PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety hit me for six (again)

Aleman200
28-04-16, 18:17
So today, I went for a meeting with a Endocrinology consultant at the local hospital at behest of my GP (who is now retired) who recommended me about 4 months ago because she said my testosterone was a little bit low. He did all the usual physical checks, asked my medical history and family history.

Now he's ordered some blood tests because the last one to measure my Testosterone was in february, when it was low, but he is also sending me for a MRI of my pituitary gland or something, and because i began to panic i cant remember exactly what he said. I'm so scared i didn't tell him everything, or that they're sending me for a scan for something sinister. I hope to god i'm not infertile or something as i'd like kids in the future. The whole reason i had this referral was for some "morning wood" problems which i'm almost certain were down to the major anxiety i was having at the time.

I'm just freaking out a little bit, and my CBT techniques aren't doing alot right now. Just needed to vent a bit, i'm sorry.

countrygirl
28-04-16, 21:07
I would guess your consultant is making 100% sure you don't have a benign pituatory gland tumour - note the word benign its not cancerous but they can affect the hormones your gland produces. In women it causes breasts to produce milk and other problems but is controlled with drugs and rarely is there any need for surgery.

I have a friend who had one of these diagnosed 30 years ago - she managed to produce 4 children she just had to stop the drugs when she wanted to get pregnant.

Its understandable you panicked and didn't take in all that was said. The brain mri will also rule out alot of other things so think of it as a brain mot test that if normal means you can stop worrying about brain things.

Aleman200
28-04-16, 21:13
Thank you so much for your reply countrygirl. It's nice to hear someone who's had it for 30+ years still going strong. I'm hoping it turns out to be nothing, and the brain mot comparison really helps put it into perspective. Thank you again!

Aleman200
29-04-16, 11:49
I went for my second blood test this morning to measure testosterone levels and I noticed on the pathologist slip the consultant gave me under clinical details it said hypogonadism so I looked it up and wish I hadn't now. I'm terrified that at 25 I'm going to be sterile or have to be on injections for the rest of my life. :( I just want to be normal again. My therapist helped me ratio alive yesterday but now I'm a mess. I've been crying and apologising to my girlfriend for not being able to give her kids in the future and I've not even got results yet. I don't know how I'm going to wait for them :(

Aleman200
24-07-16, 20:17
Just figured i'd update this thread. My MRI results came back clear.