PDA

View Full Version : Had breast MRI yesterday, scared!!!

Leslie735
30-04-16, 02:29
Back in January I discovered a dent on the side of my breast when I lift my arm on the right side near my arm. I had a mammogram/ultrasound back in February, all clear. I was still scared so I saw a surgeon, 3 times. He didn't think it was anything bad. He said a stretched ligment/loose skin from having kids (I'm 31 and I have 2 kids). I pushed for a breast MRI because I had read they are the test to have. The surgeon didn't think it was necessary but agreed to send me. So I had it done yesterday. I'm a mess waiting for the results. :( I keep reading about false positives. I'm petrified at the thought of having to get back in that MRI machine. The Dr said if I ended up needing a biopsy it would be MRI guided since no other imaging has picked it up. It wasn't a pleasant experience so I'm just so freaked out between the thought of a biopsy/results more waiting, MRI again. Ughhhhh!!!! I just need to vent. :(

cpe1978
30-04-16, 08:59
I think, without wishing to appear blunt, that you should be more concerned with why you are having an MRI in the first place. You saw a doctor, had a mammogram showed nothing. You saw a surgeon three times and had to convince him against his better judgement to give you an MRI.

The fact is that a set of medical professionals didn't think the test was necessary and allowed you to have it. The only thing keeping you locked in the sense of dread is your health anxiety, which is pushing a whole set of irrational thoughts into your brain. Most people would have stopped at the point the doctor said nothing showed on the mammogram.

That is not in any way to belittle health anxiety. Boy have I been where you are and it was horrible. But having been there I also understand that this cycle of progressively more significant testing, followed by worrying about results followed by disbelieving them is a cycle you need to break.

If you search hard enough you will find something wrong with your body - we all would. When you get the trauma of waiting for results out of the way, my very strong advice would be to think very hard about what you are doing to tackle your anxiety. Otherwise this month's mammogram will be next month's endoscopy.

Leslie735
03-05-16, 16:21
Thought I'd bump this up for anyone that may be going through something similar and searching. I ended up seeing a surgeon and received a breast MRI last week, got the phone call, came back completely normal

debs71
03-05-16, 16:35
I think, without wishing to appear blunt, that you should be more concerned with why you are having an MRI in the first place. You saw a doctor, had a mammogram showed nothing. You saw a surgeon three times and had to convince him against his better judgement to give you an MRI.

The fact is that a set of medical professionals didn't think the test was necessary and allowed you to have it. The only thing keeping you locked in the sense of dread is your health anxiety, which is pushing a whole set of irrational thoughts into your brain. Most people would have stopped at the point the doctor said nothing showed on the mammogram.

That is not in any way to belittle health anxiety. Boy have I been where you are and it was horrible. But having been there I also understand that this cycle of progressively more significant testing, followed by worrying about results followed by disbelieving them is a cycle you need to break.

If you search hard enough you will find something wrong with your body - we all would. When you get the trauma of waiting for results out of the way, my very strong advice would be to think very hard about what you are doing to tackle your anxiety. Otherwise this month's mammogram will be next month's endoscopy.

Thought I would honour your great post with the reply and acknowledgement that it actually deserved to get, cpe1978....instead of just being ignored.

I totally agree with every word, and you speak a lot of sense.x

Fishmanpa
03-05-16, 16:39
Great news and a "told ya so" too ;)

I'm bumping something you said about seeking help for your anxiety to hold you to it....

...trust me I know my health anxiety is spiraled out of control but until I can 100% prove this dent is nothing, I cannot work on it right now. I need to know that first, then, I plan on working it.

Now you know and now you need to start working on the real issue.

Positive thoughts

Leslie735
03-05-16, 16:54
Great news and a "told ya so" too ;)

I'm bumping something you said about seeking help for your anxiety to hold you to it....

Now you know and now you need to start working on the real issue.

Positive thoughts

Thank you! I'm glad you can say "I told ya so" believe me! lol! ;)

I've already started my research on therapists in my area. :) I'm also going to start exercising and eating better to help too. :yahoo:

Fishmanpa
03-05-16, 18:50
Thank you! I'm glad you can say "I told ya so" believe me! lol! ;)

I've already started my research on therapists in my area. :) I'm also going to start exercising and eating better to help too. :yahoo:

:yesyes: ... And I'm holding you to it!

Positive thoughts

Leslie735
03-05-16, 18:56

I'm sorry I never replied to this. I was just in a such a state last week/weekend that I just couldn't. I do appreciate your words. Really I do. But tat the time it was just too much to take in you know? I needed to hear those results, I was frozen in fear. Now that I got the good news, I do plan on working on my anxiety, like really working on it.