PDA

View Full Version : Am I weird? Apparently so

KatiePink
27-04-16, 07:21
OK so this isn't anxiety related but it makes me feel anxious in a way so here goes, I love tree's! There I said it :ohmy: shock horror.

I mean I've always liked looking at trees since I was little, but more so as I got older I really really like them, as in I think it's amazing what they do, how big they can get and how long they can live. I think they're beautiful to look at and I just feel a million times better when I'm around them.
My street is full of trees of all kinds and some very big old oak trees too, there's so many birds around I find it very relaxing and personally couldn't imagine living in a city without them.

Now I also like taking pictures, probably fancy myself as a photographer and mainly like taking pictures of my surrounding area, trees being the main thing I snap! The pictures are lovely and I don't know what's 'weird' about it.
I've been told 'I'm weird' plenty of times by people(nobody close to me) and always get a strange sort of look when I stop to look at a tree, or tell people that I take pictures of them.

It's not an obsession I just really like nature, so I must be missing something as everyone else doesn't seem to have any interest at all and I feel alien.

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-16, 07:48
Are you weird? Of course not!

It's a subjective thing. Lots of tweenies like boy bands. I can't stand them!

Often when something isn't mainstream in your environment, you can get someone saying this. But imagine standing with 1000 people who love nature and saying you love tress and taking pics of them. Would they say you were weird or would they agree with you or show appreciation? Now say you like boy bands to them...I'm sure someone will be thinking weird. :winks:

I think what is most important here is that you embrace your individuality without allowing others to make you conform to what is acceptable to them, that you don't feel guilt or shame for your interests or allow others to make you feel negatives.

We all have something weird in our lives to someone.

mezzaninedoor
27-04-16, 10:51
Are you weird? Of course not.

We are all individual and people need to deal with that.

KatiePink
27-04-16, 11:19
Thanks guys, deep down i know i am not 'weird' but i am definitely very different or shall i say have very different interests than those in my area. Like drinking and showing off on social media :weep:

I think what is most important here is that you embrace your individuality without allowing others to make you conform to what is acceptable to them

I need to work on this

MyNameIsTerry
27-04-16, 11:28
Your interest is much more healthy that those. We tend to go through that phase of drinking when younger but it gets boring as you mature and you want real interests. You have a real interest.

And posting on social media, everything from 10 selfies a day to a pic of the meal they are eating...believe me, there a lot of people who think THAT is VERY weird!

How about joining some form of interest group that encompasses your interest? There must be something, even if it's internet based? And if you like trees, do you like other elements of nature? Do they open anything up for you? Like volunteering at an RSPB centre? I knew a guy who did that and loved it. They do walks for visitors telling them not only about birds but bats and other wildlife and the RSPB look after the plant life too.

debs71
27-04-16, 11:45
You are most definitely not weird.

Just because others don't share your loves, or your particular interests DOES NOT mean that YOU are someone with an issue. Frankly that is downright rude and ignorant if anyone has called you weird. It is also a childish and baseless thing to say to another person.

We all have our own likes, interests, passions, etc. I think that loving nature is one of the most beautiful and meaningful ones. It shows a sensitive heart and nature, and someone who looks beyond the superficial, and really sees the beauty in something.

That is not weird, that is lovely.....so screw them (quite frankly)

When I was a teenager and even in my twenties, I did not like going out clubbing, pubbing, etc. etc. I loved animals, reading, listening to music in my room at home, and just being at home with my family. I was quite reclusive. A friend of mine had to literally drag me out when she wanted to go to a club. I sat in the quietest corner I could find (difficult in a club, lol) and tried to blend into the wallpaper.....I hated it.

Many said I was strange, unsociable, needed to 'have a few drinks and loosen up'.......yeah, right.

We are all our own person. Having a different interest to another doesn't make us weird, it makes us a unique individual in our own right.

You keep going with yours....they are really nice. x:hugs:

KatiePink
27-04-16, 12:06
I think i have held back most of my real interests in the past out of a fear of people asking why are you doing that, because most of the people i've been surrounded by are all the same to me. They all like the same things i.e drinking, i have never been a drinker and when i do drink i don't really enjoy it at all, i never get the urge for a drink like most of my friends do and they get so excited about it.

I love being at home too and don't get bored either, i like drawing and cooking which for someone my age 25 is seen as weird and what 'older' people would do.
Everywhere i have worked my colleagues are always more immature than i am and it seems everyone has to say 'why don't you ever go out'

I do go 'out' just not what they mean by going to town and getting back at 5am. I know i'm young but i've done that sort of thing, i've been on my girls holidays and did enough town nights when i was 18,19,20 and i'm done.

Some people have said 'you will regret it when you're older' :doh:
I really really do not think when i am an old lady i will regret not drinking more. I think they will regret all the drinking and damage to their liver and personal lives, and also the importance they placed on superficial things that really don't matter.

I'm lucky because my partner is very much the same as me, and we are quite the outcasts from our group of 'friends'.

How about joining some form of interest group that encompasses your interest? There must be something, even if it's internet based? And if you like trees, do you like other elements of nature? Do they open anything up for you? Like volunteering at an RSPB centre? I knew a guy who did that and loved it. They do walks for visitors telling them not only about birds but bats and other wildlife and the RSPB look after the plant life too.

I've been telling myself this for a while now, i know i would really like to be involved in something like this so i need to take the step and do it.

debs71
27-04-16, 12:53
Some people have said 'you will regret it when you're older' :doh:

I wish I had a pound for every time I heard that in my younger years, ok.

You WON'T regret it, Katie, as you will have done exactly what you wanted to do, being true to yourself. Nothing to regret there.

You sound like my mini-me, lol. :D I also did not enjoy drinking, and still don't. I just don't have the taste for it. I'd rather have a diet coke or a cup of tea! I also don't regret not 'larging it up' years ago, as I am aged 44 now!

Your interests sound just fine to me. They are really nice, productive, artistic...things you can gain something from and create things.

What will your friends and their like have to show from their boozing in 20/30 years time?

Umm....not much.:shrug:

Fishmanpa
27-04-16, 13:06
I have news for you... We're ALL weird. IMO, everyone is weird, whacked or whatever you want to call it in various ways and degrees. What's weird to one person is normal to the next. If you like or enjoy something, so be it. That's all that matters.

Positive thoughts

KatiePink
27-04-16, 13:12
Thanks guys :D

I'd rather have a diet coke or a cup of tea!

:roflmao: Exactly like me, i love my tea!

Tangaroa
27-04-16, 13:17
You are not weird at all! I love nature, in fact it is the time when I am most relaxed. I gave up my IT job to study for an MSc in Environmental Management in an attempt to do a career that I enjoy. I also really enjoy photography and taking photos of plants and animals (plants are usually easier as they dont move so much :o) )

You certainly wont regret 'missing' out when you are older - you should do the things that you enjoy as they are what will make you happy. Trying to fit certainly wont lead to happiness...

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Also, like others have suggested, you can volunteer with the RSPB or your local Wildlife Trust (probably a more rounded experience as there not so bird focused) and you will meet lots of other weirdos who also like trees, plants and animals and really care about these things.

KatiePink
27-04-16, 13:18
You are not weird at all! I love nature, in fact it is the time when I am most relaxed. I gave up my IT job to study for an MSc in Environmental Management in an attempt to do a career that I enjoy. I also really enjoy photography and taking photos of plants and animals (plants are usually easier as they dont move so much :o) )

You certainly wont regret 'missing' out when you are older - you should do the things that you enjoy as they are what will make you happy. Trying to fit certainly wont lead to happiness...

I agree and sadly most the people who say these things do not seem to be very happy at all, and yeah i feel so much more relaxed when i'm surrounded by nature i love walks in the forest and outdoor adventures. :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

Also, like others have suggested, you can volunteer with the RSPB or your local Wildlife Trust (probably a more rounded experience as there not so bird focused) and you will meet lots of other weirdos who also like trees, plants and animals and really care about these things.

Lot's of other weirdo's :roflmao: made me laugh. Yeah it's definitely something i want to do

Tangaroa
27-04-16, 13:29
Social media has become a way for people to try and convince others they are living this great life - I actually wonder how much depression, unhappiness and MHD are caused by the competitive nature of people on social media!

Human beings are not meant to live sedentary lives, stuck indoors. Most people have completely lost touch with nature and the outdoors. There is a lot of research now that demonstrates that spending time outdoors, in more natural environments really helps people with mental health issues.

MyNameIsTerry
28-04-16, 07:56
The guy at the RSPB centre had to take part in an audit or the owl fledglings that they do every so many years. He brought us in some photos of him with them in his hands when they took them out of the boxes. This isn't the owl, or even probably the species of owl, but it was just a cute photo to give you an idea of the cuteness we saw in his snaps:

http://cdn.attackofthecute.com/November-27-2012-20-03-20-zz.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 ----------

and you will meet lots of other weirdos who also like trees, plants and animals and really care about these things.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

That sounds like a very interesting Msc. I remember seeing a job at a national park working in a project role but surveying the park as well. That would have suited me. Plenty of walking, not just a project bod behind a desk or in meetings.

Far too much status chasing in corporate world.I think it's really nice to hear someone young with interests like Katie has. Definitely worth looking for any wildlife trust or even local charity. Maybe even a park ranger type role...loads of trees in that!

Tangaroa
28-04-16, 09:58
Very cute owl. You are right Terry, it is great to see young people getting involved in wildlife and the natural environment. If we want to protect it for future generations (which we are sadly struggling to do) then we need more young people interested.

KatiePink
28-04-16, 12:51
Awww that's adorable, there is an owl in the conifer tree next to my bedroom window and i love the sound of it hooting.

Not in my town but 10 minutes down the road, the local council have been cutting all of the tree's down as they are building a large residential area there, i couldn't even look at what they were doing i felt so sad, the tree's had been there for as long as i can remember, i'm dreading what it's going to look like in the end. I did sign a petition against the build as did many others in our area, we want to keep what's left of the country side here.

Luckily where i live the homes have been built around all of the tree's, dotted around them, we have some pretty magnificent oak tree's.
People do not realize the importance of tree's and what they do for us :mad:

Fishmanpa
28-04-16, 16:04
Awww that's adorable, there is an owl in the conifer tree next to my bedroom window and i love the sound of it hooting.

Speaking of owls. I perform at the resorts in Shenandoah National Park and often see wildlife (deer, bear, various small animals etc.) on my commute up and down off the mountain and Skyline Drive. On the way home from a gig a couple of weeks ago, an owl swooped down out of the trees and right over the front of my truck. I don't know what species it was but it was huge and had the wingspan of a red tailed hawk! Startled the beejeebers out of me too! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

KatiePink
28-04-16, 16:13
Sounds like a great horned owl they have large wingspans

Great horned owls tend to perch during the daylight hours in a protected rocky alcove or on a tree limb. They mainly hunt at night, but may hunt in daylight hours. From a quiet perch, the owl listens for sounds that betray a creature's presence. They may move about from tree to tree to get a better fix on the source of the sound. Once they pinpoint the sound, the owl silently swoops in, spreads its talons wide and pounces on its prey - known as the "perch and pounce" hunting method. Smaller prey is swallowed whole, but larger prey are torn into pieces.

Great horned owls eat a wide variety of prey, both small and large. Cottontail rabbits seem to be a prominent food, but the owls will take squirrels, shrews, jackrabbits, muskrats, mice, weasels, skunks, pocket gophers, snakes, domestic cats, bats, beetles, scorpions, frogs, grasshoppers, and a wide variety of birds, from small passerines like juncos and sparrows to wild ducks, grouse, pheasants, and even other owls. It seems that the world is one big smorgasbord to a great horned owl.

Startled the beejeebers out of me too! ~lol~

I bet :D