PDA

View Full Version : Liver.

zippy
30-04-16, 12:39
I had bloods done last week and part of my liver function test is high (ALT 100). I am having a scan a week today but i am so worried that it's serious but keep thinking and trying to reassure myself that FBC and inflammation markers were all normal. Had a back ache for months so now i am thinking it's connected. I can feel myself getting down and withdrawing again, I hate HA !!

countrygirl
30-04-16, 13:37
There are loads of reasons for iffy liver results that are not serious. anything from a drug you have been taking ( this is very common reason) to gallstones. Is this your first liver function test or have you have lots of others before?
I have a friend who had really bad results on his first ever test and after loads of investigations it turned out this was normal for him!
Were you dehydrated at your blood test as this can give wonky results as well, they always tell you to drink plenty before having any blood test for this reason and to make it easier to get the blood.
An ultrasound will help rule out anything nasty so although I understand its nerve wracking once its done and you have results you will know the answer.

I assume you don't drink alcohol in any quantity?

zippy
30-04-16, 14:20
I do take paracetamol everyday and sometimes co codamol but i have stopped them since and i have alcohol once a week or less. The nurse struggled to get my blood and asked if i had drank plenty but i don't think that's why it's high.

countrygirl
30-04-16, 22:38
Paracetamol can def raise ALT results to abnormal level. Dr's take into account if ALT is raised in ratio to other levels as on its own its not necessarily a problem unless very high.
Its possible if you had been taking 2-3 doses of paracetamol or co codamol for a length of time this is the reason.
A friend of mine took anti fungal tablets for a year for toenail infection and had scarily raised liver test results due to this drug - she was just monitered every few months until they returned to normal but it took 6 months!