PDA

View Full Version : Can medications cause stuck/obsessive thoughts?

LiveAboveIt
25-04-16, 17:29
I developed this issue a few times while on 20mg of Citalopram. And then again during Citalopram withdrawal, but even worse.

It feels like my thoughts get stuck on repeat and I cant stop a certain thought pattern. I get stuck on trying to forget about trying to forget.. about the anxiety. It makes no sense and as much as I try to ignore it, my brain is just stuck on this thought process. I also notice that I repeat words a bit in my head.

I Reinstated 10mg of Citalopram last night and after about 3 hours, this thought process lifted and I was able to dismiss thoughts again.

Now today Im back to the stuck thought process.

Can this be undone? Is it possible that its all chemical? Never had this issue prior to Citalopram. Its like my thoughts are stuck on a flooded highway. Its not even about anything.

Holds1325
25-04-16, 21:11
Could be the med, could just be your thought process is all out of whack.

Have you tried CBT? Journaling? These help in keeping our thoughts in check.

LiveAboveIt
25-04-16, 21:22
Yeah, Ive been journaling. I think I have a fear that I wont be able to stop thinking about it that fuels the fear.

MyNameIsTerry
25-04-16, 23:29
What time did you take the Cit? And what time did the thoughts come back to this current state? I'm just wondering whether there is a connection between distribution and elimination.

LiveAboveIt
26-04-16, 03:15
Well, I took it at about 4 in the evening yesterday, noticed the rumination broke up at around 7.

Not really sure after that, woke up feeling very anxious and panicky and noticed that I didnt feel great.

MyNameIsTerry
26-04-16, 06:06
Well Cit does hit it's 80% peak at 4 hours so that might have been why you felt it kick in. With the half life being 35 hours, I guess it's unlikely for the 50% drop by that time to have been the reason since there hasn't been enough time. If you get your anxiety worse earlier on though, it could just be because of that and perhaps later on in the day you may feel a bit better?

If the med has done this, withdrawal seems likely again. If someone cold turkey's off and a doctor reinstitutes a low dose with a good effect, it's usually to counter this issue. So, perhaps you need to stabilise a little first (remember Cit will take just under 8 days doe that) and then maybe go for a switch?

Switching at the moment may work with another SSRI, it's always going to be individual as ever but it would be increasing the Serotonin and might help counter these current issues. But perhaps getting on a low dose of the Cit to ease it, then switching can take the edge of the hell you have been going through?