PDA

View Full Version : Lost my mind on Citalopram, cant get over it.

LiveAboveIt
05-05-16, 00:43
During my 5 week stint on Citalopram, I completely lost my mind. I had highly increased anxiety, severe mental confusion and cognition issues, vision issues, and constant intrusive thoughts/worry. I felt like I was on another planet and could not control my thoughts at all, it was terrifying. I also had severe DP/DR everyday all day. I began to question reality and what was real, what mattered. My mind totally turned to pudding and I lost all confidence and faith in myself. This followed 4 weeks after discontinuing the Citalopram cold turkey.

During this period I lost my ability to cope and became suicidal, each hour was a struggle. I was finally put on 25mg Sertraline and .5mg Clonazepam twice daily. Today is Day 7 and I already notice massive improvement. I am no longer suicidal, the anxiety has reduced along with the constant DP/DR.

My mind is becoming more quiet and I am better able to control my thoughts. The intrusive thoughts are nearly gone now and are much more manageable.

My problem is I am CONSTANTLY worried about losing my mind now. I can feel it almost as if it happened an hour ago. It was so traumatic that I just can't seem to get over it and just thinking about it almost bring me right back to how I felt during that period. I'm afraid to do anything, because I'm afraid that my thoughts will overwhelm me again and I will lose control. I don't know how to work past this.

I plan on increasing the Sertraline to 50mg tomorrow and I hope that eventually the medication will help be get past this so that it becomes nothing more than a bad memory, but it's on my mind all the time and actually makes me feel as if I'm crazy. I still feel slightly out of it, but I feel normal when I'm distracted and not thinking about it.

Has anyone else had anything similar and did the medication help?

Shazamataz
05-05-16, 09:33
I think it's natural to worry after your experience as it sounds horrific BUT you certainly sound completely sane, if that helps?

Keep up that hope and hold onto the moments where you do feel better. Sounds like the sertraline may be a good choice for you.

LiveAboveIt
05-05-16, 16:09
Thank you for the comforting words, Shaz. <3