxious.

There are a lot of scare stories about meds out there....most of them - IMO - complete rubbish. Meds are demonised by some, and this can be hugley detrimental and damaging to sufferers who could really gain a lot of relief and help from them, but are scared because of all of the hocus pocus scaremongering.

Nobody can make the decision to start meds or not but you....I wish you all the best! x

shiznit76
19-04-16, 15:41
It has to be said, most people who have success with medication don't end up back here, so it is mainly the fail stories we hear of rather than positive tales, I am guilty of this myself. Don't rule out starting medication, they definitely have their place is helping you recover

livefree83
23-04-16, 15:51
Medication should be the last resort. I would try CBT therapy or counseling first for at least three months. Medications that work best for anxiety are SSRIs and (last resort) benzodiazepines. SSRIs can have unpleasant side effects. Benzos don't really have side effects while taking the medication but coming off the medication can be challenging as withdrawal symptoms may occur. I would recommend therapy first and also research coping techniques that with help you with anxiety. Realize anxiety and panic are just feelings and they cannot harm you. Once you truly believe that, you will see how much you improve. Good luck :)