PDA

View Full Version : Well done Heather

lior
22-04-16, 01:08
Today on the bus a lady called Heather had a big panic attack and an ambulance got called. I went over to help her. I wasn't sure initially if she was having a panic attack. It did look like it could be a heart attack.

If you're on NMP Heather, well done. You got through a really scary moment in your life. It's over now - and it's time to make a change. Maybe you understand a bit better why it happened now? As I said - CBT really helps a lot of people understand what's happening in the lead up to a panic attack and during it.

Keep saying 'this will pass' to yourself. Because it will. You cannot die from a panic attack, no matter how overwhelming it is.

I told off one of the paramedics for being a bit patronising. Paramedics don't seem to be well trained with how to deal with panic attacks. It's a terrifying moment. Their ignorant scorn does not help the situation!

netminder1976
22-04-16, 01:20
First off, I hope Heather is feeling much better now. Second, good job to you also! She sounds like she's very lucky to have someone like you around that knew what she was feeling and how to try and cope. I can only imagine how tough it would be to have a full blown panic attack and be ridiculed by those who are supposed to help. Not everyone is as understanding as the next.