PDA

View Full Version : I wanna go home

Idontwannago
26-04-16, 10:41
So I had a panic attack when I was in a car with friends. I was a passenger and we were only 10 minutes out of town when I had a big panic attack. Now I can't go outside of town at all. I used to be able to drive around town, but now it is hard to do that.

I worry that if I try to go out, I am going to want to go home straight away. When I cant go home straight away, it makes me more anxious..

Please help. I miss my friends and the freedom I used to have

Beckybecks
26-04-16, 12:22
Do you have someone who understands your fear? Ask them to take very short trips with you until you regain your confidence.

Idontwannago
29-04-16, 01:30
My mum understands the most as she also has agoraphobia that affects her walking distance more than driving. She has just had a back operation and will not be able to even be a passenger for a while.
I have told my friends and some of them seem willing to try and help me, but it is hard for me to trust that anyone will stop and turn around when i need them too. Not their fault, just how my mind is at the moment.

Idontwannago
08-05-16, 11:19
Got any extra tips? Im trying cbt4panic.

Beckybecks
08-05-16, 13:44
CBT is very good, if you put alot of effort into it. I've had more success with the CBT exercise than anything else Ive tried. It's because it really makes you think about what's happening to you, whereas drugs just block it out, but it's still there in your head and needs to be resolved eventually. Maybe a combination of medication and CBT would help you.
I've always found the best for me is to face my fears. Difficult I know. But do it in really small doses.

Idontwannago
17-05-16, 09:39
I am doing CBT4 Panic and it is very interesting. Allowing the panic is the hardest thing for me to do. I had a panic attack while driving today. I wanted to drive faster so I could get to my (safe) destination quicker but had to remind myself that would be dangerous. It feels like my brain malfunctions when I panic. The symptoms may not harm me but boy, they are scary :weep:

Beckybecks
17-05-16, 09:42
Well done to you for making a big effort and being so brave. You can be very proud of yourself. It'll be worth it.

Idontwannago
28-05-16, 13:13
Well, today I didnt want to go home but stay at my parents instead. Dad was following me home, but i stopped in tears because I didnt want to go home. Turned around instead. I feel guilty and hate myself right now :weep:

Idontwannago
17-06-16, 12:29
How long does it take to change your mindset? I had someone follow me in their car today just so I would feel safe even though I didnt feel panicky........my brain needs a reboot i think

Beckybecks
17-06-16, 14:06
It's ok to ask for help. Not everyone understands but if your friends or family want to help then let them. It won't be forever. Who knows when one if them will need your help.....

I did a six week CBT course. After about two weeks things started to click as I understood more and after six weeks I was much better. It's ongoing though and you have to continue to make an effort so as to ensure that the good habits you've introduced stick and until you're mind adopts the new habits and uses them automatically. It does work!