PDA

View Full Version : Flu-like feeling while on AD

neogenx
22-04-16, 08:23
Hi together.
First off I would like to apologize for my english. It is not perfect and might be confusing for some since I am Czech.
My problems began in November last year. I was put on Citalec (citalopram). I took it 3 weeks and in middle December it was changed to Trazodone. Beginning January I started to have flu-like feeling. It is difficult to describe. Simply the feeling you have when you are coming down with a flu or cold. Middle January doctor added Cipralex (Escitalopram) to Trazodone. Middle February she changed Trazodone to Mirtazapine. This is also my current medication (10mg Cipralex in the morning, 15mg Mirtazapine in the evening).
Anyway, since January I have had that bad flu-like feeling and it is not going away. Does or did anybody experience the same thing?
Thank you for any comment

Beckybecks
22-04-16, 08:43
I have that flu like feeling. It flares up about every six months or when I've had a bout of bad anxiety.
I've been told it's due to two hormones that are out of balance due to too much panic and anxiety. Adrenaline and cortisol.
I don't know exactly how it works but it seems to affect your immune system.
I try to stay healthy and take vitamins. Above all avoid stress and situations that trigger anxiety. (Easier said than done!)
Sorry that you're going through this, but I'm happy that I've found someone else that experiences this flu feeling.
By the way it never gets any worse and eventually goes away. Sometimes it only lasts days, but if I worry about it then it can last for weeks.
Oh by the way, I'm not on any medication so its not a side effect.

neogenx
22-04-16, 08:50
Thank you for your feedback. Actually I am looking for somebody having these problems while on antidepressants. It really makes me crazy. I am so exhausted by it. Not a long time before I was absolutely normal and healthful. :weep:

Beckybecks
22-04-16, 08:54
I understand. What I'm saying is that it most probably isn't due to the antidepressants at all. And more likely due to an imbalance of those two hormones I mentioned. This I was told by a Doctor.
Do you suffer from anxiety?

neogenx
22-04-16, 09:19
Yes, I was diagnosed with GAD. Nowadays I feel OK in terms of psyche. However my physical condition is poor due to this flu-like feeling and fatigue.

Beckybecks
22-04-16, 09:23
I've had GAD for 20 years. And for the past 10 years I've had flare-ups of this flu feeling.
I've posted on here about it but found very few people who had the same problem.
Do you feel almost as though you have a fever? But it never develops into anything?

neogenx
22-04-16, 09:29
Well sometimes I really feel like I have a higher temperature or even fever (that feeling, if you know what I mean). But I measure the temperature almost on daily basis to ensure that it is OK and always it is.

Beckybecks
22-04-16, 09:37
Yes, it sounds the same as what I experience. I don't feel ill enough to call the doctor or even go to bed, but I don't feel well.
Do some research about cortisol and adrenaline. They are what is responsible for this. The doctor explained it all to me years ago and it made sense but I can't quite remember all the details now.
He recommended that I take a high dose of Vitamin C, Vitamin B co. Magnesium and Pantothenic Acid. Get enough sleep. Light exercise like walking. Healthy eating habits. If you do that you'll get better. It works for me.

neogenx
22-04-16, 09:59
Thank you for your words and advice. I will try it. Problem is that here in Czech republic it is necessary to get kind of requisition from GP for immunology investigation and my GP is refusing to give me that because, according to his words, nothing points to immune problem ... he doesn't mind that I suffer from this almost 4 months :-(

dizzy daisy
22-04-16, 10:29
Yes, flu like feelings and general fatigue are my two horrible persistent symptoms. I'm not on meds and my anxiety is much calmer now since counselling and mindfulness. The thing that I'm working on now is just what you say - breaking the circle- I feel fatigued or unwell- thinking over what this could be- I feel fatigued bla bla and so it goes on.
The hardest part is ignoring feeling unwell. I have learnt to distract from other symptoms such as dizziness, general feelings of panic, but these last two things are hanging around.
Good advice regarding the slight hormone imbalance as a result of stress on the system- this would account for these feelings and of course bloods are fine so I know it's not a physical illness. I'm doing exactly what you recommend, diet, rest, vitamins etc - that's all we can do and get on with our lives xxxx

Beckybecks
22-04-16, 10:31
Doctors don't seem to be too interested. I've been to several over the years and after some blood tests which showed nothing they all lost interest.
When you mention anxiety they seem to dismiss you as they believe you are imagining illnesses. Except for one Doctor who explained about the adrenaline and cortisol.
Now that I know it's real and won't get worse I can live with it.

dizzy daisy
22-04-16, 10:49
Becky
My experience has been the same. Once the bloods came back clear they dismiss the symptoms as anxiety and don't seem too bothered. Xxxx

Beckybecks
22-04-16, 10:55
Which is why we have to help each other :)

neogenx
22-04-16, 11:05
Thank you, thank you both.
Really appreciate your words. I would like to go off meds, however I think that all my problems would then become much worse. What is strange for me is that all of these symptoms last for me even though I am on meds. I forgot to mention that, of course, I passed many and many tests and examinations (several ultrasounds, X-Ray, CT, colonoscopy, gastroscopy twice, several bloods) ... everything OK ...

dizzy daisy
22-04-16, 12:01
And thank goodness we do support each other, otherwise anxiety can be a very lonely place.
I think we all have to take some comfort in the fact we've had medical tests to rule out physical illness. It doesn't mean it's easy to deal with these physical symptoms though, but as Becky suggested, the best thing and only thing you can do now is to look after yourself in terms of diet, light exercise, vitamin supplements and don't be hard on yourself. Something that helped me in counselling was my therapist saying "if I told you I felt ill and is had to deal with some stressful events and now I feel anxious" what would I say to her. I said I would be kind to her, tell her it's understandable and that she needed to take care of herself etc. So, she said, when you talk to me about you- you use words like I'm disappointed, I'm fed up, I'll ruin the meal/ holiday, im a nuisance etc- why am I so cruel to me!! I didn't even think of that.
So now if I have a bad day, I just say oh well just have a rest and you'll be better tomorrow.
Xxxx

neogenx
22-04-16, 12:09
Yes, this could be a way. Nevertheless I am only 28 years old. I work as a project manager for automotive company. Pretty stressful environment. But I cannot miss a day at work. I have a 6 months old son ... and wife ... I have to work ... I have to earn money ... I have to take care for them ... well, how to get out of this circle?

dizzy daisy
22-04-16, 12:26
I'm also a manager and can't miss work. I just drag myself in and if I have a crap day, when I get home just try and say tomorrow will be better and try and put all my concentration into spending time with family. This is all we can do, and just try and look after ourselves as much as we can.
I think we sometimes put too much pressure on ourselves too I suppose is what I was trying to say earlier. If I feel bad, then I think it's only me feeling bad, that means I'm not good at my job, that means others will judge me as inadequate etc. The fact is everyone has bad times and whether they admit it or not, everyone feels stressed too at times. I make my anxiety worse by not recognising this and making myself feel even worse ha ha.
We will get through, have you tried mindfulness? I found this very useful. A book that makes it really easy to understand is meditation by Steve Hagen. It explains that it's not about sitting still fur hours in a trance, it's about paying attention, living your life all day everyday. Xxx

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

Also essential help for your nerves - nervous fatigue by dr Claire Weekes was very insightful xxx

neogenx
22-04-16, 12:29
Will try. Hope there will appear somebody else here having similar issue also while on ADs. Still it drills my mind that I am on ADs and despite it I have such a bad feelings.