PDA

View Full Version : Spotting thoughts

KatiePink
21-04-16, 10:25
I am half way through my CBT course and have found today's module to be helpful and i am hopeful it will help me tackle some of the irrational thoughts i have, basically it is about spotted your thoughts and either noting them down or remembering them i.e "I am dying and nobody believes me"

Then challenging it with the below

3. Examine how fair, balanced and accurate this thought is.

Evidence:

What evidence is there that this thought is true?
Am I assuming things?
Is this the only possible explanation?
Is this completely true all of the time?
When I'm not feeling so bad what do I think?
When I've had this thought before what did I think that made me feel better?
Are there strengths or positives I am ignoring?
4. Replace unfair and inaccurate thoughts with alternative fairer thoughts.

Alternatives:

Is there an alternative explanation?
Have I considered both sides of the story?
Do I have the full facts?
What would I tell a friend?
What would a friend tell me?

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

More

Negative Filter:

This thinking error occurs when you focus on the negative information and reject the positive information, or believe that particular situations only happen to you.

Change It!

Take a moment to examine your mental filters – are you only letting negative information in?
Gather evidence – what evidence is there supporting your negative thought? What evidence is there contradicting your negative thought?
Notice how you react when something positive happens. Do you try and explain it away or accept it happily?
Practice accepting compliments!

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Catastrophising and Low Frustration Tolerance:

These thinking errors occur when we look at things as a complete disaster or impossible to cope with when this is not necessarily the case. This is often referred to as “Making a mountain out of a molehill.”

Change It!

Are you thinking fairly? Were you exaggerating how bad it was?
Change your language – replace words like “catastrophe” and “disaster” with words like “nuisance”, “inconvenience” and “annoyance”.
Consider alternatives – what else could be happening? Are there other reasons why things are that way?
Focus on the here and now – you can’t change the past or predict the future so focus your energy on how you can cope right now.
Are there other times that you have coped in difficult situations? Give yourself credit for your resilience in difficult times!

Hope it helps x