PDA

View Full Version : Tingling linked with anxiety worried about multiple sclerosis

Frog79
28-04-16, 17:43
I'm in a massive panic. 4weeks ago my doctor put me on mertazapine due a massive stressful event in my life that probably made me more upset and anxious than I have even been. 5 days later I had a slightly tingling sole of my left foot. 3 weeks later it is slowly getting better but last week they took a blood test which came back normal. On seeing my doctor today she asked if I had it before and I said that only when my marriage broke up and 3 weeks later the top of my left arm from half way between my shoulder and elbow right to the top of my hand but only the top part of my arm not underneath, and this was 3 years ago. Knowing I'm a huge worrier and suffer with anxiety she then says one thing at the back of her mind is MS. I'm now a crying , worrying mess again! How can she say this to me from these 2 incidents in 40 months! I'm now worrying like crazy again :weep:

rbm
28-04-16, 22:06
She actually said it.s ms??? Really?? Muscle pain isn.t directly linked to muscle disease. She probably did creatinkinase test and that being normal should rule out ms.

I have lots of muscle pain and spasms due to anxiety, 2 herniated disks.my foot goes numb out of the blue soometimes. Got the ck test was fine, emg fine, neuro fine, head mri fine.i was lost like you are so i know it.s hard.don.t give up go further with the tests until you convince yourself that you are fine

Josh1234
28-04-16, 22:26
doctors are smart, but often terrible orators and unsympathetic to anxiety sufferers.

Frog79
29-04-16, 07:59
She actually said it.s ms??? Really?? Muscle pain isn.t directly linked to muscle disease. She probably did creatinkinase test and that being normal should rule out ms.

I have lots of muscle pain and spasms due to anxiety, 2 herniated disks.my foot goes numb out of the blue soometimes. Got the ck test was fine, emg fine, neuro fine, head mri fine.i was lost like you are so i know it.s hard.don.t give up go further with the tests until you convince yourself that you are fine

Her exact words were"I'm thinking multiple sclerosis" and I said "wo should i be worrying about this now" and she said "it's at the back of my mind, keep a diary of any symptoms"
She did ask of any eye problems too and I mentioned I had central serous retinopathy 2.5 years ago and she had to ask me what it was. This is a stress problem not ms. There is an eye problem related to the optic nerve but not that! I'm hoping she stupidly latched onto that in error. I am still worrying though.

Shazamataz
29-04-16, 09:17
Oh wow, a doctor should never throw something like that out there to an anxious person unless they are pretty certain that's what may be going on. And if she thinks that may be what it is she should be sending you for tests immediately.

So with that said, it is probably very unlikely you have MS. Tingling and numbness in arms and legs are super common with anxiety. I have learned this by also freaking out that I had MS but have had some tests (nerves in great condition) and GP puts all the symptoms down to anxiety.

Frog79
29-04-16, 12:37
I requested a call back from another doctor who just called me and agreed she was wrong to say what she did and said that it is most likely all the stress and anxiety I'm currently going through and to go back if it persists. I'm going for a massage tomorrow in hope it helps.
How long does it last with anxiety though. Been pretty much 3 weeks with me. Its subsided slightly but still there.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

doctors are smart, but often terrible orators and unsympathetic to anxiety sufferers.

I'm actually doubting this ones smartness as she told me she failed her exams twice!

itwillbefine
29-04-16, 14:42
It could go on for a long time, mine went on for 6 months and continues to return once in a while. Have your iron levels checked, if you are a woman. Low iron may have been part of the cause for me.

Frog79
29-04-16, 16:42
It could go on for a long time, mine went on for 6 months and continues to return once in a while. Have your iron levels checked, if you are a woman. Low iron may have been part of the cause for me.

My iron and B12 were all checked and all ok. I wish they weren't to be honest. I can't stop worrying now about MS.

Frog79
21-08-16, 06:10
Well it is MS. Confirmed.

KatiePink
21-08-16, 08:48
Well it is MS. Confirmed.

I'm sorry to hear that. When were you diagnosed?

ElectricAlice
16-03-17, 18:16
Sorry to hear you were diagnosed... I hope you're doing okay. I have tingling in my left foot too and am really worried its MS. How were you diagnosed?