PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I just keep spiralling!

Lamour
03-05-16, 07:08
Hello again,

I posted previously on here about a wheeze I've been having in my throat for about a month, with chest tightness.

I've already been to a couple doctors and the ER. Had blood tests and ECG, and a chest X-ray. I know, I know. That should just be enough.

I've been feeling so nauseous lately, with muscle pain including lower back pain. This evening I felt a weird kind of dizziness which I've also had off and on over the last while. Still, I'd been doing alright today so I tried to put it out of my mind. It was when I noticed that my skin looked almost... greyish? That I stupidly turned to google. And all my symptoms again pointed back to heart issues. And how you don't always feel chest pain, etc.

I know, logically, that they also point to anxiety and stress. I get it. But it's like something has locked into my mind and I just CAN'T let it go no matter what I tell myself. I feel like I'm headed for a full breakdown. I've had health anxiety before, but this is like nothing I've experienced-- it's just this complete certainty that something is wrong.

Basically, I'm desperate for advice or something to help me out of this because I feel completely helpless right now.

Thank you!!!

Shazamataz
03-05-16, 07:16
It's really hard when your tests/doctors tell you nothing is wrong but your brain just won't listen!

I've been there with certain things with this bout of anxiety I've had since October last year.

I also thought something was wrong with my heart but there isn't and I've managed to train my brain to believe it, though it took quite a while. Just keep telling yourself it is fine. All other symptoms, even looking greyish, will be because you are anxious. I won't look in the mirror now when I'm having a bad patch as I always look terrible and then that starts me worrying.

No more morrors and no Googling for you!

Take care
x

Holds1325
03-05-16, 15:37
But it's like something has locked into my mind and I just CAN'T let it go no matter what I tell myself. I feel like I'm headed for a full breakdown. I've had health anxiety before, but this is like nothing I've experienced-- it's just this complete certainty that something is wrong.

Hi,

Sorry you're experiencing this.

You've had all the test aside from a surgeon opening you up to point away from any heart-related problems.

Therefore you must understand, this isn't a cardio-vascular problem, its an anxiety problem and one that can be treated but MUST be focused on.

You can let it go but you're not doing it the right way. See what you're trying to do is find out whats wrong with you, self-diagnose, and then hopefully catch the illness before it gets worse. The problem is, there is no illness.

Instead you need to address the HA properly and reassure yourself presently:

"I am okay, the tests proved that"

"A well-educated doctor who has had vigorous years of schooling has said I'm fine." (Remember google is just a resource/tool not an expert, neither does it create one.)

"I am okay RIGHT NOW I am breathing, I can see, hear, talk, move etc."

Then go on to what you are grateful for, such as your family, your life, anything you might have, hold onto it. HA is a terribly annoying problem to deal with, but unless you deal with that directly you wont be able to let it go.

You'll be fine I'm sure :)