PDA

View Full Version : Sinus infection... or is it a tumor?

LiamRoseic
20-04-16, 05:40
I'm new here and have been having so much anxiety about my health for months... Lately though I've been getting headaches, a lot. About a week to a week and a half ago, I had the worst headache of my life that did not go away with any medication. It's subsided but since then I've still had a headache and feel pressure in my head. I don't have a runny nose, though I think it's sometimes stuffy. Think because if so, it's hardly there. My left ear also hurts sometimes and always when I press on it even the slightest. Usually my headache is on the left side but sometimes, it's all over. My right pupil is also sometimes slightly, very slightly more dilated than the left. I'm not the only who's noticed and it does go away, it always constricts to light evenly too.

I went to the doctor yesterday and explained everything. She looked into my eyes and had me follow her finger and at the moment it was fine. She looked into my ears and asked me to plug my nose and blow then let go. She said based on that it seemed like a sinus infection. She gave me some antibiotics that are new to me and I haven't taken them because they are rather dangerous, with a lot of serious side affects. I called today and asked for a different one and by tomorrow I should have them.

I've also had weakness in my legs and arms, sometimes I even almost faint. The almost fainting has been going on for about a month, before I even got the headaches. However, that could be due to my anxiety even though it's not always when I am currently experiencing any.

I'm worried that it could be a tumor :( The doctor did say that if the antibiotics don't fix it then I need an MRI

georgewing
20-04-16, 06:11
Well its a problem but dont be so negative and thinking at a tumor because its not .

LiamRoseic
20-04-16, 06:46
How do you know it's not a tumor though?

KatiePink
20-04-16, 06:57
It's easy to relate all the symptoms you are having to one thing which makes you feel like it's something serious, but from what you have listed, personally experience tells me this is stress/anxiety related.

I have suffered with severe headaches and have done a recent thread on this right sided ear pain i've been getting, i can't even touch the outside of my ear without excruciating pain. I recently had a sinus infection(a few months back) and it was horrendous.

You don't need to have the runny/stuffy nose and all of those symptoms for it to be your sinus's, you can still have a build up of sinus pressure, mine stuck around for weeks and weeks after i was better. It's dreadful i know and bad headaches are scary.

Some of the symptoms you've listed sound like mine, do you ever get jaw pain/tenderness in the jaw area at all?

If your GP thought at all that your symptoms sounded related to a tumor they would not dismiss this, tumor symptoms are extremely severe and i don't believe you would be questioning whether it was or not you would know about it x

---------- Post added at 06:54 ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 ----------

I didn't take any medication, i used a decongestant called olbas oil even though i didn't feel 'congested', i also used warm flannels/cloths pressed on my sinus area's, so cheekbones under eyes, nose, and across the top of your eyebrows,

Relaxing your neck and shoulder muscles is also important for helping with any sinus pressure/headaches

---------- Post added at 06:57 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

I've also had weakness in my legs and arms, sometimes I even almost faint. The almost fainting has been going on for about a month, before I even got the headaches. However, that could be due to my anxiety even though it's not always when I am currently experiencing any.

I'm worried that it could be a tumor :( The doctor did say that if the antibiotics don't fix it then I need an MRI

Just to note you don't need to be currently feeling anxiety for symptoms to affect you, they can come randomly after a period of anxiety and stick around long after.
Don't just rely on antibiotics, do what ever you can to help yourself, look up home remedies for relieving sinus headaches and pressure and try them each day

LiamRoseic
20-04-16, 07:02
It's easy to relate all the symptoms you are having to one thing which makes you feel like it's something serious, but from what you have listed, personally experience tells me this is stress/anxiety related.

I have suffered with severe headaches and have done a recent thread on this right sided ear pain i've been getting, i can't even touch the outside of my ear without excruciating pain. I recently had a sinus infection(a few months back) and it was horrendous.

You don't need to have the runny/stuffy nose and all of those symptoms for it to be your sinus's, you can still have a build up of sinus pressure, mine stuck around for weeks and weeks after i was better. It's dreadful i know and bad headaches are scary.

Some of the symptoms you've listed sound like mine, do you ever get jaw pain/tenderness in the jaw area at all?

If your GP thought at all that your symptoms sounded related to a tumor they would not dismiss this, tumor symptoms are extremely severe and i don't believe you would be questioning whether it was or not you would know about it x

---------- Post added at 06:54 ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 ----------

I didn't take any medication, i used a decongestant called olbas oil even though i didn't feel 'congested', i also used warm flannels/cloths pressed on my sinus area's, so cheekbones under eyes, nose, and across the top of your eyebrows,

Relaxing your neck and shoulder muscles is also important for helping with any sinus pressure/headaches

---------- Post added at 06:57 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

Just to note you don't need to be currently feeling anxiety for symptoms to affect you, they can come randomly after a period of anxiety and stick around long after.
Don't just rely on antibiotics, do what ever you can to help yourself, look up home remedies for relieving sinus headaches and pressure and try them each day

Thank you so much for replying... But what about the dilated pupil? I didn't even notice it first, my girlfriend did. It does come and go though... And couldn't this be the early stages or possibly that the tumor isn't that big or is pressing on some part of the brain they usually don't? I haven't been sick in months either... My doctor said that if my symptoms don't go away with antibiotics that they will do an MRI... But you don't think it's a tumor and just a sinus infection?

KatiePink
20-04-16, 07:09
Thank you so much for replying... But what about the dilated pupil? I didn't even notice it first, my girlfriend did. It does come and go though... And couldn't this be the early stages or possibly that the tumor isn't that big or is pressing on some part of the brain they usually don't? I haven't been sick in months either... My doctor said that if my symptoms don't go away with antibiotics that they will do an MRI... But you don't think it's a tumor and just a sinus infection?

I don't think it's a tumor in the slightest but that's not going to re assure you. If your doctor did a little eye test then that's good, i don't know if it's possible for you to get a free eye check from your optician that may help with your fears.

I have sometimes had problems with my left eye and i put it down to the migraines i used to get, my eye would shrink a lot and water, the pupil was less re active to light than the other, i had the back of my eyes checked for any pressure and all was fine.
I just think the best thing you can do is try and help yourself for now, not saying forget about your worry because i know that's extremely hard, just put a pin in it for now and put your efforts/concentration in to treating what they say it is and see if you find your symptoms decreasing which should give you peace of mind x

LiamRoseic
20-04-16, 07:19
I don't think it's a tumor in the slightest but that's not going to re assure you. If your doctor did a little eye test then that's good, i don't know if it's possible for you to get a free eye check from your optician that may help with your fears.

I have sometimes had problems with my left eye and i put it down to the migraines i used to get, my eye would shrink a lot and water, the pupil was less re active to light than the other, i had the back of my eyes checked for any pressure and all was fine.
I just think the best thing you can do is try and help yourself for now, not saying forget about your worry because i know that's extremely hard, just put a pin in it for now and put your efforts/concentration in to treating what they say it is and see if you find your symptoms decreasing which should give you peace of mind x

I did have my girlfriend look into the symptoms of a brain tumor (I never read myself) and she said that it's a slight possibility that I have one. The doctors where I live are known to be not that good. There have been cases of someone diagnosed with a sinus infection for it to turn out to be a tumor. I know anxiety never helps but I am so worried and about to break. Can I also ask why you're sure that it's not a tumor?

KatiePink
20-04-16, 07:26
Solely based on the fact that i have diagnosed myself with a brain tumor at least 1000 times in the last 5 years, utterly convinced beyond any doubt that i was dying because of my symptoms, yet here i am and i am fine. Also because what you are saying does not sound like brain tumor symptoms to me at all i.e seizures ect

Add into that the fact that you've seen a doctor, if they dismissed you with a sinus infection and it turned out to be a tumor they could lose their license, it doesn't really matter what I or anyone thinks it matters what you think. Believe me i;ve been there so i know how you're feeling and you can't shake that "what if?" or "This is definitely real"

All i'm suggesting is whilst you are allowing time for these antibiotics to work, focus on helping yourself and trying to stick a pin in the whole tumor thing, what have you got to lose? You already said you're going to try the antibiotics, so you may as well put everything in to it x

LiamRoseic
20-04-16, 09:06
The pressure in my head has also gotten a lot worse over the past couple hours, it's also now in my face. Especially when bending over or laying down.. I sometimes see spots in my vision and had a spot in my head hurt really bad (worse than the rest) then felt like it shot across my head. The pain moves around... Are sinus infections really this bad?

KatiePink
20-04-16, 09:12
Yes for sure. Mine was absolutely terrible. Like you say especially when bending over.

Josh1234
20-04-16, 15:25
when you say weakness, you prob mean fatigue. weakness from brain issues means you can barely hold a coffee cup.

LiamRoseic
21-04-16, 01:03
Weakness as in it is hard for me to stand. I got new antibiotics, Sulfamethoxazole-TMP DS tab.. I'm hesitant to take them due to the side effects, though the ones listed aren't as bad as the previous antibiotics I was supposed to take. I'm also worried about a life threatening allergic reaction. Maybe I should try something like a decongestant or something.. After all, this sinus infection could be caused due to allergies. I usually get them pretty bad this time of year. I usually get really itchy eyes, runny nose, and excessive sneezing though and I haven't gotten any of that.

LiamRoseic
22-04-16, 09:02
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1139434946113412&set=a.155684561155127.33662.100001407530300&type=3&theater These are my eyes under even light from the flash on my phone. When they aren't constricted, one is still bigger.

---------- Post added at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was at 00:55 ----------

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1139434946113412&set=a.155684561155127.33662.100001407530300&type=3&theater

---------- Post added at 01:01 ---------- Previous post was at 00:56 ----------

I don't think it let me post the picture, it said it did but I don't see it... I am so worried. My pupils never used to be like this, I would know because I've watched them. Help, please.

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 ----------

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1139434946113412&set=a.155684561155127.33662.100001407530300&type=3&theater

Beckybecks
22-04-16, 10:54
I diagnosed myself with a brain tumor some years ago. I felt a lot of pressure in my head and had this strange fuzzy feeling constantly. I got very anxious about it. And it felt worse of course.

The doctor said sinusitus and gave me meds, but it continued along with the anxiety.

Eventually I found a doctor who explained to me about the two hormones our bodies produce called adrenaline and cortisol and how an imbalance can cause this stuffy feeling in your head.

He prescribed vitamin c, Pantothenic acid, vitamin B and magnesium, a healthy diet, rest, light exercise and to find ways to alleviate my anxiety.

This has helped me a lot. Although the symptoms do return from time to time and especially during times of stress.

But it never gets worse. And of course, knowing what it is helps too.

LiamRoseic
22-04-16, 11:14
I diagnosed myself with a brain tumor some years ago. I felt a lot of pressure in my head and had this strange fuzzy feeling constantly. I got very anxious about it. And it felt worse of course.

The doctor said sinusitus and gave me meds, but it continued along with the anxiety.

Eventually I found a doctor who explained to me about the two hormones our bodies produce called adrenaline and cortisol and how an imbalance can cause this stuffy feeling in your head.

He prescribed vitamin c, Pantothenic acid, vitamin B and magnesium, a healthy diet, rest, light exercise and to find ways to alleviate my anxiety.

This has helped me a lot. Although the symptoms do return from time to time and especially during times of stress.

But it never gets worse. And of course, knowing what it is helps too.

Did you see the picture I posted? Because my pupils are also unequal in size.

KatiePink
22-04-16, 12:56
They look exactly the same to me

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

You're looking for something that isn't there and creating it with your mind

Jeffer
25-04-16, 19:18
Did you see the picture I posted? Because my pupils are also unequal in size.

They are about as equal as you can get. I know it's hard, but try to relax.

Wilburis
10-12-16, 13:46
Hi

I just wondered how you now.

What happened abut your unequal pupils?

x

Boydo
10-12-16, 21:45
Hey Liamrose

You are not alone, my anxiety was bad and what you are saying was my main obsession for the best part of a year! it subsided and i moved on, recently it came back and i have noticed my pupils has gone uneven again. if they still constrict to light then all is good, adrenaline and anxiety can do some messed up weird things to the human body and mind! i had my anxiety going so bad but my adrenline pumping so bad i tried running away from it ... of course this did not work and made me worst followed by head pressure etc which then led me on the vicious cycle of thinking it was most definitely a tumor .. this is not true! pressure on the head is not possible on a tumor as there is no pain receptors on your brain itself, what it actually is your shoulders! when you are anxious you become so tense it pulled all the muscles on top your head and on some people it is so bad the top of their head also feels sore to touch! hope this helps ! i found trying to relax your shoulder and you will notice you have been tensed the whole time! sure enough after a day the pressure subsides!

take care
hope this info helps

swgrl09
10-12-16, 21:46
I posted a lot several years ago about sinus infections and my experience with a really chronic infection due to allergies. A lot of the symptoms were similar to yours. Once I got my allergies under control, things got a lot better. And the oddest part to me was that I never had a lot of congestion or anything out of my nose. But it was more of an inflamed lining of the sinuses