PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone have a bad obsession for years and get over it?

Otulissa
03-05-16, 23:23
Like the title says, and did it really feel true at times? Or like maybe you believed it but didnt want to? I guess im just worried im too bad to get better...

Needsupport
04-05-16, 00:49
I don't know about "get over it" because OCD is chronic but I have had 2 themes in my OCD that have been main themes. Yes, I have gotten over one theme at some point and then had it return after a year or so. What I'm currently obsessing about, I had not obsessed about for almost 7 years and it returned, very very strong this time. I share the same fear with you and I was just crying earlier thinking my OCD has gotten too severe and I can't tell what's real anymore. I too am afraid of not being able to get better.

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Not the same OCD fear, but the same fear that my OCD is too strong to get better :( sorry for not being able to help much, just wanted to let you know there's others out there who are having a hard time as well :(

Holds1325
04-05-16, 17:48
I had 2 obsessions that were recurring over the years. I didn't really "get over" them as in they don't exist anymore. They still sort of do. But I did get to the point that it doesnt bother me anymore as much. It still tries to flare up and it does at time but its alot easier to manage.

Sometimes we just have to live with it, like an annoying scar or whatever but that doesn't mean that you can NOT be anxiety free. Like I said, I still deal with it somewhat, but I don't get anxious depressed over it, its more like an annoying fly or whatever you just sometimes have to take a few seconds to squash it, then move on and ur good!

Kmac1286
09-05-16, 04:34
I had one that didn't go away completely, but it's quieted. It rarely pops up every once in a while. I mean, maybe once or twice a year.

I have one that I feel I'll never get rid of or get over, and I hate it. It's hard to say if something will ever disappear, or if our obsessions are just replaced with a new one. In my case, I think the one that only pops up rarely was just replaced in my mind by one it felt was more pertinent.

claireypoo
12-05-16, 20:23
Hi

I've had obsessions come and fade (never completely - but to a level they don't bother me) but I've never been WITHOUT ANY. I seem to be stuck in one of them (11 years) but I've had other intense obsessions which lasted for years then were replaced by others, or grew into others. Contamination & religious themes both haven't surfaced to a worrying level for a few years now - Claire Weekes 'glimpsing' technique helped those s bit I think. When I'm in the midst of a really bad obsession I always worry it will be forever. I seem to get lots of obsessions - some out of the blue. I always have the same compulsions - checking/ repeating/ safety seeking behaviours/ avoidance/ neutralising thoughts/ etc

X

mindful anxiety
26-05-16, 17:51
Well, yes and no.

Kinda like Needssupport put it. The theme changed, but not the obsession.

I used to use Purell to clean my hands almost every 10 minutes. Germs scare me. I touch at least 50 keyboards a day in my work.

Now I only use Penhaligon's - Quercus liquid hand soap. I use it constantly. I carry bottles everywhere.

Looking back now the Purell hand sanitizer was a cheaper theme. :)

viking111
27-05-16, 18:14
My longest obsession has been 3 months. Like, those weren't 3 months straight, I had ups and downs, but I got over it. The key is to let the though be. If you try to fight it, it will just stay there longer.