PDA

View Full Version : Gluten Free - I was wrong, but only partially.

shakey1961
27-04-16, 19:36
Hi everyone. Here once again to impart my knowledge in the hope it may help some of you.

As you have seen over time, I have espoused the benefits of going gluten free to help with anxiety, and it's definitely helped with me. However, after a very bad weekend feeling like I was going to collapse, I have stumbled upon something related to gluten BUT crucially it's fits my symptoms even better.

I can go for a good length of time and feel fine then suddenly, for no apparent reason, I'll be bad. I have a lot of "gas". Carbonated water sends me to the loo very quickly. Extreme tiredness in the day, don't wake up refreshed in the morning and have joint and muscle aches through the day. Brain fog and breathlessness. Mildly dehydrated. Having to take deep breaths too. Feel worse after I've eaten food.

The problem I have, that fits me almost perfectly is... Ulcerative Colitis.

UC is also linked to increased levels of anxiety! Interesting!

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/crohns-disease/news/20150804/crohns-disease-colitis-tied-to-anxiety-in-study

A gluten free diet also helps UC! So I wasn't totally wrong.

Still firmly convinced that what happens in your mind and body is connected to your stomach. "You are what you eat".

Perhaps it may help you if you look into it more?

I'm being sent for tests very soon, so I'll report back.

Hope this may help.

zjw
27-04-16, 20:01
I've read a lot on proper gut health and anxiety thers some good youtube videos out there too so I thnk your right that its connected. I think a lot of things are more connected then we realize we tend to focus on one symptom and not realize the whole picture.

My issue with glutten is the muscle body aches and joint pain. I eat a high carb vegan diet and avoid gluten but now and then I will eat it and BAM i'm in pain for days from it. I dont recall being so sensitve before but then I was used to feeling like garbage back before i changed my diet so that was normal to me.

good post.

shakey1961
28-04-16, 20:35
Thanks for your reply. I do wish people would go back to their GPs and ask to be tested for gut problems, gluten intolerance etc., as I know it would help them so much. Even if it doesn't, there's no harm in trying.

Sometimes you feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall.

Well, at least I hope it helps someone.