PDA

View Full Version : Support for partner's/loved ones

KatiePink
28-04-16, 16:22
I have been dealing with anxiety for a long time, mainly health anxiety which has been very bad for the last 3-4 months, i have been with my partner for 5 years and he has witnessed it all, re assured me a million times, came with me to appointments, gave me all the rational advice, comforts me, tries everything to relax me, i can see how much it affects him when i break down, he just wants more than anything for me to be better.

I always appreciate what he does, and make sure he knows that, but it cannot be pushed aside that he is also dealing with the affects of long term anxiety and it has impacted his life greatly :weep:

I don't know if there is any support out there for partners/family/loved ones, but there should be. It's an everyday struggle and without him i don't know if i would have been as strong as i have,

I think anyone in a similar situation should take some time out to think about this and just let them know how appreciated they are :)

Fishmanpa
28-04-16, 17:23
Katie,

My ex suffered from severe depression disorder that manifested itself into hoarding. It started after the birth of our daughter in '93. By the time we separated and divorced in 2000, it was beyond description. To lose someone you love to mental illness and witness it is a feeling of helplessness unlike any other. I tried for many years to get her help but she refused. It was our daughter that opened her eyes one day when she asked us "How come you and Daddy don't hug and kiss like other Mommys and Daddys?" It broke our hearts. We ended up going to counseling and within two sessions the therapist wanted to see us separately. She went to two sessions and quit. I knew then it was over. She gave up on herself and in turn, us. I left not too soon afterwards.

The point I'm getting at is, just as the sufferer must take the initiative and get help, a partner of a sufferer must make that same effort. As he would encourage you to get help, you should encourage him. Having someone to talk to, learning coping methods and ways to approach the situation would be beneficial.

Lastly, the best and most encouraging thing you could do is to make the efforts to treat yourself. Had my ex stayed with therapy, agreed to meds and made a concerted effort to get well, things may have turned out differently.

Positive thoughts