PDA

View Full Version : liver.

zippy
25-04-16, 14:03
Had my bloods done last week and been today and part of my liver function test was abnormal. I am panicking now that i have something wrong with my liver. I am just wondering if medication can affect it because i take fluoxetine and paracetamol everyday?

androidz
30-04-16, 23:56
Paracetamol is very taxing on the liver, I don't think it's appropriate to take it every day. Do you do this due to your Dr's instructions?

Longterm daily paracetamol intake can indeed damage the liver and liver function tests (which in reality aren't really function tests), like ALT, AST and GPT can show abnormal.

MyNameIsTerry
01-05-16, 06:56
Lots of people take paracetamol daily. If it's needed all the time, a chat with a GP is an idea to see what else there is available. Don't ever go above the max daily dose though. You didn't say how much.

In terms of liver damage, that's a debatable one. There have been studies but the NHS themselves responded to the scare stories in the media over these and pointed out that the varying nature of the studies and how they were not very clear and did not point to anything specific other than more research was needed. Some of these people already had conditions that would be a problem like liver issues and so their use in studies wouldn't apply to what we would want to know.

Fluoxetine is taken by a lot of people, like other SSRI's. If there was a risk of liver damage, it would need to be printed in the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) and liver function tests made for any at risk people. If you can't see a record of it in the PIL, I doubt it's a recorded issue.

Please talk to your GP about the liver results, there could be other reasons.