PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of Long QT Syndrome Please help

lpwp74
23-04-16, 19:38
Hi,

I recently read an article about a guy of my kind of age (21) who dies from SADS. I then looked into this (stupidly) and found out about long QT syndrome. I am now absolutely terrified that I have it.

I have had heart palpitations quite a few times before, firstly when I was about 17. I dont get them often, but have been feeling like they have got more frequent over the past few weeks. They feel like a pounding feeling of my heart beat and a feeling like nervousness in my chest (if that makes sense).

I also feel like my heart rate has slowed down. It is now often around 62 bpm, where as it used to lie around 70-75 bpm. It even stays low when I am feeling really anxious, which is strange.

The scariest symptom is last week I woke up from my sleep and jolted awake, and for a split second felt like I couldnt breathe and did a massive gasp of air with a really loud sound. I know thast waking up gasping for air can be a sign of LQTS.

I know that I am probably being ridiculous. I have never fainted or felt faint, and no one in my family has ever died suddenly or early. But I just cant get this thought out of my head, and I can feel it taking over me. Im so so scared :(

Does anyone else have symptoms like this? Or has anyone been through anything similar?

countrygirl
23-04-16, 19:54
The waking up could have been caused by you snoring very loudly which would wake you up in a panic.

Could you go and discuss your fear with your GP as a simple ecg of your heart that can be done in the Drs surgery will give a definite answer as to whether you have it or not.
Its a genetic condition so if no one else in your family including previous generation has had any sudden deaths at young age or fainting or heart things then its highly unlikely you have it.

I have a friend whose son has this and further testing showed she has it as well but both are perfectly well. Her son's was found on routine ecg for his new job!