PDA

View Full Version : Help me stop googling!

FeelingDown
20-04-16, 17:30
I just can't stop. I have a constant fear that I have some sort of serious illness. I even go to the extent of imagining the scenario of the doctors breaking me the bad news. I start to wonder how my family will react and then I start to feel so down and cry.

It all started from these strange aches and pains I was having, which then progressed to digestive issues and now everyday I am on some sort of cancer board comparing my symptoms. I've had many blood test done by the doctor and they have all come back normal.

I've also lost a considerable amount of weight, although my appetite has decreased significantly as well. I would say I have lost around 5kg in 2 and half months. Is that a lot??

Urg, I just can't stop worrying!! :weep::weep:

KatiePink
20-04-16, 18:05
Sounds a lot like me. I still do it so i can't really give great advice, but ive started putting nomorepanic at the end of anything i google or anxiety i.e

tingling in thigh anxiety
rib pain nomorepanic

This way you won't get all the scary pages that lead you straight to the least likely thing and will get posts from other people with anxiety and get to see more logical answers x

Holds1325
20-04-16, 18:06
Hi,

I'm sorry you're worrying about your health.

Just know that you're definitely not the only one that has done that at some point. Really everything you're describing is exactly what I went through. I did get over it and I'm fine now with no health problems currently.

Was there a particular event that sparked this? We all have aches, pains and digestive problems here and there, thats just life. However, the obsession is usually caused by some underlying fear sparked by some event related or unrelated to your worries.

There is no trick to stop googling you just have to make a mental stop for when the urge presents itself. Googling your symptoms only fuels the obsession making it worse and yourself depressed/anxious as a result, its best to practice distracting yourself whenever you feel the need to google your symptoms.

Fishmanpa
20-04-16, 18:08
This is an extreme solution but if you're really serious about stopping the Googling you'll need the help of a friend or loved one.

All browsers have parental controls and those that don't have add on apps that will work. Have your friend or loved one input all the sites you need to block and password protect it. You can also block sites using keywords so whatever your disease du jour is can be put in and it will block most sites containing that word or subject matter. Only they will know the password and are not to give it to you under any circumstances. Do this on all your internet connected devices and you're set.

Positive thoughts

Holds1325
20-04-16, 18:20
Ya know I never did think about setting parental controls back when I went through this. That would've been very helpful.

I did however, at home, ban myself from using my laptop, tablet, phone etc. and had my wife help quite a bit. Several friends and professionals told me to quit looking my symptoms up.

Did banning myself from electronics help? Absolutely it did however, I still found myself having that deep uncontrollable urge to GO LOOK and found myself even stopping into a library, asking to borrow a friends computer, or sneaking off with a tablet/phone to go look things up.

It wasn't until I finally had enough and said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH I am NOT googling this anymore, slowly, it took weeks, the urge left.

So whatever you can do to help the situation is best, sometimes it just takes putting your foot down and refusing to do it, but whatever you do to keep yourself away, it eventually works I promise you.

Fishmanpa
20-04-16, 18:34
however, I still found myself having that deep uncontrollable urge to GO LOOK and found myself even stopping into a library, asking to borrow a friends computer, or sneaking off with a tablet/phone to go look things up.

It's akin to quitting tobacco. I quit in August of 2013, went to vaping and totally off by November. Ironically, that was when I was diagnosed with H&N cancer... anyway....

To this day, I smell a good cigar or pipe and I get an intense craving. I even still dream I'm smoking once in a while. I think it's normal with any addiction that you've given up. Sneaking off to Google is like sneaking a smoke after you quit. The satisfaction is only momentary and the quilt is more detrimental.

Positive thoughts

FeelingDown
20-04-16, 19:43
Thanks for your reply guys. I honestly think you guys are right, I'm going to need to take some drastic measures. It's so annoying because I know the best person to help me is myself, but it's like a vicious cycle I just can't escape. My parents yesterday commented on my lack of interest in everything as well, even though I tried so hard to act as normal. I don't want them to worry so I don't really say what I'm really going through. I've had a couple of breakdowns with my husband and I just cried and cried :weep:

I want to be happy again, be my old self again. I don't want my family to suffer just because of me.

I hope we can all one day be free of this awful illness!