PDA

View Full Version : Dark areas on gums

Bmorgy05
01-05-16, 02:00
I have been worried sick for weeks!!! I have had a discolored area on my gums in between my two bottom teeth for a little over a year. I didn't think much of it until my anxiety skyrocketed and I began to investigate my mouth.... BIG MISTAKE!!! I found 2 more areas that were discolored. I made an appointment w/ my dentist and he assured me it was normal & told me it's simply pigmentation. That put my mind at ease until I googled "dark spots on gums".. Again, HUGE MISTAKE! That sent me to the dentist yet again. He again assured me this was nothing to worry about. I am so worried I'm physically sick!!! I have second guessed everything he said. Please help!!!! I'm going absolutely insane!!

hanshan
01-05-16, 08:41
Hi Bmorgy05,

First of all, you need to know that while you may very, very possibly divided by ten thousand have a physical illness, you 100% have health anxiety.

A strong case of health anxiety keeps seeking reassurances, only to discard them as the anxiety returns.

Nevertheless, I will provide a reassurance that may last for a short while. Your dentist has spent years studying the mouth, not just the teeth, and spent hours every day for years looking at mouths and gums. If your dentist says the dark spots are just natural pigmentation (that they have no doubt seen many times), I would believe them.

If the anxiety over health keeps returning, you need to seek treatment as a psychological rather than a physical illness.