PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when u feel panic start?

Lilly26
02-05-16, 19:23
Hi everyone!

I've been diagnosed about 9 years ago with OCD and back then only really had one major omg panic attack which was horrific.

Recently for example if I'm out and someone I know sees me and comes over to chat literally all I can think about is I'm going to have a panic attack I'm going to freak out and all I want to do is run away. This happens in most outings to be honest hairdressers, meeting friends but is usually worse when it's a one on one situation.

The last time it happened it was awful I managed to stayin the situation really only because the person who was chatting to me wouldn't stop talking even after I said I had to go and the panic subsided but in the back of mind what makes it all so much worse is me thinking they know I'm freaking out right now it makes everything a million times worse.

So does anyone have any coping strategies to try to calm u down and not make the situation escalate with such unhelpful thoughts like they can tell I'm freaking out etc etc.

Sorry for such a massive post x

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

I forgot to ask I was thinking if I could manage I could just say to whoever it is hi I feel panicky right now it will pass soon how are u? I don't know if that would be classed as a safety behaviour? But it might make it better to just say this is what's happening instead of my mind telling me that the person thinks I'm crazy?

I don't even know if that would be a possibility once I'm in the situation i just need to know how to cope it's so hard

nikita
02-05-16, 19:28
It all depends where I am. Today I was at home and just came on here and reading other peoples experiences helped. I managed to get through without taking xanax, but I always have them with me, in case I take an attack when I am out or at work. If Im at work I sometimes get a bag of frozen veg or something out of freezer and put it to the back of my neck. running your wrists under cold water helps too. I used to see my grandfather do that.

bobpeters
02-05-16, 22:51
Hi everyone!

I've been diagnosed about 9 years ago with OCD and back then only really had one major omg panic attack which was horrific.

Recently for example if I'm out and someone I know sees me and comes over to chat literally all I can think about is I'm going to have a panic attack I'm going to freak out and all I want to do is run away. This happens in most outings to be honest hairdressers, meeting friends but is usually worse when it's a one on one situation.

The last time it happened it was awful I managed to stayin the situation really only because the person who was chatting to me wouldn't stop talking even after I said I had to go and the panic subsided but in the back of mind what makes it all so much worse is me thinking they know I'm freaking out right now it makes everything a million times worse.

So does anyone have any coping strategies to try to calm u down and not make the situation escalate with such unhelpful thoughts like they can tell I'm freaking out etc etc.

Sorry for such a massive post x

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

I forgot to ask I was thinking if I could manage I could just say to whoever it is hi I feel panicky right now it will pass soon how are u? I don't know if that would be classed as a safety behaviour? But it might make it better to just say this is what's happening instead of my mind telling me that the person thinks I'm crazy?

I don't even know if that would be a possibility once I'm in the situation i just need to know how to cope it's so hard

Part of what I Have evolved to do:
At first I would ask myself, what if I wasn't afraid of that thing I'm afraid of? And now that i know the cause was me telling me a scary story, I tell myself I am telling myself a scary story! and that is what is making me afraid, I tell myself to stop telling myself scary stories, there is enough to worry about without scaring myself! I stop believing in my scary stories that I tell myself.

Suziewuzie
05-05-16, 11:33
If I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack and I'm with someone I always tell them. It makes me feel tonnes better - and nobody ever reacts with total horror they just generally say Oh OK! I don't know anything about safety behaviour but for me it helps a lot and stops me fromm worrying that whoever I'm with thinks I'm mental.

ana
05-05-16, 12:39
One of the best strategies I've discovered is deep abdominal breathing. I start taking deep breaths the moment I start feeling my anxiety levels rising whist simultaneously telling myself that everything is going to be fine, that it's just panic, etc. Saying that, this doesn't always work for me, so I just 'walk through the fire' and endure, letting the panic wash over me. Although it's uncomfortable, I find that the more you resist it, the more it persists, so I just let it happen. I feel accomplished afterwards as I've done something IN SPITE OF the anxiety. It's easy to do things and go places when you're calm, anyone can do that! It takes a lot of strength and courage to stay in a situation that's causing you discomfort and anxiety. Keep reminding yourself of that :)

Lilly26
05-05-16, 20:58
Hi everyone.

Thanks so much for all your replies!

Will take all suggestions on board!

so right Ana fighting the panic just makes it worse and also what a lovely way to look at things, I've been coming out of situations thinking that was awful thank god it's over etc etc when I should be looking at things more positively as you said in spite of the anxiety I managed to stay in a situation when I feel anything but calm x

ana
06-05-16, 18:15
I was glad to be able to help, Lilly. :) I think you should always remind yourself of how strong you are for staying in a situation that's causing you intense anxiety. Not that many people would be able to do that.

bobpeters
06-05-16, 22:19
Hi everyone.

Thanks so much for all your replies!

Will take all suggestions on board!

so right Ana fighting the panic just makes it worse and also what a lovely way to look at things, I've been coming out of situations thinking that was awful thank god it's over etc etc when I should be looking at things more positively as you said in spite of the anxiety I managed to stay in a situation when I feel anything but calm x

below said with the best of intentions to help a fellow person out...

What if a panic attack is simply unchecked fear? I think the word panic attack objectifies something into something it really isn't, into an IT, and that makes people worse off by thinking IT is some external force doing something to them, IT is us doing something to us, IT is us simply telling ourselves a scary story that we believe in, if you weren't afraid of the scary story anymore would you have escalating fear? NO.

If you laugh really hard to the point that your stomach hurts do they call it a happiness attack?

watch when you tell yourself scary stories, and practice stopping telling yourself scary stories, stop believing in your scary stories and use questions to challenge your scary stories.

Being afraid is OK! When there is something to truly be afraid of, that isn't a story you are telling yourself!

ana
07-05-16, 08:45
Bob,
I do see where you're coming from, and yes, I agree, panic attacks are not something external to ourselves. They are a physical and mental response to extreme fear that is our own, inside us. Having said that, many people feel out of control when the fear overpowers them and turns into panic, so they almost feel like they've been hit by an outside force that can't be reckoned with.

It's easy to say 'stop believing in your scary stories' when your own stories are the ones taking you on a scary journey you feel like you've not agreed to and can't get out of. It is an irrational fear that people with an anxiety disorder are struggling with, and if it were as easy not believe in it, then there wouldn't be so many of us here on this site.

bobpeters
08-05-16, 22:17
Bob,
I do see where you're coming from, and yes, I agree, panic attacks are not something external to ourselves. They are a physical and mental response to extreme fear that is our own, inside us. Having said that, many people feel out of control when the fear overpowers them and turns into panic, so they almost feel like they've been hit by an outside force that can't be reckoned with.

It's easy to say 'stop believing in your scary stories' when your own stories are the ones taking you on a scary journey you feel like you've not agreed to and can't get out of. It is an irrational fear that people with an anxiety disorder are struggling with, and if it were as easy not believe in it, then there wouldn't be so many of us here on this site.

Yes, it is easy to say, stop telling yourself scary stories and stop believing your scary stories and it is not easy! Especially when in the midst of escalated fear. To the person in fear it is not irrational, it is fear. Challenging your beleif system is the hardest thing to do, and it works.