PDA

View Full Version : Why do I do this to myself.

Jamie123
03-05-16, 17:28
I was googling the twitch I get in my finger where it moves by itself slightly and I read something and now I am freaking out completely someone please please please help https://gyazo.com/89d4101e8a92d573d849e8811afd49fd someone replied to the person asking about what are the symptoms of parkinsons and along with the twtich I have of those dandruff and oily skin recently aswell as well as sometimes sleep problems and I believe I may also have swallowing and I am not sure by what they mean by stiffness in the morning. Also for about 3 years now I have noticed concentration difficulties at times. Someone please tell me its not parkinsons I am only 19 I dont want to live my life like this please:weep::weep::weep::weep::weep:

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

I ALSO REALIZED I GET FLAKY SKIN ON THE SIDES OF MY NOSE AND THIS IS LINKED TO OILY SKIN:weep::weep:

damo123ie
03-05-16, 17:47
If you are anxious then your nervous system will release certain hormones and substances which amongst a variety of other things will cause muscles to tense up. When you twitch then your muscles are releasing tension. Have u ever noticed why people tend to twitch more when they are falling asleep...our muscles are beginning to relax but we have so much adrenaline and cortisol overflow that our muscles are edgy and this promotes jerky and involuntary movements.

I've had swallowing issues all my life - simple fact of the matter my muscles in my throat subconsciously tighten up when I swallow sometimes. The more I get nervous about it the more my muscles tense up.

Your symptoms are anxiety driven. The chances of you having Parkinsons at your age are very very very very low.

Fishmanpa
03-05-16, 19:07
"Why do I do this to myself?"

In the title is a big part of your answer. In many instances, depending on the severity of one's illness, you are doing this to yourself. There are no others involved in what you're feeling or how you're reacting. The blame is square on your shoulders.

We have freedom of choice. The excuse "I can't help it" is essentially BS because you can make a conscious decision to help yourself. Indeed, anxiety is an illness. It causes you to have a skewed view and thought process but just like a physical illness, you can get treatment and meds to help yourself. That choice again is square on your shoulders.

What's it gonna be?

Positive thoughts

Jamie123
03-05-16, 20:00
Thanks for the replies. I am always worried about what if I am that 0.001% but the symptoms are so vague I find it easy to put all of them on myself. Fishmanpa I know it is my fault and that its me that has to change it but I find it difficult doing it without help so maybe after my university exams in the summer I will seek out help.

Josh1234
03-05-16, 20:04
are you in any therapy or taking medication?

Jamie123
03-05-16, 20:14
No I looked at it in August last year but put it off and I was much better for 4 to 5 months and stopped having panic attacks but for about 2 months now it has been much worse for the past few weeks.

Josh1234
03-05-16, 20:20
yeah, i'd say start that ASAP. you are too young to be worrying about all these rare diseases. you're just disease hopping at this point. go get some therapy, and be young and enjoy life!

Jamie123
03-05-16, 20:32
yeah, i'd say start that ASAP. you are too young to be worrying about all these rare diseases. you're just disease hopping at this point. go get some therapy, and be young and enjoy life! I know this is 100% true the disease hopping is what I have been doing for so long now. I am even currently worried as I have some problems focusing my eyes on the tv and light is blurred and am already worrying this is ALS I cant stop I definitely need help. The thing is reassurance feels good in the short term thats why we seek it and I always post looking for it.

Fishmanpa
03-05-16, 20:36
Fishmanpa I know it is my fault and that its me that has to change it but I find it difficult doing it without help so maybe after my university exams in the summer I will seek out help.

"so maybe"? This is not helping you and in fact it's obviously hindering you from many things. Being that stressed out about non-existent health issues has to interfere with your studies. How can you focus when you're constantly worrying? Isn't there some help on campus that you can look into? Short of reaching through the screen and dragging you, no one can do this but yourself. If you can take the time to write out your worries on an internet forum, you can take the time to pick up the phone and make a few calls. If you were prescribed meds, now might be a good time to start taking them or calling your GP to discuss it.

Positive thoughts

Jamie123
04-05-16, 00:27
Still worried about this is there any way the finger movement could be a normal twitch in my arm pushing the nerves?

katniss
04-05-16, 03:57
I had this kind of twitching when I was worries about a brain tumor. You can just imagine the anxiety it caused me. For me it was my right toe. It would randomly twitch!! Its stopped now, thank goodness. However, I do think it may have been caused by me obsessing over the sensation of twitching and my brain actually causing the twitch subconsciously. I don't know how it happened but I KNOW it can happen.

Btw, Parkinson's is incredibly rare at your age. I don't think any doctor will take you seriously for it. Even something like ALS is very rare!! I would not worry!

Josh1234
04-05-16, 18:10
How has reassurance been working out for you so far?