PDA

View Full Version : How do you even begin to select a new therapist?

.Poppy.
22-04-16, 17:45
This kind of goes in hand with my previous thread, but a bit of a different tune.

I have to quit seeing my therapist in May. She's leaving for another job and as it's a university based service I can't utilize it until I'm back on campus in the fall anyway.

Anyway, I've tried looking up therapists in my area and there are so many...but none with any reviews!

I like one quite a bit, but they only service up to age 26 (I am 24 now). It may not be an issue though, as I may not need it in an year and a half anyway.

There's also another woman who looks pretty good but I'm not entirely sure what she does exactly, even based on her website. Her description is as follows:
"My approach to therapy is practical and solution-focused. Therapy begins by getting a full picture of the client's history, relationships and current functioning during the intake interview. At that point, a treatment plan is developed that focuses on helping the client reach their own goals. To help clients achieve those goals, I provide support and present ideas from various approaches: cognitive-behavioral, humanistic and narrative. I tend to use a lot of analogies and humor in my work to help clients see a different perspective. "

She tends to deal more with anxiety, not really depression and I have both - right now it's the depression that is hitting hardest (probably because the clonazepam is helping my anxiety).

I plan to talk to my mother about it and see what she thinks but...anyone ever switched before that can offer advice? Is it just sort of trial and error? I do know it can be, since it took awhile to find my current therapist whom I just "click" with.

MyNameIsTerry
23-04-16, 06:35
Hi Poppy,

Have you thought about enquiring? When I was considering going private I sent off some emails to potential services, which they encouraged on their websites, and had good responses back.

I see what you mean about that statement, it's in typical commercial babble and many people would think it was as clear as mud. Sadly, this is a classic business mistake where you don't remember that your target market may not have the expert knowledge you do and you have to make sure it's in plain terms too or people get put off. That takes me back to my working days and it was in the training I had over the years about not confusing customers or stakeholders with business-speak.

---------- Post added at 06:35 ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 ----------

This explains a load of the different therapies very briefly, so might explain a bit of it:

http://www.bacp.co.uk/seeking_therapist/theoretical_approaches.php