PDA

View Full Version : Weird heartbeats and low on air feeling

damianjmcgrath
29-04-16, 20:45
People may recognise my username, as someone who used to post on here fairly regularly. I was suffering from anxieties to what I considered a bad level, and it was definitely affecting my day to day life. I got on top of it, and it pretty much went away. CBT helped, Mindfulness helped, and to be honest, just forgetting about it helped.

Over the past 2 weeks, I've been getting strange symptoms, and I've been assuming they are anxiety related. I assume every symptom now is anxiety related until it really starts to do me some damage, then I visit a GP.

My symptoms are:

- Slightly odd feeling heart sensations. Feeling my pulse in my neck with my finger, it feels like it goes beat..beat..beat..beat.........thump..beat..beat.. beat..beat.......thump etc. There's definitely a pause for a second, then the next beat feels more powerful, then it goes back into the normal beating. I can sometimes feel this in my chest too.

- A slight feeling of suffocation or low on air. It feels like I have to clear my throat or cough to kind of reset my breathing. I don't ever gasp, or hyperventilate, but it feels like it's a slight struggle, and I sometimes have to take a deliberately deep breath to try to make up for it, if that makes any sense.

- Random aches across my chest. It feels like an ache you get when you've been lying in a weird position, it's like a cramp ache or an indigestion ache. It feels like moving positions would help it, or a stretch would help. The aches last a second or two, then go. They can come in bursts for a few minutes, or just be a one off.

The two last bullet points there kind of go together. The best way I can describe the sensation is to hold your breath. After a while, your chest will start to ache because it's not getting enough air. That's pretty much what the feelings are like.

I feel generally well in myself, I'm eating OK, I can jog a small amount (1-2km every night), I can walk 20 mins to work, my BP is fine, pulse fine, temperature fine, etc. I don't particularly think it's a massive heart problem, but with my anxiety, my brain does go straight there. Also, it's a bit weird that these symptoms have appeared out of nowhere, and not at a particularly stressful time. They are relatively constant, i.e., not peaking or rising - it's just stays at the same level. It's definitely not like a attack type feeling, it's more subtle than that.

So, my question is - does anyone else get this? What remedies do you suggest?

damianjmcgrath
30-04-16, 18:28
I've been looking up acid reflux and on this website, the second article down titled SNERD, seemed to describe me really well.

http://drkurtbarrett.com/serendipity/

Does anyone else recognise themselves from that? Perhaps it's acid reflux irritating the vagus nerve?

countrygirl
30-04-16, 21:11
You are describing ectopic heartbeats perfectly. They are harmless. What happens is that the heart puts in an extra beat in the wrong place - it pauses to reset itself and then gives an extra hard beat to empty the heart of blood. This gives the thump feeling often felt as well in the neck and chest. It can also make you feel a bit lightheaded at the same time and it can make you feel a bit tight chested as well.

I have had them for over 35 years every single day. Cardiologist said I qoute - they are horrible but harmless - they are usually only noticed by very anxious people - they are a normal variation in heartbeat in a healthy heart.

The more you worry about them the longer they last.

Some tips are to cough hard when you feel it as this resets the heart as well. Keep off caffeine and alcohol. Don't get hungry or overeat and have a full stomach. If they are bothering you do some exercise as they tend to occur when you are resting and your heartbeat is slower.

damianjmcgrath
02-05-16, 22:41
Thank you for your comments. That's reassuring.

In regards to the low on air problem I'm having, I struggle to describe it. I can breathe fine, I'm not gasping or anything. I can take deep breaths with no pain. But I get tight pains as if I've been holding my breath for minutes. If you hold your breath, eventually you can feel different parts of your body protest in tight aches and your chest muscles start to ache. That's exactly what my pains are like. It's like things aren't quite operating at full power.

Has anyone else had those types of aches?

Shellyhay
03-05-16, 09:03
You are describing ectopic heartbeats perfectly. They are harmless. What happens is that the heart puts in an extra beat in the wrong place - it pauses to reset itself and then gives an extra hard beat to empty the heart of blood. This gives the thump feeling often felt as well in the neck and chest. It can also make you feel a bit lightheaded at the same time and it can make you feel a bit tight chested as well.

I have had them for over 35 years every single day. Cardiologist said I qoute - they are horrible but harmless - they are usually only noticed by very anxious people - they are a normal variation in heartbeat in a healthy heart.

The more you worry about them the longer they last.

Some tips are to cough hard when you feel it as this resets the heart as well. Keep off caffeine and alcohol. Don't get hungry or overeat and have a full stomach. If they are bothering you do some exercise as they tend to occur when you are resting and your heartbeat is slower.

Hi countrygirl
You say they only tend to come while resting ... !!! Can they also occur when working and going about your daily chores ???

countrygirl
03-05-16, 11:25
Ectopics can happen anytime any place! They tend to be worse when you heartbeat is slower which ties in with lack of acitivity and reduce if you are exercising as a faster heart helps stop the ectopics. sometimes nothing works or changes. At their worst for me I had 2 weeks where every 3rd beat was an ectopic beat regardelss of how fast or slow my heartrate was.

This is why Dr's often say if you are experiencing alot of ectopics to do some exercise as this usually stops them.

Re the lack of air feeling of OP. You may be unconsciously holding your breath. I do this when anxious - I breathe slowly and find myself holding my breath with tension. This can give a feeling as if you can't breathe although in fact you can breath normally. Its just a sensation from very tense chest muscles.

Shellyhay
03-05-16, 17:41
Can you advise me on how to manage them... I'm desperate for them to go away as they scare me to death. Today for example i was at work and they just came on multiples in a row properly every 3rd beat or so..

skippy66
03-05-16, 22:55
ShellyHay, read this article & let me know if it helps: http://www.healthanxietyhq.com/how-to-cope-with-heart-palpitations/

I wrote it 3 years ago but still get regular emails from people telling me how it's helped them!

MyNameIsTerry
04-05-16, 04:33
ShellyHay, read this article & let me know if it helps: http://www.healthanxietyhq.com/how-to-cope-with-heart-palpitations/

I wrote it 3 years ago but still get regular emails from people telling me how it's helped them!

You've got a sticky thread on here that looks about the same...and doesn't include all the advertising lures for your product. :whistles:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=149546

Shellyhay
04-05-16, 07:28

Thank you Skippy66
I have read your article, it made me weep a little bit only because it is a mirror of what I'm going through, and I don't understand who I've managed to get here if that makes sense.
From today I am going to take what everyone has told me on board and try to convince myself that I am perfectly well. When I get theses horrible skipped beats I will practise your technics. I have already joined the gym and although I get the palps warming up they disappear when my heart is racing so I do hold that helps.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will update you with my progress