PDA

View Full Version : My first post

Iheartray
09-03-07, 19:13
Hello everyone. I'm a 24 year old female, and I've been suffering from what seem to be panic/anxiety attacks for the past year. I remember it starting sort of suddenly, one day I had a huge panic attack and ever since then I had constant fogginess/lightheadedness. Some days are much worse than others, and a few times a week I have full blown panic attacks. I haven't been diagnosed for this for a couple of reasons, at first I was convinced that something else was physically wrong with me, and also going to see the doctor (sitting in the waiting room, registering) is one of the places I'm most likely to have an attack :(
Anyways, the past couple of weeks I was starting to feel really good, I've changed my diet, been exercising more, been getting out of the house more. Unfortunately 2 days ago I had a bad attack and I've felt horrible ever since, it's really discouraging, I feel like I've taken one step forward and two back. Will this ever get better?

Keitharcher
09-03-07, 20:46
Hi

Im glad to have to tell you that it will get better, you were doing all the right things and winning, but then you had a set back thats all it is a set back. Forget the incident remember tomorrow is a brand new day, the events that will happen havent been written yet, and as you are the author its up to you to write a happy day. carry on with the good work, remember your success, forget your failure.

Keith

Iheartray
10-03-07, 07:19
Thank you for replying, it's nice to hear things like that. I actually had a semi-good day today. Work was hellish though, I felt dizzy and panicky all day. I'm feeling a little more optimistic though, Thank you.

Freaky Chick
10-03-07, 13:33
Hi There

Welcome to the site:hugs:, Glad you found us :)

You are doing really well to get this far. To actually posting, and talking to us. It will get better, there are up days and down days. I find when i am down, exercise esp. cardiovascular exercise really helps me to feel better.

Remeber each step forward is a step closer the goal of getting there in the end.

You may find writing down your good achievements helps, cos you can look back on them when you have a bad day, though make sure your good achievement book is kept only for that, have another book to write how you are feeling exactly in!

I can't go to my GP alone, the waiting room provokes anxiety in me, i'm scared of all people. Is there a close friend or relative that can go with you to see your GP? Or maybe you could phone and ask to have the first appointment, tell them you are anxious of the waiting room, they might be able to sort something out - my GP takes his coffee break 15 mins later when he has to see me, so the waiting room is quieter for me.

Getting out, and keeping going, a little step each time is the way through.
I find these things help me, some of them may help you too.

Deep breathing, slow and focused, as well as reminding myself that yes i feel like this, but what is the actual danger here? what is the real truth, is it really as dangerous as my reactions are telling me it is.

Sometimes i panic, and sometimes i don't - i'm working on the times I panic!

You are not alone in this - that is very important to know. We are here - even if we are across the pond!!!!

Love Freaky Chick.:hugs:

Iheartray
10-03-07, 18:24
Hello. I'm glad I found you, too! It sucks that we all have this condition, but it is good to know that I'm not the only one :) I'm finally to the point where I'm letting people know about my anxiety instead of dealing with it all alone, and I think that's helping alot. The only hard part is trying to describe it to people who've never gone through it.

I really like the idea of keeping a notebook of how I'm feeling, it sounds like a good way to let things out, and sort through my feelings. I've also been doing alot of cardio and working on breathing exercises. The breathing exercises seem to work really well for me when I feel an attack coming on. Cutting caffeine out of my diet also seemed to help quite a bit.

So have any of you tried any kinds of medication for this? I really don't want to have to resort to meds but I'd like to know about the different kinds out there if it continues to get worse.

Hope everyone's having a great day!

<3 Kat

Piglet
10-03-07, 19:20
A big welcome to the site :D

Piglet :flowers:

nomorepanic
11-03-07, 12:44
Hi there

Just wanted to welcome you aboard. Lovely to see you here and hope we can be of some help.

jo61
11-03-07, 16:05
You're very welcome. You'll get lots of new friends and good advice here.