PDA

View Full Version : Pain in upper back ribcage.....worried.

Susie333
03-05-16, 13:46
Since Friday evening I have had a pain in my upper back ribcage, it hurts when I laugh and sometimes when I breath in. I have terrible health anxiety, I worry that I have lung cancer. I am a 59yr old female and used to smoke.
I did fracture a rib on that side 3 months ago and it took a long time for the pain to completely go and it still hurts a little bit when I touch it but this is higher up. Could it be a pulled muscle (although I've don't recall doing anything to cause this).
Any reassurace would be greatly appreciated x

Holds1325
03-05-16, 15:55
Perhaps see a doctor to rule anything out.

In the meantime it could just be irritated tissue/tendons/nerves depending on the fracture.

Do any heavy lifting since then? Any physical exertion? How about posture? These could affect the area as its only been 3 months. Again depending on the location and severity of the fracture.

Susie333
03-05-16, 20:58
Thank you for your reply. I do go running quite a lot. I was power walking when I first got the pain, I managed a 4 mile run this evening so I'm hoping that rules out lung cancer as I wouldn't imagine being able to achieve this if it were?
I just hate this worry and it's been 4 days now X

countrygirl
03-05-16, 21:12
Given the amount of exercise you are doing the most likely explanation is musculo skeletal problem. Can you rest for a week or so to see if this helps?

Your Gp can send you for a chest x ray to rule out any other cause for the pain, maybe go and discuss if you still have the pain in a few days and have rested.

Susie333
04-05-16, 11:55
Thank you country girl xx I'm still worried as the pain is still there. I do find it hard to rest :weep::weep: