PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please!!

sweetpea
10-03-07, 11:03
Hello, I'm a bit stuck...
In 2 weeks I'm getting on a 12 hour flight, on my own, and I'm extremely nervous. Haven't flown on my own in years...

I get v panicky when I feel enclosed, can't get off etc so trains, planes, boats, coaches are never much fun!

I've taken a few train journeys recently and TBH it was really hard work. I felt very panicky and could only get on with a close friend.

So, do I keep practising before I go or just face it on the day?! The issue is if I keep trying but I have a panic attack it takes me ages to recover and I'll often feel v apprehensive for a few days.

At the moment, I feel quite calm and positive so I don't want to ruin that. Saying that though I burst into tears this morning because the car broke down - I think I'm quietly nervous so I feel upset much more easily.

Does this make sense?!
Sorry, it's kinda rushed as I've got to meet someone in a few mins....

Shall I keep trying or just preserve the calm I have the big day?

Sorry bit waffley....
Any advice would be really appreciated!!
xs

nomorepanic
10-03-07, 17:00
I would keep practising and putting yourself in similar situations where you feel shut in and panicky.

That way you can learn to control it before the big day in a few weeks.

Good luck with and remember all the distraction techniques and things you can use to help you cope.

Rennie1989
10-03-07, 18:17
Bring an MP3 player or iPod with you. I find relaxing to music helps when I'm panicky. You concentrate more on the music then your feelings. Also look out of the plane window, look at the beautiful scenery outside, you get an amazing view of the world from a plane. And watch the onboard entertainment, they show comedies on planes and they are great to watch, makes time fly by (no pun intended).

Look forward to your holiday, think possitive, enjoy your flight :)

sweetpea
12-03-07, 15:49
I would keep practising and putting yourself in similar situations where you feel shut in and panicky.

That way you can learn to control it before the big day in a few weeks.

Good luck with and remember all the distraction techniques and things you can use to help you cope.

Thank you Nicola...have been on 4 busses today into town and back. Had one panic attack and for once didn't jump off the bus. Stayed on and breathed my way through it.

Determination does pay off eventually!! :yesyes:
Thanks again!
xs

nomorepanic
12-03-07, 16:00
Oh well done you!

With each trip it will become less and less panicky as you will see that it can't kill you etc.

Well done for coping so well!

jo61
12-03-07, 16:58
Well done. The anticipation of the 12 hour flight will be worse than the event. I flew to the US on my own 2 years ago (with 2 connections) and it frightened the life out of me for a few weeks before. The day dawned and I just did it and had a great time - even got upgraded on the way home!!

Piglet
13-03-07, 22:00
Lots of good advice there and all of which I agree with.

My contribution is gonna be a big hug to say go on give it a go!! :yesyes:

((((S)))

Piglet :flowers: