PDA

View Full Version : Lightheaded in the mornings

Samantha12
21-04-16, 18:08
Ever since I started having anxiety 6 years ago, I frequently get lightheaded. It's usually in the mornings that I am really lightheaded, like right now. At first I thought it might be an ear imbalance, but a trip to the doctor ruled that out. I also got a blood test to see if I'm anemic, and I am not. I don't know what it is! I am just frequently light headed, I never had this issue before and every time I go to the doctor they say there is nothing wrong. I am so worried that I have a brain tumor or something!!! I am very young however, and the doctor says here is nothing the matter with me, but I still can't help feeling afraid since there is still no explanation for the lightheadedness! Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Is this anxiety related or something worse?

countrygirl
21-04-16, 18:54
When we are anxious we don't breathe properly, usually we breathe a little too fast and a bit too shallow which changes slightly our body chemistry and this alone can make your feel lightheaded. Also in the morning our blood pressure is at its lowest so the combination of the two means alot of people me included can feel very waffy for the first 3-4 hours after getting out of bed.
I have a bad habit if I am worrying of not breathing enough, I tend to hold my breath and breathe very slowly due to my holding my muscles tense and this makes me very wobbly headed:)
Count your breaths per minute - more than 16 or less than 10 and this can make you feel wobbly headed.

Samantha12
21-04-16, 22:24
Thank you so much! Glad to know there is a simple explanation for this! I was just unaware that it could have to do something with my breathing! I do tend to have anxiety whenever I concentrate on my breathing and that causes my breathing to become uneven. Thank you again!

Holds1325
21-04-16, 22:31
Anxiety sufferers usually are very hypersensitive to their senses. The body moves blood straight from the head down to the legs when standing giving that light headed feeling very easily and some people are just more sensitive to it. Its completely harmless and normal and its best to just stand slowly and remember to keep hydrated. Eventually you won't notice it anymore.

Nicholebear
22-04-16, 01:07
I used to get like this really bad during the peak of my anxiety. I think it might also be that you haven't eaten yet in the morning and your blood sugar may be low. A normal person may not notice this but since people with anxiety tend to be hypersensitive, you may perceive the change more. Try leaving a banana or orange, maybe a granola bar next to your bed when you go to sleep, and eat it right when you wake up and see if that helps the feeling go away faster. That's what I did and it helped a lot to get me through the worst of my anxiety.