PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks when alone

Asharai
24-04-16, 13:59
It's started to be a 'thing'. I drop my 5 year old with his Dad, come home and immediately think I'm about to drop dead from heart attack.

I'm not worried about my son. So I'm not exactly sure why I feel the panic attack coming on as soon as I walk through the door. I'm trying to reason myself out of it at the moment by writing to see if that helps. :) I've got two cats and they can prove quite the distraction but today it's not working.

And the attack makes me feel tired but of course I'm also afraid to go to sleep in case this one time it *is* a heart attack and I don't wake up.

ServerError
24-04-16, 14:04
If you have a heart attack, you'll know. It may share some similarities with a panic attack, but it's a very different experience altogether.

You won't have a heart attack. That's what you need to remember. A panic attack is just a release of adrenaline and the drawing of blood to your fighting muscles. It's unpleasant but harmless. With this knowledge, you can allow yourself to feel it. This will gradually take the sting out of it.

Asharai
24-04-16, 16:03
Yeah I know this (although having said that, in the middle of a panic I don't know it!). I just find it weird that it happens when I'm alone. Maybe the need to keep it together when my son is around overrides it.