PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Anxiety

Samantha12
21-04-16, 04:35
Does anyone else find their anxiety worsening after Exercise? I recently did a workout and my heart was beating so fast I started panicking about its fast rate and it got worse. I started feeling dizzy and scared that my heart beat would never go back to normal and I would pass out! Anyone else experience this? Does anyone know how to control or deal with this? It is preventing me from getting in a complete workout because the fear always makes me stop early!

Josh1234
21-04-16, 05:45
Exercise is one of my biggest triggers.

Shazamataz
21-04-16, 08:01
I've had this for months as when my anxiety flared up in October last year most of my major panic attacks happened when I was exerting myself either in the garden or hiking with the dogs.

I've only recently managed to force myself to do heavier exercise than a stroll along the beach and so far so good. I think you just have to get on with it and know it is normal for exercise to raise your heart rate.

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-16, 08:18
I've been the same throughout mine. I had been off work a few months when my anxiety started for the first time and kept working out and I was taking a fair few supplements including some stimulating ones. I added a new strong one, which turned out to be too strong for me, which resulted in a big adrenaline rush. This caused me to spiral from there and exercise as well as any supplement became linked to my anxiety.

So, anything that brought that on was a problem from there whether it was walking or just carrying something a bit heavy upstairs, or just even going up the stairs!

My CBT therapist had me try to work on this by raising my heart rate and speeding up my breathing. She had me doing sprints. This is what I now understand to be a Behavioural Experiment. She asked me to think about how I felt when I stopped, the sensations and to notice how they reduce. This was tricky at first but after a certain number I did find I was becoming used to it and started to run a bit more.

I think it's probably one of those things that works well with exposure therapy, doing it in a stepped manner to pass through it.

I haven't beaten mine yet but I am much more able than back then. I have new problems with it and fatigue to battle with now. But I finally saw the end of the heart rate issue by running again later on when I was walking my dog. He gets excited and wants to run so I went with it. Again, it was tricky at first but then I got used to it. I reckon I slowed down on working on this, became complacent and drifted backwards a bit and this running pulled me back through it.

I guess part of it is a confidence thing.

insideout20
21-04-16, 09:20
thats a shame because i can tell you excersise is one of the biggest factors in getting over anxiety

Samantha choc lover
21-04-16, 10:32
Hi guys

I've had this problem with my anxiety too. Excercise is going to raise your heartbeat make you sweat, grt out of breath, it's meant to do that. It's very similar to some of the symptoms of panic. So when we recognise this during excercise we become 'FEARFUL', just like during panic. Try to relax into how you feel, don't mentally run from it. Your body will calm down by itself naturally because it 'HAS TO'. The same during panic. The more relaxed you are to the sensations, the less you will think about being scared of them. X

Justanutter
22-04-16, 09:00
I don't do any exercise. I am 59 and am terrified to even go for a walk. Just walking to and from the car park to work makes me feel as if I will collapse sometimes!

Was literally dragged out to the park with hubby last night as it was such a nice night so I thought okay, give it a go....was fine on the flat and feeling pleased with myself but then hubby veered off path up a very slight incline and bam...my heart rate went sky high and I went really hot....that has now confirmed that I have heart trouble to me...absolutely terrified of walking again now...I do have bad heart HA...ECG was ok but that's not enough. Been taken off betablockers recently and heart rate is very high and have been waking with a racing heart. Anxiety through the roof. I really want to be able to exercise :weep:

Samantha choc lover
22-04-16, 09:25
Hi

I've been just like you, as in, i've been so scared of exertion to the point i hadto sit down to vacum. I promise you that nothing bad will happen if your heart races!. Ecg's are quite good at detecting any problems. It's anxiety that is making you think something is wrong. Coming off your meds prob hasn't helped your confidence. I have been reading and listening to audio's by Dr Claire Weekes and that has helped me tremendously. If you're finding things really difficult at the moment though, perhaps you could go back and see your gp. There are other medications they could give you.

Justanutter
22-04-16, 13:07
Thanks SCL, yes, you're probably right. I have just been to my weekly therapy and she said I need to start slowly and let my heart recover from swapping meds, being full of adrenaline and getting it used to exertion. It's just so hard when you feel like you're about to die! I used to use Claire Weekes books years ago, they were really good.

Samantha choc lover
22-04-16, 17:58
Hi

I know the feeling!. But the good thing is, what we think will happen, actually won't. I think just build up slowly with the excercise, just gentle walking, swimming or anything you enjoy. I'm starting yoga soon. Something i have always wanted to do. You will get through this!.

misslove
22-04-16, 19:58
I hate doing cardio for this reason! I panic when I can feel my heart working hard and it makes me take it easy. I don't mind weight lifting and stuff but cardio is my enemy! After I have calmed down and showered I do feel better, my anxiety seems to be calmed for a bit and I'm ready for the day. ( I'm a housewife so that doesn't mean a lot :/)

ankietyjoe
24-04-16, 19:48
I've been the same throughout mine. I had been off work a few months when my anxiety started for the first time and kept working out and I was taking a fair few supplements including some stimulating ones. I added a new strong one, which turned out to be too strong for me, which resulted in a big adrenaline rush. This caused me to spiral from there and exercise as well as any supplement became linked to my anxiety.

So, anything that brought that on was a problem from there whether it was walking or just carrying something a bit heavy upstairs, or just even going up the stairs!

My CBT therapist had me try to work on this by raising my heart rate and speeding up my breathing. She had me doing sprints. This is what I now understand to be a Behavioural Experiment. She asked me to think about how I felt when I stopped, the sensations and to notice how they reduce. This was tricky at first but after a certain number I did find I was becoming used to it and started to run a bit more.

I think it's probably one of those things that works well with exposure therapy, doing it in a stepped manner to pass through it.

I haven't beaten mine yet but I am much more able than back then. I have new problems with it and fatigue to battle with now. But I finally saw the end of the heart rate issue by running again later on when I was walking my dog. He gets excited and wants to run so I went with it. Again, it was tricky at first but then I got used to it. I reckon I slowed down on working on this, became complacent and drifted backwards a bit and this running pulled me back through it.

I guess part of it is a confidence thing.

It's like I wrote this myself, about myself.

I have the added complication of dealing with two separate trips to A&E for persistent tachycardia (110-120bpm for several hours) meaning I find the 'it will go back down' mantras ineffective right now. I need to remind myself that in both cases I had an infection whilst being under extraordinary levels of stress. All tests came back fine, doctors had no explanation.

I do know that prolonged periods of inactivity due to heart anxiety really is digging a hole for yourself. And I'm in deep right now.

mnaha
24-04-16, 20:05
I don't do any exercise. I am 59 and am terrified to even go for a walk. Just walking to and from the car park to work makes me feel as if I will collapse sometimes!

Was literally dragged out to the park with hubby last night as it was such a nice night so I thought okay, give it a go....was fine on the flat and feeling pleased with myself but then hubby veered off path up a very slight incline and bam...my heart rate went sky high and I went really hot....that has now confirmed that I have heart trouble to me...absolutely terrified of walking again now...I do have bad heart HA...ECG was ok but that's not enough. Been taken off betablockers recently and heart rate is very high and have been waking with a racing heart. Anxiety through the roof. I really want to be able to exercise :weep:

I have a cardio fear too and am 61 . I get worried when my heart rate goes up and my doctor says I shouldn't but I have been hospitalized three times in my life and its been from dehydration causing my heart to stick at a fast speed. It was because of the dehydration that made it stick or it would have gone down.

I was so fearful of a fast heart beat that I kept asking the doctor what I should do when I had a fast heartbeat if it stayed up and he said just come back to the hospital and I told him that I was scared that I would have a heart attack and he said that no your heart can beat very fast for quite awhile with no damage and if it happened again to just come back and they would take care of it.

There was one thing they told me over and over and before I left. He said you really need to get your heartbeat up and let it stay there for awhile . He said it was good for it and not to worry it would be fine. So when I get scared that my heart is beating to fast I always remind myself what the doctors said. Also my wife said in all the time since last I was in the hospital that I complain and say my heart is beating fast she says its never really beat that fast and she doubts its ever been over 100.

She says everytime i have told her it was beating fast it wasn't so sometimes I feel its fast and just have to trust that she is correct. I hate worrying about the heartbeat and wish I could just forget about all of it. You are not alone there are so many of us that worry with the samething.