PDA

View Full Version : A big test

Jimbo
09-03-07, 15:16
I've made a big comitment with one of my friends without thinking about it and I'm a bit worried I'm not going to be able to handle it.

My friend phoned me up and said there were tickets available for a gig in London this weekend for a band I'd love to see. At the time I thought wow, I can't miss that, and agreed without thinking about the implications.

It means I'm going to have to travel to London on the train, go on the tube to Brixton, a part of London I've never been to and find the venue, all on my own! Then handle a busy gig with thousands of people! :S

I'm determined to go cause I can't miss seeing the band, but I'm so anxious and scared about it. This will be the furthest from home and the most challenging thing I've done in ages, I'm so scared I'll end up having a panic attack or something awful might happen. Maybe it's taking a bigger step than I can cope with.

Yikes, what do I do?

skylight2007
09-03-07, 15:54
Hey Jim, opportunity knocks!!!! have you taken a bigger step? No I dont think so hon, once again its the feelings your concerned about, think more about the love of the band and how much your going to enjoy it. Its all about change jim, doing something that your not use to doing, is it safe to travel , YES, can you do it, you are safe , yep its a test, heres an opportunity to TRUST IN YOUR OWN FEELINGS, you will not let yourself down, you want to go, you are going, you have the courage to feel safe, trust in you feelings Jim, its gonna be one hell of a gig!!!! and an achievement, enjoy. love skylight:hugs:

skylight2007
09-03-07, 15:57
:hugs: Lemonade!!! you have a great time toooo, its just great to hear you are getting your life back on track, feel the fear and do away with it, enjoy!!! love skylight

groovygranny
09-03-07, 16:00
Hi Jimbo!

[It means I'm going to have to travel to London on the train, go on the tube to Brixton, a part of London I've never been to and find the venue, all on my own! Then handle a busy gig with thousands of people! :S]

I can relate to this a bit. Back in 1982 my husband had his first coronary by-pass operation. I had to travel to London on the coach from Plymouth and then find the hospital once I was there. I'm a country girl (not very streetwise!) and, other than a trip to Birmingham with work colleagues before I was married, I hadn't travelled far at all let alone by myself!! But, I had to go. So I left my two daughters aged 5 and 2 with my parents and off I went. It was very daunting but it's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it (all a bit of a blur now though!). And I lived to tell the tale - so did my husband as we went on to have another daughter 2 years later lol !!

Sometimes an 'on-the-spot' decision can be the right thing to do, and I think this is. So you go and have a great time and tell us al about it when you get back ok?

lotsa luv

GG :emot-dance:

xx

jo61
09-03-07, 17:00
Hi, the anticipation is almost always worse than the event. If you go, you may find it'll be fine.

statycBG
09-03-07, 20:04
Absolutely do it ! Being brave doesn't mean not scared.If you go and face your fears you are beating them,no,not because you are not scared,you maybe are scared or affraid,but you did it,you faced them !
I am sure you will have a great time,no matter what.
Enjoy !

Jimbo
10-03-07, 16:54
I'm definately going tomorrow! I'm feeling more positive about it this afternoon.

I've got my journey planned now and my friend is going to meet me in Waterloo and help me navigate the tubes, the bit that was worrying me the most. He said it's probably not best to meet in Brixton and be hanging around there waiting, even for someone who doesn't suffer from pa's & anxiety, lol!

I know it's going to be a challenge, but I'm going to do it. I'm actually feeling quite excited about it now. :D

Jim

nomorepanic
10-03-07, 17:18
Jim

Good luck - you will love it once there I am sure.

Let us know ok?

jo61
10-03-07, 17:42
Have a great time Jim. Great achievement to do all the public transport bit - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Rennie1989
10-03-07, 18:12
Gosh! You are so brave to do that. I can get a train on my own but not a tube! I hate small spaces and the last time I was on a tube I felt really bad.

Just think possitive about this gig, it's going to be great! You will have a good time.

What band are you seeing then?

Jimbo
10-03-07, 18:55
Thanks again for all the encouragement, I will definately let you all know how it goes.

It's the tube and the travel side that's really worrying me most, dealing with public transport is very difficult for me, but my friend who understands my dificulties is going to be with me from Waterloo train station onwards thankfully. I usually feel a lot safer when I'm with someone else who knows how I might be suffering. It's still going to be a big thing for me tho.

I'm fully expecting to be very anxious, but I'm going to try to cope with it. I've been finding the technique of just accepting the anxiety and panic, even if it is intense has worked before, nothing bad has ever happened to me, like people keep reassuring me, so I'm just going to go and not worry too much if I do panic anyway.

Seeing "Nine Inch Nails", so being at the gig itself is going to be mad! If you've never heard of them their music is very intense, heavy industrial rock/metal. Lot's of crazy people there no doubt, lol. I just hope I'm able to cope enough to enjoy myself, I've not been to a big gig in years so I don't know how I'm going to react while there with all the big crowds etc.

It's probably going to be a bit of a trial by fire for me, I've not been out and done anything like this in many months. Especially going on the worst nightmare of all public transport: The London Underground! I'm determined to get through it tho, no matter what happens, I just hope I haven't taken on too much in one go!
I'm going to take my camera, so if I'm feeling brave I might post a pic. :blush:

Jim

Rennie1989
10-03-07, 19:30
Lol heavy metal = MOSHING!!!

If you do mosh then be careful, I thought I lost a tooth when I went into a mosh pit and I got a dozen people on top of me when I fell over! None the less, it's fun.

Enjoy yourself!

Jimbo
10-03-07, 19:36
Lol, I won't be doing any of that! I'm too old for that now I think, lol.

I think the tickets we have are in the seated area so it should be a bit calmer there. :emot-pray:

Jim

sweetpea
11-03-07, 08:27
Hi, hope you had a fab time!!! Let us know how you got on. I think your attitude is great!! The only way to really getting over this....

xs

Panic1971
11-03-07, 08:35
Have a great time. Once you are there you will forget all about your anxieties etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Granny Primark
11-03-07, 09:34
What a brave thing to do do Jimbo. Im full of admiration for you.
Hope you have a fantastic time and Im sure youl come back feeling so good about yourself.
Youve made me feel really old tho! lol.:mad:
"Nine inch nails" ? Thats something I thought we only had in our shed.
I think Im upto date with music by knowing who abba are.:D I now know who the kaiser chiefs are cus Ive just bought their cd. Hows that for granny primark keeping up to date?:yesyes:
Looking forward to hearing what a great time youve had.

Take care
LYNN xx

Jimbo
11-03-07, 14:04
Aww lynn, u don't have ur dob in ur profile so I can't see how old you really are :tongue: I'm sure it's not that bad!

Well.. here goes, I'm setting off in a few mins. :S

I'm armed with my ipod with some chilling tunes for the journey, loads of ciggies to chain smoke and a few valium just in case. :blush:

Cya all tomorrow.

Jim :emot-wave:

Wendie j
11-03-07, 17:33
aww jim you have fun and good on ya,sorry im catching up with your thread so late,but im sure as i write you are having a great time!sending lots of good thoughts your way:yesyes: let us know all about it eh!

wendie j xxxx

Jimbo
12-03-07, 12:39
:yahoo:Woot! Made it, and back home safe. :yahoo:

I guess this should go into the success stories forum now. :D

A few big panics here and there on the way, but I made it through them! The worst was when we almost got set uppon by one of Brixton's 'special brew' crew trying to get money out of us while in the queue to get in. Scary! Why is it 'crazy' people always seem to go for me? lol.

The gig was awesome, very emotional for me, I've wanted to see the Nails live for so many years and have finally done it. A lot of the songs have special meaning for me as I grew up listening to them and mark some memorable times in my life.

Most of my pics didn't come out very well, stupid digital cameras!:lac: Here's one of a very bedraggled, panicked Jim stood in a very busy waterloo train station, just about managing a smile somehow. :blush:

If I can do it, you can too! :yesyes:

http://upload7.postimage.org/162264/Waterloo.jpg (http://upload7.postimage.org/162264/photo_hosting.html)

Jim

Wendie j
12-03-07, 12:49
:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:
WOW WOW WOW!!! WELL DONE!!!

so pleased for you jim just what an achievement so proud of you,you have given me such inspiration as im sure many others.

Wendie j xxxxxx

statycBG
12-03-07, 13:15
Awesome Jimbo ! I knew you will have a great time !
see ! That's what i told you.Facing the fears is the key to success.You were affraid,but you did it,the fear didn't stoped you !
Congratolations Jimbo,you made a step forward !

Jimbo
12-03-07, 13:34
Thanks to everyone who encouraged me, it was a great help for my motivation. :yesyes:

Jim :hugs:

nomorepanic
12-03-07, 13:42
Jim

Wow a HUGE well done

We are all so proud of you :yesyes: :hugs: :yahoo:

I bet you feel chuffed now don't you?

Jimbo
12-03-07, 13:56
I bet you feel chuffed now don't you?

Very! :D

Tough as panic attacks are, and they still haven't got any easier for me yet, they don't do any harm, and you can get through them. Here is the proof! :okay:

Jim

domino
12-03-07, 14:01
Just take a look at my signature, it speaks for itself.

skylight2007
12-03-07, 14:32
:hugs: Awwwwwwww jim!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats the best news ever!!!!!! and you have that pic as a reminder of your achievements, very very busy waterloo!!!!!!!!! you did yourself proud, very proud, congrats for pushing yourself forward, feel the fear and do away with it!!!!!!! skylight is singing, ' your simply the best' :D . once again jim a huge well done to youuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yesyes: love skylight

Under~The~Stars
12-03-07, 16:44
WELL DONE JIM!!!!!

You did so well!! You managed to go and have a good time, and you panicked too, but you worked through the panic - you didn't let it stop you. Which in my eyes is a massive achievement :D

I told you you can beat this! You have made such a positive step forward. Hold onto that memory - it will help you, when you come to face other things that are hard for you to do just now :)

Keep up the good work!

I was so pleased to read this thread - what an inspiration :hugs:

Jimbo
12-03-07, 17:38
and you have that pic as a reminder of your achievements

Now every1 has to see my ugly mug here tho! I look terrible in it :P

No comments about getting 'hair cuts' please!

But thanks again very much every1, I really think you guys helped a lot with all the encouragement.

Jim

skylight2007
12-03-07, 17:52
:D hair cut!!!!!!!!!! now that you mentioned it!!!!!!!!!!!! hahhahah, yur pic looks just fine jim!!!!! take care of you!!!love skylight!!!:yesyes:

statycBG
12-03-07, 19:11
So Jimbo,how do you feel here at home,or around the town/city.Are you less affraid from the panic attacks:)

Jimbo
12-03-07, 19:58
I don't know, I think I need some time for it all to sink in a bit. It was a massive thing to have done. I'm amazed at myself for actually making it. Once I had set off there was no way out of it really, so I had no choice but to get through it. I'm almost finding it hard to believe I actually did it!

It was really helpful to have an understanding friend with me, I would never have survived the tubes on my own. He really helped by talking to me and distracting me when I was getting really anxious.

The panic was still there, they've not gone away just by facing my fears that I might have them. I've had worse panic attacks before in much less frightening situations, so I guess they are improving. Trouble is they are so unpredictable as to when they come and how intense they are going to be. I guess I am less frightened of them, so maybe that will help with the anxiety from anticipation/fear that I will have them in future situations.

I think it's a 'notch on my belt' on my journey to recovery, so I feel I am getting there slowly. It feels like a big achievement for me.

I'm exausted today from it all and glad to back home in my comfort zone, I think it's gonna take a few days for it all to sort itself out in my head. I really hope it has helped, even if it's only a little bit, only time will tell I think.

Jim

Jimbo
14-03-07, 22:17
But boy have you set the level high! How on earth are you going to beat that one!

I've been thinking about that. :emot-bulb:

I normally go to Glastonbury Music Festival every year, it's wasn't on last year so I haven't been for nearly 2 years now.

I've already taken the first step of registering so I can buy a ticket, the next step is to get one when they go on sale on 1st April. (£150 tho, yikes! :ohmy: )

Now that is really gonna be a big test, 5 days, in a tent, biggest crowds in europe, many crazy people, no easy escape... (where is the worried smiley? :S :unsure:)

Jim

normalwisdom
14-03-07, 22:26
Hey I am one of those crazy people that have registered so here goes beat you to the tickets lol:winks: If I go it will be so huge for me!!

Only just caught up with this post so well done for that WOW :yesyes: .

BTW Hope you pic was better than mine on the registration form.....I know they ain't gonna let me in lol i look so much better in real life haha:shades:

Jimbo
14-03-07, 22:38
Lol, I've succeeded in getting there every year it's been on since 97 somehow, it has been bad for the last few years with all the security :whistles: and the mad rush for tickets, but have got them eventually. Good luck to you.

My pic on the registration is real bad... My theory is that if I look like a criminal on my pic, then they'll let me in with no probs when I turn up looking like one, lol!

Have you been before? It's an incredible experience, I've not been while suffering from the problems I've had recently so it's gonna be even more of an 'experience' for me this year. :winks:

Jim

normalwisdom
15-03-07, 11:34
No I have never been........thought I would try before I got too old:wacko: .

I just hope I get the tickets!!!!!!! Will be up early on April 1st LOL:winks:

Jimbo
15-03-07, 12:02
I don't think you ever get to old for it! My mum still goes, she get's access to sunday tickets as she lives in the area. You see all ages there, some that are old enough to be my gran!

Getting tickets isn't too bad if you are determined enough, and it's a sunday so I'm hoping most people will be asleep in bed while I'm up early getting them :emot-pray: .

Glad you're giving it a try, it's one heck of an event, wondering how I'm going to get through it, and I haven't even bought the tickets yet! :unsure:

Jim

Jimbo
01-04-07, 11:35
Well I finally got through on the internet and ordered my Glasto tickets earlier. :D They sold out in 2 hours! :ohmy:

At least I now have a few months to build myself up for it. It's gonna be crazy! :wacko:

Jim

normalwisdom
01-04-07, 11:58
Got mine too:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: took blummin ages to get through though!!!

Jimbo
01-04-07, 12:02
Yeah, took me 45 mins and 10 separate IE pages open constantly refreshing to get through, lol!

Under~The~Stars
01-04-07, 19:24
Well done Jim!! :yesyes: Thats really good, and you have plenty of time to prepare - it will be amazing!! :yesyes:

Steph, well done to you too!! :yesyes: