PDA

View Full Version : For those worrying about cancer, this helps get some perspective

Redsoles
22-04-16, 18:54
So I know there are many of us on here worrying about various cancers, myself included. I found myself Googling 'cancer incidence rates' (the cancer research UK site is very good) and you can see exactly how many people in your age group are diagnosed with specific cancers each year.

For example, there are approx 2 million women of my age in the UK and less than 50 cases per year (of the one I'm worrying about) diagnosed in my age group. Of course, there's always that voice that says 'well someone has to be the 50 cases, it's bound to be me' but I think it definitely helps put things into perspective when you see just how small the odds are with some age groups.

I hope it helps someone else get some perspective too.

Captain irrational
25-04-16, 19:13
My mortal fear recently has been lymphoma (blame that on a couple of tiny lymph nodes I can feel in my neck and too much time on Google). A silly fear really considering that it is not only a pretty rare cancer but also one of the more easily treatable ones. There are way nastier cancers out there that are much more common too, but I have no particular fear that I might have any of them. Only lymphoma seems to bother me.

Stupid brain. :wacko: