PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Withdrawal Symptoms?

johanna.b
22-04-16, 16:24
I've been taking Citalopram since I was diagnosed with depression last summer. I haven't missed a dose at all until these past few weeks. My routine was disturbed after having to move out of my house due to breaking up with my boyfriend, and moving back in with my family. I simply forgot to take them, as bad as it sounds. Once I'd realise, I was a day late or it was night time (my GP stressed to take them in the morning).

I've started feeling completely exhausted no matter how much sleep I get. As well as that - dizziness, nausea, random aches and pains all over my body... am I experiencing withdrawals? Because I think that's what this is, I took one about 2 hours ago and I've set up reminders on my phone for every morning.

It's been about 2.5 weeks since I took them regularly. :weep:

I can't think of any other reason I feel so fatigued. I'm somebody who can sleep 3 hours at night and feel relatively functional. Please tell me your thoughts?

Thank you

LiveAboveIt
22-04-16, 16:48
Hey, Johanna.

Yes, you are absolutely experiencing withdrawals. Im going through the same thing right now, but for other reasons. It will take your body a little while to get stabalized back on the drug after reinstatement. It takes about a week or so for the drug to leave your system and about 4 days for your body to stabalize after reinstating.

Im sure someone with a little more knowledge about the timing will post here, but thats the gist of what Ive been told. You will be fine, you just need to wait it out.

If you cold turkey from these drugs the withdrawal can cause symptoms like the ones youve mentioned and can also cause increased anxiety while also making it much more difficult to deal with stress. Its much like any other sort of withdrawal.

You really want to try not to just stop taking it cold turkey like that, it will make you feel awful. I think a lot of us are guilty of forgetting.

I hope you feel better soon!