PDA

View Full Version : Gum cancer??? Hard bony lump!! Pic!!

Angelic
29-04-16, 08:12
About 30 minutes ago, I noticed the back of my upper right gum is a lot bigger than it is on the left side. The swelling is in an area that had extractions years ago. I am a teeth grinder, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I have more teeth in the left upper side, but I can still tell (can see and feel) is a much larger gum on the right side. I'm terrified it's cancer. And naturally tomorrow is Friday and I won't be able to get in to see my dentist.

There is no bleeding, soreness, etc. it's just a really hard area. It feels like solid bone. Like its my gum, just a lot bigger than on the other side.

im gonna make an appointment with my dentist but in sure I won't be able to get in tomorrow. I know you can't diagnose me, but I would appreciate your educated opinions. I've read about mandibular tori and exostosis. I pray it's that! Does oral cancer or gum cancer normally present this way?

I am 45 and have a long history of smoking. From what I understand, oral cancer doesn't usually present like this. Still, I am scared!!'2639

Fishmanpa
29-04-16, 12:33
From what I understand, oral cancer doesn't usually present like this.

I'm a head and neck cancer survivor and you're right. It doesn't present that way. Thanks for the lovely photo of "Angelic" Caverns :)

If you fear OC and are still smoking, I suggest you find a way to quit voluntarily. I had no choice if you know what I mean.

Positive thoughts

Angelic
29-04-16, 17:06
I'm sorry for the picture. Just figured it was easier to try to show what I was describing. I am trying my best to quit. I've used an app that tracks the number of cigarettes I smoke each day, which has helped me wean myself down to half of what I normally smoke. Next step is to get on nicotine patches. This has been successful before, but I relapsed. Then I was looking al around in my mouth last night and totally freaked out. I don't know if it has always be like this, or if this is something new. Sure has me scared though.

Comgratulations on being a cancer survivor!! Way to go!!