PDA

View Full Version : What do you do during panic

netminder1976
24-04-16, 20:14
Just curious to see what everyone does to soothe their panic attacks or state of extreme anxiety. I think I am different from alot on here. I read about how people don't like to leave the house or even get out of bed. Myself, I cannot sit still during it. My hands shake and it feels as though my heart is going to pound out of my chest even though my heart rate is not usually elevated at all. I really can't stand to be around anyone during them. I usually leave the house and get in my car and drive the back roads or around 1 of the 2 lakes within 7 miles of my house and listen to sports radio. Takes me awhile but I usually start feeling better. I can actually feel it start to come back when I pull back up to my house. Don't know if its just because that is where most of my attacks start or what. What's everyone else like?

Dennis

ServerError
24-04-16, 20:43
I get two types of panic attack. The more common one is mild and involves a rush of adrenaline, a feeling of distance from my surroundings, a rush of unusual images in my mind and then the sweats. This is not a totally unpleasant feeling and doesn't last long. The rarer one for me is the full blown type where I basically feel like I'm dying.

In either case, I respond the same. That is to say, I don't react. I just keep doing whatever I was doing. Sometimes I might slow down or stop to take a few deep breaths, but I just remind myself that I will not come to any harm and let the experience play out. This approach has turned my life around.

netminder1976
24-04-16, 21:19
I've been trying to use techniques like that but when I am really in it, it is hard. Waking like that I just try to lay there and let it go away but it only seems to intensify.. Just wish I could get a handle on them because they can last all day or at least some of it lingers.

Holds1325
25-04-16, 15:43
If you're bored, or you're mind is not being used then that is when its most difficult to get over panic attacks because the mind has only one thing to be preoccupied with and that is DOOM, FEAR, WORRY etc.

Putting on the radio is helpful, talking to anyone is also very helpful, just start up a conversation. Sometimes I would want to run, so what did I do? I'd walk to a park and just sit. The urge to move, pace, panic would keep spiking, but I would just breathe deep, stare at the trees, listen to the birds, eventually it would calm down.

Sometimes I'd speak to the panic separate from myself. Yep you're there, what now? Whats going to happen next? Anything?

Just feel your physical feelings, heart racing maybe, breathing heavy, focus on that for a bit and let it pass because it WILL most definitely pass.

This is a panic attack and nothing more, it never hurt me last time it WILL not hurt me now I will get through this etc. then move on about your day.

Linda32
01-05-16, 20:13
I get two types as well, I've had 4 full blown panic attacks in the last 2-3 years when it is impossible to do anything other than let it happen. Gasping for breath and herd of elephants on your chest being the main symptom. Fun isn't it? :D

Other times and funnily enough it's hardly ever at work (Mind being occupied by other things I guess) All of a sudden it's as if either me or the world jumps to one side. Does anyone else notice that?

Then harder breathing next. Not gasping just noticing your breathing. I try to control it by reading or silently saying every colour I can see.

Then there is what I assume is the depression one, where I have a few things to do such as gardening which I love. But just can't be bothered and just lay on the bed looking at the trees. That in itself is a down right depressing thought :roflmao: