PDA

View Full Version : There Is Hope

MrsDavies
23-04-16, 21:08
Just as the title says really, there is hope, you won't be like this forever, there is always a way, no matter how bad you feel there is a way out....
Apologies in advance as this will likely be a long post BUT if you feel things will never get better I ask that you please read it, if I can help but one person on this website, my job will be done.
I am a 20 year old female and I was a severe HA sufferer. My journey began back in September 2014. I was having a normal shower on a normal day in a normal house when I noticed a normal mole that I've had under my armpit for as long as I could remember. I'm not sure why I took so much interest in it on this particular day but for some reason I felt compelled to find out what kind of mole it actually was courtesy of Google Search. Once I'd finished my shower, I went downstairs and started tapping away, within seconds my heart was in my mouth, I felt like I had been punched in the stomach and I was convinced that my mole was characteristic of Melanoma. Advanced Melanoma I might add, incurable, no chance of survival, had spread to my brain via my neck... I'm sure you get the drill. My head would NOT stop this negative thought pattern that had begun. I contacted the doctors and got seen as quickly as possible, shaking, I walked in and showed her.... Normal. Nothing wrong. Normal mole. Nothing to worry about. I walked out of that office with the biggest smile on my face, I was free, I was fine, I was well.... Until 20 minutes later that is. By the time I had walked home, walked into the door and sat down I was back up again and decided to rush to the local pharmacy just to double check and be sure.
Well, that was it, that was my life for the next year or so. In that time, I managed to convince myself that I had -
Cervical Cancer, Bowel Cancer, Colon Cancer, Burst Appendix, Acoustic Neuroma, Dementia, Alziemers, Broken Back, Curvuture Of The Spine, DVT, Blood Clots, Bone Cancer, Neck Cancer, Lymphoma, Breast Cancer, Menigitis, MS, Mouth Cancer, Infection Of The Brain, Eye Tumour, Heart Problems, Lung Cancer, Vaginal Cancer, Anal Cancer, Luekimia and lastly, but most prominent, a Brain Tumour (that was/is my worst health fear). Note that all these illnesses were in there worst form imaginable (incurable, stage 5, no chance, 6 months to live. They were never curable or had good outlooks in my mind).
This list is only my own, I have also feared for the lives of my family and pets. Each of these imagined illnesses came with there own 'symptoms' or so I thought. This is was kept me in the anxiety cycle, symptoms. They are awful, horrible and REAL. They are scary and only add fuel to the fears your currently going through and make it hard to believe it's 'just anxiety', man that is such a hard word to hear 'just anxiety' when your so anxious but hey it's true! But you can't see that when your in such a vicious cycle. I know symptoms are defintley the most worrying part of HA for most people so I will list ALL of the symptoms I can remember having during my time with anxiety over the course of a year -

Dizziness, Ringing/Rumbling/Clicking Ears, Headache (Tension, Migraine), Shooting Pains In The Head/Face, Electric Shock Type Feelings (Different Parts Of The Body), Hot Flushes, Cold Flushes, Acne, Head Rushes, Tingling (Different Parts Of The Body), Numbness (Different Parts Of The Body), Vertigo, Jelly Legs, Nausea, Being Sick (After A Panic Attack), Peeing A Lot, Sweating, Chest Pain/Vibrations/Flutters, Body Aches & Pains, Twitching, Stomach Pain, Fatigue, Crackling/Clicky Neck/Head/Face, Shaking Internally & Externally, Frequent Bowel Passing, Weakness, Derealisation, Depersonalisation, Fear, Worry, Intrusive Thoughts, Constant Mind Chatter, Fidgety, Breathless, Tight Chest, Tense Neck/Shoulders/Head, Back Pain, Leg Pain, Lump In Throat, Crying, Petrified, Nervous, Pounding Heart, Palpitations, White Coat Syndrome, Extreme Phobias, Enhanced OCD, Saddness, Feelings Of Dread, Fear Of Going Crazy, Metallic Taste In Mouth, Breast Pain, Withdrawal, Ear Pain/Increased Wax/Plugged Ears/Full Feeling, Pressure Feeling On Head/Face, Memory Problems, Diarrhoea.....

I experienced all of these intermittently at different times depending on my current fear at that time. I just couldn't get my head around how it could be anxiety. I saw doctors, nurses, pharmacists, out of hour doctors and spoke to mental health nurses, family, friends, people on here and other anxiety type websites, I read books but no matter how many times I heard it, I couldn't believe it, not fully. I'm here to tell you that 99.9% it is ANXIETY. I remember feeling like no one else had it as bad, had as many symptoms, had such bad symptoms, had my particular symptoms.... Classic 'what if' thinking and classic anxiety thinking. But guess what, it's just not the case. There ARE people who are going through what your going through, there IS someone with that symptom and there WILL be an end to your troubles. Always hope! I remember one particular day which was one of my worst whilst in the grip of HA. In the morning I was convinced I had bowel cancer, by afternoon it was oral cancer and by evening dementia. I even went as far as checking my tissue after having a poop for blood!

My recovery is fairly recent, in the last few months to be precise. Now, four things significantly helped me overcome anxiety, some of which you may not agree with and wish not to follow and that's fine, I only mention what's helped me in the hope it could help others or at least give them hope and reassurance. In no particular order -

1 - Family/Friends/Forums - My family helped me immensely, they stood by me no matter how many times I asked for reassurance on the phone for the 10th time about that pea sized lump on my bikini line (it was an ingrown hair :blush: ). They provided me with love and feelings of not being alone which is so important. My husband has been my rock and my daughter my inspiration to get better. This website has also been a huge help, this was my safety net to stop me from googling, I found reassurance, comfort and hope here so thank you all :)
2 - Faith - I am a Christian and prayer is very important to me as is Church, these all helped me immensely and gave me so much hope and comfort. Going to Church on a Sunday made me feel safe and cherished and I truly feel my prayers have been answered.
3 - Mental Health Nurse & CBT - Having someone to talk to every week who I knew wouldn't judge or think I was crazy was a massive help. Simply chatting can take some of the strain away. CBT also helped me make more sense if my thoughts and what was going on in my body in regard to the physical symptoms of anxiety.
4 - Medication - Now, I know a lot of people are reluctant to go on medication and I'll let you in on a secret, I was too! I wanted to look after my own thoughts and didn't want to rely on meds but you know what, these have been one of the biggest helps for me. I wish I did it back when I first started with anxiety and maybe I wouldn't of lost a year to the retched condition. I cannot describe just how much it has helped me. All of the above helped but the medication was what I had been needing, within a day of my meds being prescribed I was 80% calmer, 90% in control of my thoughts and feeling soooo relaxed which I hadn't felt in a LONG time. Since starting my first dose a few months ago and in combination with all of the above, I am now mostly FREE of HA. I am in control of my thoughts the majority of the time, able to concentrate, enjoying life and nature, enjoying doing things, relaxed doing things, full of energy, not worried, able to rationalise, a LOT more sensible in terms of my health (I can now attribute a runny nose to a common cold instead of an exotic type of flu which will slowly kill me or spread infection to my brain) and basically HAPPY which is all I could hope for and more. I am so so happy. Of course, I still have those tendencies to over anylise and have irrational/intrusive thoughts but I can mostly clear them now in the space of a second and get on with what I was doing rather than dwelling for an entire day!

The purpose of this post is really to say, there is hope, I'm not saying my personal recovery will be of any help to you, everyone is different and what worked for me may not work for you BUT something will work for you and you will find a way, keep fighting... I know it's hard to, I know you just want to curl up in a ball and cry but fight. Don't let it win. Search for your recovery, find what works for you, don't expect it to come over night, it may take a day, week, months but it will come! There is a way out for all of us if we just don't give up. I know how hard it is to get out of bed in a morning, I know the minute you wake up your probably have those intrusive thoughts and you already feel your heart pounding but get up, get dressed, put your makeup/aftershave on and make breakfast. That's fighting it, that's saying you may have physical control of me right now but I'm still getting on with my day. Even that is a huge step in the right direction.
Apologies for the long long post but I had to share my hope with you all. I wish you all the very best and if you have any questions please do ask or if you simply want to talk, I'm here.

Your all in my prayers :)

helenhoo
23-04-16, 21:17
Hi MrsDavies, thanks for this post. You my have seen me about this forum a lot. at my worst im here three posts a day.

I too started almost a month ago,I too have gone through every worse illnesses at the worst stage, had that missed the last step sinking feeling. I am currently debating whether a raised tan freckle on my shoulder has always been there or whether I'm dying from melanoma. I have wortied about five freckles in the last two weeks. Now this one after I happened to feel it. Due to it's location I don't know if I have always had it. But part of me is just as annoyed as everybody else. In fact, all of me is.

I don't quite have the support of anyone. People just yes that's normal through huffs and puffs and don't really look for me. This then leads to more frustration from me as I can't always see what I'm looking at (back of head feels sore, this shoulder freckle - it's tiny and next to a splodge)
I'm still unsure about meds. Few on here reckon they'll benefit me but I have never really listened to what they do.

MrsDavies
23-04-16, 21:25
Hi MrsDavies, thanks for this post. You my have seen me about this forum a lot. at my worst im here three posts a day.

I too started almost a month ago,I too have gone through every worse illnesses at the worst stage, had that missed the last step sinking feeling. I am currently debating whether a raised tan freckle on my shoulder has always been there or whether I'm dying from melanoma. I have wortied about five freckles in the last two weeks. Now this one after I happened to feel it. Due to it's location I don't know if I have always had it. But part of me is just as annoyed as everybody else. In fact, all of me is.

I don't quite have the support of anyone. People just yes that's normal through huffs and puffs and don't really look for me. This then leads to more frustration from me as I can't always see what I'm looking at (back of head feels sore, this shoulder freckle - it's tiny and next to a splodge)
I'm still unsure about meds. Few on here reckon they'll benefit me but I have never really listened to what they do.

Hi Reb,
Yes I have seen some of your posts and they remind me a lot of myself when I was at my worst, I visited the doctor about the same headache 4 times and that's not to mention the constant reassurance I asked of my husband and mum as well. It's so hard to believe things aren't serious when your in that cycle and it sounds like you are right in the middle of it :(
It pains me to see others suffering like this as I know how horrible it is. I also didn't like the idea of meds but it turned out to be the best descion for me personally, many people told me it could be of help but I refused, it was only when I myself decided it might be best that I could finally take the plunge, YOU have to be ready to go down that route, it's no good feeling forced. Maybe it's worth having a good think about it and if you still decide it's not the right thing for you then so be it, there will be something out there to help you, you can be free :)

lpwp74
24-04-16, 03:50
Mrs Davies,

Thank you so much for this post. I feel as though you could be describing me rather than yourself. This post made me tear up, it is so nice to see that someone has been through the worst of it and come out the other side.

I am not a "regular" poster on here, but this forum has seriously been my safety net for the past year. Seeing posts like yours give me hope; hope that the pain is not what I fear it will be, hope that the symptom is harmless, and hope that it will get better in the end.

Please keep us updated on your progress, even if it's just to tell us that everything is still going well!

All the best xx

MrsDavies
24-04-16, 10:21
Mrs Davies,

Thank you so much for this post. I feel as though you could be describing me rather than yourself. This post made me tear up, it is so nice to see that someone has been through the worst of it and come out the other side.

I am not a "regular" poster on here, but this forum has seriously been my safety net for the past year. Seeing posts like yours give me hope; hope that the pain is not what I fear it will be, hope that the symptom is harmless, and hope that it will get better in the end.

Please keep us updated on your progress, even if it's just to tell us that everything is still going well!

All the best xx

Hello :)
I am SO glad that this has helped you see that there is a way out, even when it feels like there isn't. Like you, I haven't been a 'regular' poster but I've been a serious lurker! It always made me feel better seeing others who understood and that's my hope from this post. Believe me when I say, you WILL get better, there is always a way. Thank you for taking the time to read my story :hugs:

MrsDavies
25-04-16, 20:13

How are you feeling Reb?

helenhoo
25-04-16, 21:11
I was better!

I got my blood results today which were 'normal' but then I found another freckle to worry about. So back to where I was but so determined.

How are you?

MrsDavies
26-04-16, 10:24
I was better!

I got my blood results today which were 'normal' but then I found another freckle to worry about. So back to where I was but so determined.

How are you?

That's great news about your test results, the kind of cancer your worrying about would have most likely come up in such a test. If it helps, I have tons of beauty spots & some freckles, all different too. If I could attach a picture I would...

helenhoo
26-04-16, 11:04
After first meeting with doc he said he'd send me to derm for peace of mind, nurse I saw after confirms this. However I received letter and then a few days/weeks later a reminder letter was sent! Does this mean they think it's urgent and are worried?!

Beckybecks
26-04-16, 12:20
Thanks so much for sharing with us. I've had HA for many years. I don't post much about my fears (otherwise I'd probably flood the forum!). But I gain a lot if strength from the people here.

I think I've probably had most of the symptoms you describe (and most of the
Illnesses!)

I've also taken all the steps you did, except for the last one and that's the medication. I have an awful phobia about taking meds. I fill my prescription, fully intending to take the meds, but they sit in the cupboard unopened.

Reading your post I realise how important they are and how much they'd help me.
Would you mind sharing what medication you are on?

Thanks again.
Becky

MrsDavies
26-04-16, 12:51
After first meeting with doc he said he'd send me to derm for peace of mind, nurse I saw after confirms this. However I received letter and then a few days/weeks later a reminder letter was sent! Does this mean they think it's urgent and are worried?!

Not at all, I very much doubt that they sent a reminder letter because they deemed it urgent, I get reminder text messages when I have a doctors appointment coming up and that's before they even know why I'm going! It's simply to make sure you remember because so many people don't turn up to appointments that could of been given to somebody else and had they have been cancelled, they could of been given out to people waiting to be seen.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

Thanks so much for sharing with us. I've had HA for many years. I don't post much about my fears (otherwise I'd probably flood the forum!). But I gain a lot if strength from the people here.

I think I've probably had most of the symptoms you describe (and most of the
Illnesses!)

I've also taken all the steps you did, except for the last one and that's the medication. I have an awful phobia about taking meds. I fill my prescription, fully intending to take the meds, but they sit in the cupboard unopened.

Reading your post I realise how important they are and how much they'd help me.
Would you mind sharing what medication you are on?

Thanks again.
Becky

Hi Becky,
I was exactly the same as you when it came to medication, I would read the leaflet and scan for the 'very rare' side effects and get myself in a right bother! I had a phobia of taking them too due to thinking I would be one of the unlucky ones. What I can tell you is that it only takes one person to report a horrible side effect that probably had nothing to do with the medication but as they had started meds around the time there horrible 'side effect' started, naturally blamed it on this although it is fully possible that it was a coincidence. They usually don't carry out 'tests' to see if the medication was responsible or not so therefore, they'll never know either way. The reason I'm telling you this is because if ONE person reports such a finding, they have to put it on the list, even though it's not been fully proven to be the case to cover their backs. Of course, occasionally a medication may be responsible for something but you have to way up the risks. The way I started looking at it was that if I carried on being so scared and panicked all the time, I could slowly cause damage to my body, I was at risk of health problems because of a weakened immune system and I'd be a wreck 24/7 whereas if I tried medication, then I had a chance of feeling much better, more in control, able to rationalise easier, would be relieved of physical symptoms more than likely and if the worst ever did happen, I'd be at my healthiest to try and fight it off. You have to way up the benefits and for me personally, they far outweighed the risks, in fact, I was probably at more risk being so anxious all the time!
Plus, it's worth noting that there are risks with everything almost. In fact, you probably have more of a risk walking out of your front door than you do on anxiety medication. Just as you think of the millions upon millions of people that take paracetamol each day yet I can't remember the last time I saw an article about someone dying from using paracetamol (unless it was deliberate suicide dosages).
I'm currently on 100mg Sertraline and 80mg Propanalol SR which I take every morning. The Propanalol helps immensely with the physical symptoms of anxiety and stops my heart going crazy when I get anxious and the Sertraline calms me, makes me more able to be rational and see things for what they are.
I hope some of this has helped :)

helenhoo
26-04-16, 13:54
Sure?

MrsDavies
26-04-16, 14:11
Sure?

Yes, most probably, I think most people get sent reminders...

KatiePink
26-04-16, 14:16
Originally Posted by Reb90 View Post

Reminders are sent for just that, to remind you as they don't want wasted appointments if people do not turn up

helenhoo
26-04-16, 14:30
It was a dont forget to book! Which made me think they think it's urgent

MrsDavies
26-04-16, 15:14
It was a dont forget to book! Which made me think they think it's urgent

They are just using normal protocol, your doctor is only sending you there for 'peace of mind' but the people and administrators at the other end don't know this so they are just using their usual protocol that they would use on everybody else, needed or not needed... Ignore the letter :)

Beckybecks
26-04-16, 15:20
Thank you MrsDavies. That's a good way if looking at it. I will have a think about it and those meds in my kitchen cupboard :)

MrsDavies
26-04-16, 15:41
Thank you MrsDavies. That's a good way if looking at it. I will have a think about it and those meds in my kitchen cupboard :)

That's great news! It's only you who can make such a decision so having a good think is definitely the right way to move forward :)

Fishmanpa
26-04-16, 16:35
What a great post and a testament to what one can do when they take the initiative and have an inner desire to get better. Good going on taking on the dragon and putting him back in his cave.

I agree with your sentiments but want to comment on one thing and that's the role of websites/forums. I've often said that the forum is great in that you know you're not alone and there's a cathartic benefit to writing out your thoughts and fears. That being said, it totally depends on how you use it for it to be beneficial.

Many do as you did. An alternate to Google and frankly, one can correlate a symptom and anxiety as the cause from posts as well as the symptoms list.

The downfall of all HA/Anxiety sufferers is reassurance seeking and unfortunately for many, the forum feeds that behavior. I call it "Yeah But" disease and it's very prevalent.

The forum is not a replacement for professional help and as you noted, that was one of the steps you took to heal.

I hope others take your words to heart and follow in your footsteps. Again, wonderful post and inspirational :)

Positive thoughts

helenhoo
26-04-16, 16:52
The idea of going to derm scares me so much in case they find something.

Fishmanpa
26-04-16, 16:58

How about congratulating MrsDavies about her positive achievement and take her advice instead of making this about you and seeking reassurance?

Positive thoughts

KatiePink
26-04-16, 17:20
Dizziness, Ringing/Rumbling/Clicking Ears, Headache (Tension, Migraine), Shooting Pains In The Head/Face, Electric Shock Type Feelings (Different Parts Of The Body), Hot Flushes, Cold Flushes, Acne, Head Rushes, Tingling (Different Parts Of The Body), Numbness (Different Parts Of The Body), Vertigo, Jelly Legs, Nausea, Being Sick (After A Panic Attack), Peeing A Lot, Sweating, Chest Pain/Vibrations/Flutters, Body Aches & Pains, Twitching, Stomach Pain, Fatigue, Crackling/Clicky Neck/Head/Face, Shaking Internally & Externally, Frequent Bowel Passing, Weakness, Derealisation, Depersonalisation, Fear, Worry, Intrusive Thoughts, Constant Mind Chatter, Fidgety, Breathless, Tight Chest, Tense Neck/Shoulders/Head, Back Pain, Leg Pain, Lump In Throat, Crying, Petrified, Nervous, Pounding Heart, Palpitations, White Coat Syndrome, Extreme Phobias, Enhanced OCD, Saddness, Feelings Of Dread, Fear Of Going Crazy, Metallic Taste In Mouth, Breast Pain, Withdrawal, Ear Pain/Increased Wax/Plugged Ears/Full Feeling, Pressure Feeling On Head/Face, Memory Problems, Diarrhoea.....

I've had 90% of the above and a fair few of my own random symptoms that i can put to anxiety and stress. Although i don't wish it upon anybody it is nice to see that it is universal and anxiety CAN and does cause a whole wide range of symptoms, You're journey is great, i;m on my own little one so hopefully i'll be doing a nice positive thread in the near future.
Everyone is different and we all different circumstances but one thing i know for sure is doing the same old thing and expecting different results will not work. You need to be willing to put the effort in and try different things, which i am doing :yesyes:

Well done on coming so far and thanks for sharing x

helenhoo
26-04-16, 17:27
Sorry, I'm taking over your post with my negativity xx

MrsDavies
26-04-16, 17:36
What a great post and a testament to what one can do when they take the initiative and have an inner desire to get better. Good going on taking on the dragon and putting him back in his cave.

I agree with your sentiments but want to comment on one thing and that's the role of websites/forums. I've often said that the forum is great in that you know you're not alone and there's a cathartic benefit to writing out your thoughts and fears. That being said, it totally depends on how you use it for it to be beneficial.

Many do as you did. An alternate to Google and frankly, one can correlate a symptom and anxiety as the cause from posts as well as the symptoms list.

The downfall of all HA/Anxiety sufferers is reassurance seeking and unfortunately for many, the forum feeds that behavior. I call it "Yeah But" disease and it's very prevalent.

The forum is not a replacement for professional help and as you noted, that was one of the steps you took to heal.

I hope others take your words to heart and follow in your footsteps. Again, wonderful post and inspirational :)

Positive thoughts

Thank you very much for the kind words. I totally agree with you in terms of how using forums/websites is only beneficial if used a certain way. I also understand what you say about seeking reassurance, it's so hard not to do but it really can be a huge step in recovery by seeking it less and less... During CBT I was taught to try and only ask once a day for reassurance and although it was hard, it helped :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

I've had 90% of the above and a fair few of my own random symptoms that i can put to anxiety and stress. Although i don't wish it upon anybody it is nice to see that it is universal and anxiety CAN and does cause a whole wide range of symptoms, You're journey is great, i;m on my own little one so hopefully i'll be doing a nice positive thread in the near future.
Everyone is different and we all different circumstances but one thing i know for sure is doing the same old thing and expecting different results will not work. You need to be willing to put the effort in and try different things, which i am doing :yesyes:

Well done on coming so far and thanks for sharing x

Hi Katie,
Yes, I totally agree that anxiety can cause so so many symptoms, I've heard it can cause over a 100 :unsure:
I'm glad to hear your also on a journey, and you are right in saying you have to be willing to put the effort in and change. Please do keep me updated on your journey, I'm sure you'll recover beautifully, your doing all the right things!

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:34 ----------

Honestly Reb, freckles are so so so common. It's highly unlikely they'll find anything, besides, your doctor is only sending you for peace of mind so he obviously wasn't concerned in the slightest plus they are trained in noticing such things. Keep positive, I know it's hard :hugs:

helenhoo
26-04-16, 20:16
Thank you. I'm feeling a bit better today. Still worrying! As mentioned I have a dark one I worry about but have a similar one on other side of leg so it's not that out of place. I have that fear of something becoming odd. My infamous aunit told me off again 'you're rately ever in the bloody sun and rarely ever been!' I'm not a total recluse but she means that I'm always covered up in the sun and never been abroad or used sunbeds buy my head thinks freckles are bad. Your post has definitely inspired me so thank you.

MrsDavies
26-04-16, 20:28
Thank you. I'm feeling a bit better today. Still worrying! As mentioned I have a dark one I worry about but have a similar one on other side of leg so it's not that out of place. I have that fear of something becoming odd. My infamous aunit told me off again 'you're rately ever in the bloody sun and rarely ever been!' I'm not a total recluse but she means that I'm always covered up in the sun and never been abroad or used sunbeds buy my head thinks freckles are bad. Your post has definitely inspired me so thank you.

I understand. When you have a particular fear in your head it's hard to reason with yourself. Honestly though, most freckles are completely harmless and the more you focus on them by checking them, the worse the fear will most likely become and you'll start 'thinking' things are changing because your focusing on them so much when, in fact, there probably not. Try to relax and trust your doctor (although I know just how hard that is to do). Chin up :)

MrsDavies
29-04-16, 21:41
How have you been doing Reb?

MrsDavies
08-06-16, 10:10
Hi all,
I thought I'd update you all on my progress so far...
Well what can I say? I haven't felt this calm and collected in a LONG time. Surprisingly, I feel calmer than I think I ever have which is confusing but also brilliant at the same time! I'm able to deal with things so much better, I can rationalise and see positives, I'm much calmer, able to fully relax which is something I struggled with in the past, able to face phobias rather well (in fact, they've almost gone) and mostly, I'm just happy. I'm really happy. I honestly thought I'd never get better when I was in the midst of health anxiety. I thought that would be the way I am for life. How wrong was I? :yahoo:
My symptoms have completely gone, my body has re-entered normal mode rather than being in an hyper aware, stressed out state which is just fab as symptoms was one of the things I REALLY struggled with. Even now, it's hard to believe that they were all anxiety but clearly they were!
PLEASE understand that you CAN get better. A lot of people say that if your predisposed to anxiety/mental health difficulties that you will always be like that, that you'll always have something or struggle with your mental health, that you may be able to become better at handling it but it'll always be there.... Well, in my opinion, when it comes to anxiety disorders I think it's rubbish. You CAN get fully better, completely better, symptom free. Don't give up, even if you think your in a minority, don't give up. There is a treatment out there for you, you may have to try various things but you will eventually find something that works for you. Our brains are magnificent computers, we can train them to do pretty much anything and they are capable of holding your whole life's memories and information for years upon years so it's completely rational to believe they are capable of adapting back into a non-anxious state.
I hope my story has been of some use and has inspired those close to giving up. Remember, you CAN beat this!
Wishing you all well :hugs:

claireypoo
08-06-16, 10:34
Wonderful and encouraging post - thank you - and well done! :)

Colicab85
08-06-16, 10:44
I'm so pleased to read this.

I've been having a number of problems recently. My list is exhaustive and started with a Brain Aneurysm and went through all the "brain" rubbish. God knows how many times I have read the symptoms of Raised Intracranial Pressure. Isn't it crazy how we can convince ourselves that we have these things when we clearly don't?

Then moved on to MND and MS.

I've recently come to the conclusion that all this started with one of my closest school friends being diagnosed with MND and it hit me a lot harder than i thought at the time.

Subsquently been diagnosed with a number of things. HA, GAD and Depression. Throughout all this my worry is "will i ever feel normal again?"

I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOU FEEL NORMAL!.

I had an MRI in my head that significantly helped with improving how i feel and since then I'm getting better daily. I just can't wait to get to the point you are at. It gives me so much hope.

I constantly struggled to believe that all the symptoms could be caused by Anxiety, they all feel so "real" and awful.

Thanks for this....I really appreciate the post.

MrsDavies
08-06-16, 12:49
Wonderful and encouraging post - thank you - and well done! :)

Thank you very much! :)

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

I'm so pleased to read this.

I've been having a number of problems recently. My list is exhaustive and started with a Brain Aneurysm and went through all the "brain" rubbish. God knows how many times I have read the symptoms of Raised Intracranial Pressure. Isn't it crazy how we can convince ourselves that we have these things when we clearly don't?

Then moved on to MND and MS.

I've recently come to the conclusion that all this started with one of my closest school friends being diagnosed with MND and it hit me a lot harder than i thought at the time. Also (and this sounds insane and stupid) I am still not over David Bowie dying. He was/is my hero and yeah.....it sucks.

Subsquently been diagnosed with a number of things. HA, GAD and Depression. Throughout all this my worry is "will i ever feel normal again?"

I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOU FEEL NORMAL!.

I had an MRI in my head that significantly helped with improving how i feel and since then I'm getting better daily. I just can't wait to get to the point you are at. It gives me so much hope.

I constantly struggled to believe that all the symptoms could be caused by Anxiety, they all feel so "real" and awful.

Thanks for this....I really appreciate the post.

I am so glad my story has restored some hope in you and it's lovely to hear of your own journey to recovery and how well you are doing. Keep it up! Keep believing! You can beat this :yesyes:

I've also been through all the 'brain' health anxiety, it's a scary one to go through so I completely understand how you felt during those times...

What I always find astonishing is how us HA sufferers manage to convince ourselves we've got all of these outrageous, rare and serious illnesses! We've never just got a common cold or an ear infection :roflmao:

The symptoms were the worst for me, I hated them, they scared the living day lights out of me and they produced some really odd sensations but it's all just the body going into stress mode but when your in the midst and vicious cycle of health anxiety it's so hard to believe that's all it is and the more you focus the worse they get :lac:
They will go though, just like the Anxiety will go!

Keep strong and never lose hope, you'll be there soon!