PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram working?

AndyB510
30-04-16, 10:03
Okay, a bit of a story that may hopefully help people on here considering citalopram as a method of assisting with anxiety, social and general.

I was on Cit around 7 years ago and eventually felt well enough to do a slow tapered withdrawal from them. Ever since I have managed my anxiety without the need for tablets, however late 2014 I experienced some life changes which brought it all back in glorious technicolour.

Doctor prescribed 10mg and enrolled on an online CBT course. CBT was useful in putting a framework on coping mechanisms that I was already doing to some extent and helped a little. However not liking being on meds I didnt bother taking the Cit.

Things were up and down but gradually got worse with more life changing stuff in the guise of a new job. New job soon equalled really bad anxiety, especially socially not thinking I'd fit in etc etc

Eventually I decided to start the Cit, not an ideal time when getting to grips with work but I dont think there is ever a 'good' time. Despite reading numerous posts about 'therapeutic dose' being around 20-40mg my dislike of meds saw me halving the Cit and taking 5mg a day in the evening with a view that I could up the dose if needed.

First couple of weeks were shaky to say the least with the usual heightened anxiety (not good in a work situ and staring at a computer to avoid conversation makes things worse and more difficult to interact), fuzzy headedness, heating up, sweats etc, all the usual.

Surprised then on such a low dose that this week after around 16 days the usual trepidation of work suddenly lifted and I found myself being myself, being pro active and virtually anxiety free. Obviously still monitoring the situation and dont think Im out of the woods yet but thought I'd share that even at 5mg the Cit appears to be doing the trick, taking the edge off and returning me to normal, whatever normal is :)

This has made me wonder whether some of the reason people stop taking SSRI's is perhaps because the doctors just prescribe what they 'think' is needed and in some cases this may well be too much. Anyway hope this helps allay any fears people may have of starting on SSRI's and perhaps gives an alternative way of easing them in rather than taking a massive hit

NoPoet
30-04-16, 12:15
While the citalopram is probably doing its part to help you (any dose, even low ones, would be helpful to some extent if it's the right med for you), you've apparently come through the initial side effects into the calm on the other side. It sounds like your body has adapted to the citalopram and has accepted it. This is really good news. And the fact that you can feel confident and positive at such an early stage is also good news.

I definitely agree that GPs seem to prescribe "the standard adult dose" without thought for the patient's individual needs. You can't just start someone on a high dose of a medication that alters brain chemistry.

AndyB510
30-04-16, 12:35
I think it probably helped having had experience of SSRI's before now, must admit I was sceptical at first as to whether a low dose would do the job but thought start small and build if necessary.

Fingers crossed theyre almost bedded in now and I fully expected given the state I was in to have to increase dose etc but up to now a massive and unexpected difference is most welcome!

.Poppy.
30-04-16, 12:50
I'm glad it's working for you!!

I'm on escitalopram so not exactly the same thing, but I started at 5 mg, went up to 10 mg, and am now at 20 mg.

I noticed some side effects at 5 mg, not too many really and no benefits. At 10 mg all the side effects came out - feeling shaky, nauseous, extra anxious. It was totally bearable but even after they went away after a few weeks there was little benefit.

Now I'm on the 20 mg. The only side effects I had from moving up were more vivid dreams (not nightmares, and it's actually kind of cool) and being intensely thirsty more often which is fine as I probably need to drink more water anyway. After a few weeks at 20 I'm finally starting to feel the benefits - I had a great day for the first time in a long time yesterday, actually feeling good about myself. Unheard of!

I think they're different for everyone but I'm super glad you've managed to find something that works well for you. Best of luck with your recovery!! xx

AndyB510
30-04-16, 13:00
Thanks Poppy

Glad to hear you too are coming out of the malaise so to speak. I think youre right and it is a very individual thing in terms of dose and effectiveness. Think the key is to find your level, Im really pleased that yours and mine are now starting to make a difference as I know only too well how dark things can get.

Ive had a couple of anxious moments so its not all plain sailing but now appear to have been able to manage them either through breathing or activity. I dont expect them to 'cure' as I know what they're like but a leg up to steady you is a great comfort.

I was on Escitalopram last time, think they said that they were a more potent version as when I did the tapered withdrawal they moved me onto normal Cit as they were easier to cut into halves and quarters etc.

Best of luck with your journey back to the land of the living :)

Mojo61
30-04-16, 18:39
I'm only on 10mg, been on it for one month on 2nd May so still early days really. I didn't have the very bad side effects I was expecting, felt a bit nauseated, heightened anxiety, weird thoughts, but nothing intolerable. At my review yesterday the doctor suggested keeping me on 10mg for another 2 weeks as I'm only just starting to see a little improvement so to give it more time. She said that many people can be stable on 10mg but are never given the chance to find out because they are either started off straight away on 20mg (the so called "therapeutic" dose) or their 10mg dose is increased to 20mg after 2 weeks before giving the 10mg a chance to see if it would have worked.

Lisah34
30-04-16, 22:03
Its goid to hear a positive story of ciralopram. I had the opposite and they made me very ill. But i believed they gave me too higher dose to start off with. Im only 4ft 11 and tiny framed byt they put me on 20mg. Maybe i would of had a better time if i started low

pulisa
01-05-16, 08:31
Sometimes less is a far better option especially for those of us who can't tolerate these meds but I don't think GPs realise this as they just go by NICE guidelines and the so-called therapeutic starting dose (which can be dynamite!)

All the very best for your continued progress, Andy.

AndyB510
01-05-16, 15:29
I think that's correct, they just throw them out as per guidelines, I wanted to see how little I could get away with, had a couple of wobbles this weekend but think that's down to being too impressed with progress and having a celebratory drink on Friday.

From past experience too, I never got any reasoned advice from the doctors, merely a prescription so no wonder so many people come on here for reassurance

AndyB510
16-05-16, 18:35
A little update that may or may not help others:

20 odd days in and there have been a couple of blips where the fear has returned in bouts but somehow they are now few and far between or at least more handleable.

When they occur its almost like the old extreme anxiety knocking on the door but the cit appears to take the edge off what would normally be full blown and the rest is down to yourself to push through using the cit as a crutch rather than a saviour if that makes any sense. From my experience its all about using the cit as an opportunity to reassert your own coping mechanisms even though you know its safety net still has holes in it.

Experiencing more good days than bad which is a bonus, the key message I think is that each 'wobble' where you regress to the old state is more easily halted and each situation I fear, in reality proves me wrong in a lot of cases, its about belief with the cit giving you a helping hand to believe in yourself and your ability more

Over and out