PDA

View Full Version : Heightened anxiety in hot weather.

mrjonesmcr
05-05-16, 21:57
Hi everyone, I hope you're all keeping well this evening.

Does anyone find that they feel more anxious during warm weather? right now, we've had beautiful weather, but of course, I can't enjoy it like everyone else! even though it is hardly a heatwave, not yet anyway! but my body doesn't want me to. In an ideal world, I'd feel relaxed sipping on a cold beer or something, but I don't feel right in the slightest.

Over the course of today, I've consistently felt lethargic with bursts of nausea, headaches and general anxiety. If I was at home all day rather than working, I'd likely feel more relaxed, like I do now. Well, perhaps relaxed is not quite accurate, but I'm certainly (a little) less worried and calmer in case anything happens. My logical mind knows I'll be okay, but logic tends to go out of the window when I'm feeling anxious.

NoPoet
05-05-16, 22:16
Apparently it's something to do with the way blood vessels expand? I hear that summer SAD is more anxiety based, while the better-known winter SAD is more like depression.

I know that I can sometimes feel much worse, kind of sad, low, shocked, trapped, when the weather turns really nice. This is possibly due to bad memories of being ill during periods of nice weather. Or maybe it's because we feel bad when we're telling ourselves we should feel good?

Whatever the cause, we can take ownership and enjoy the good weather.

mrjonesmcr
05-05-16, 22:27
Apparently it's something to do with the way blood vessels expand? I hear that summer SAD is more anxiety based, while the better-known winter SAD is more like depression.

I know that I can sometimes feel much worse, kind of sad, low, shocked, trapped, when the weather turns really nice. This is possibly due to bad memories of being ill during periods of nice weather. Or maybe it's because we feel bad when we're telling ourselves we should feel good?

Whatever the cause, we can take ownership and enjoy the good weather.

Oh yeah, I think I read something about that once.

I do like it like this, it's far from unbearable in terms of heat, so I'm a little confused at why my body doesn't like it, but as you've said, it could be in the mind.

I'll probably try and enjoy it over the weekend, it's unlikely I'll leave the house.

NoPoet
05-05-16, 23:15
Have you got a back garden you can sit in? Sit out there with a book and/or some headphones on. At night, maybe try listening to relaxing music and imagine being happy and having a good time in the good weather.

little_geko
14-05-16, 14:54
Hi MrJonesmcr. Yes, I get anxious when the weather gets nice. I think partly because I feel a sudden pressure to wear different clothes and I can't deal with making those choices or having to wear something that isn't just a huge baggy jumper. I also feel pressure to go outside, have fun, make the most of it, see friends and then I get angry at myself when I hide inside all day with no real reason to go out. Overall I think the sun makes me feel pressure to be happy and do what everyone else is doing. Do you feel anything like this?

Shazamataz
14-05-16, 22:31
The heat certainly makes things worse for me. We're heading into winter here in New zealand but it's been unseasonably warm for may and when it gets over about 22 degrees my anxiety hits the roof. I think it's because one of the big symptoms of anxiety is getting hot?

AuntWithIssues87
04-07-21, 16:43
I am the opposite…I have terrible SAD in the winter. My area has long, cold dark winters with a lot, and I mean a lot, of snow. Summers are so-so…we don’t get a whole lot of 90+ degree days but when we do it is generally very humid as well and high humidity days do tend to spike my anxiety. But my weather anxiety is far worse in winter especially around the holidays when it is dark at like 5:00PM.

FrankT
18-07-21, 20:20
Oh God... we're deliberately frying the planet and no one cares!

Catkins
18-07-21, 20:55
There are a lot of people who care.

FrankT
18-07-21, 21:05
But not enough.

NoraB
19-07-21, 07:38
Over the course of today, I've consistently felt lethargic with bursts of nausea, headaches and general anxiety. If I was at home all day rather than working, I'd likely feel more relaxed, like I do now. Well, perhaps relaxed is not quite accurate, but I'm certainly (a little) less worried and calmer in case anything happens. My logical mind knows I'll be okay, but logic tends to go out of the window when I'm feeling anxious.

I find that I become more aware of my heartbeat in hot weather and, naturally, it will be faster because of the heat so lots of deep breathing for me to make sure my ANS doesn't take over again..

Losethecloud
22-07-21, 16:23
Oh I thought I was the only one! I have painful headache, panic, nausea, and I can’t wait for the heatwave to end. It’s been consistently very hot here for the last couple of weeks and I feel imprisoned because the weather drains me. I have withdrawn into myself and don’t want to mix or go out but I’m equally as bad off at home alone. I have generalised anxiety about everything at the moment. Any words of help very welcome

LittleLionMan
22-07-21, 16:35
The biggest thing to remember is that this won't be forever, and it's affecting lots of people in a similar way. I can't think straight, have a muggy head constantly and an just struggling through.

Plenty of cold cans of pop in the fridge, and an ice cream now and again to help, and just accepting that it's just a very temporary pain the arse! It's cooler next week, from Saturday where I am in Shrewsbury, so it's not long now before we get a break from it.

Tyke
26-07-21, 03:33
I hate the hot weather. I find it worse at work because we have to wear masks still and the building we work in is always very hot in any heatwave. We are not allowed to use fans now due to Covid-19 regulations and there is no air conditioning installed. My anxiety goes through the roof when it's like this. I just hope it's a bit cooler for the rest of the summer in the UK. I don't mind it hot so much if I don't have to go to work and of course I don't need a mask when I'm at home. At home I can also try to cool off any way I like, with fans, cold water, ice lollies, cool beers and no mask etc. without being reprimanded by a draconian supervisor! :yahoo:

darlene85
01-07-22, 21:48
I've coped with hot weather quite well last three years and here we go again, I feel like I'm dying all the time. I can't say if this is anxiety nausea or nausea from heatwave, I am suffering a lot and I don't have the AC. I don't know if I'll survive this summer. A friend of a friend died a few days ago from heart attack, relatively young and I can't cope with the fear that it can happen to me. I have major risk factors for that.
And the bloody summer is at its beginning.

rcs
14-07-22, 12:49
I too get anxious in hot weather and i always assumed SAD was a wintertime condition with long nights and inclement weather especially around December. I hate the humidity in the British summers and the constant sweating i seem to endure especially in shops and public transport and feeling sweaty makes me anxious and self conscious, it seems a paradox but i have read is quite common with an increase in blood pressure and irritability. I don't the British public get long enough spells of hot weather to get acclimatised properly like some countries on the Continent..

panicface
21-07-22, 17:13
Yes! Heat makes my anxiety tons worse. Not general increase in heat (like 'summer' vs 'spring') but having do to stuff outside in hot weather - can send me right into a panic attack easily. I've read many times that heat effects some people this way.

However, I sauna at home most mornings and only notice a slight transitory increase in pulse, once I do a cold dip it returns to normal quickly. So, not really sure what the mechanism of action might be in triggering panic attacks? Would love to know - but just sharing that YES I have this too and it sucks.

LittleLionMan
12-08-22, 15:55
Hot weather = Heightened anxiety for me.

Resisting the urge to go out and get an air conditioning unit, or go and sit in the car! Ha!

pulisa
12-08-22, 16:34
It's going to pour with rain next week...

Darksky
12-08-22, 17:45

Guaranteed we will be complaining about that after a while.

A hot weather positive….the grass isn’t growing so no mowing:yesyes:

pulisa
12-08-22, 17:57
The weeds are still refusing to budge though!:D

LittleLionMan
13-08-22, 07:02
I don’t understand why 32 here isn’t like 32 in Spain, or is it because I have to work in this and not just sit by a pool with a beer? Ha.

Darksky
13-08-22, 11:09
Maybe it’s to do with the humidity?

Our houses aren’t meant to cope with heat either. Because we are (or were) a generally cold country our houses are insulated up to the eye balls. So when the heat gets in, it’s trapped by all our loft insulation, cavity wall insulation etc. Even if we have air conditioning, the cost of electricity atm we can’t afford to put it on :roflmao:

Catkins
13-08-22, 12:40
Currently sitting around with minimal clothing and a fan on. On a positive not my washing will be dry pretty quickly.

Pamplemousse
13-08-22, 13:52
Fan on, lying down listening to "Pick Of The Pops" for 1982 and remembering a hot summer and going out in my first car - I hadn't long passed my driving test :)

Darksky
13-08-22, 16:05
Currently sat in sons car, in front of the air con listening to Queen.:yesyes:

Carys
13-08-22, 16:10
I saw a BBC article today, that might interest some....its about some mental health medications making heat more challenging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62496985

pulisa
13-08-22, 16:29
I've got an extensive heat rash which is driving me nuts...but I'm not blaming escitalopram for that. It came on after painting my garden fence with gritted teeth and determination.

Catkins
13-08-22, 17:09
I've got an extensive heat rash which is driving me nuts...but I'm not blaming escitalopram for that. It came on after painting my garden fence with gritted teeth and determination.
Well done fot doing it! Have you got any calamine lotion?

pulisa
13-08-22, 17:49
No i haven't used that yet..Just taken a daily anti histamine and lathered on fridge-chilled E45 cream..plus have stayed out of the sun!

pulisa
13-08-22, 19:20
Currently sat in sons car, in front of the air con listening to Queen.:yesyes:

I imagine you're having multiple attacks of the vapours in view of the scoreline, Darksky....:D

Darksky
14-08-22, 13:03
Oh God yes…..it’s actually becoming embarrassing:blush:

I feel so sorry for Eriksen coming back to his old club and getting a trouncing like that.

pulisa
14-08-22, 13:15
I know...I think that now he has defected to Man U the sympathy from opposing clubs re what happened to him will start to wane. I wish he had stayed at Brentford and maybe he'll regret the move away but it's early days yet although no doubt the vultures are already hovering around EtH?

LittleLionMan
14-08-22, 13:26
It’s bloody hilarious! 🤣

pulisa
14-08-22, 13:32
It’s bloody hilarious! 藍

After tomorrow evening no doubt my lot will relieve Manure of their current league position though.

LittleLionMan
14-08-22, 15:01
After tomorrow evening no doubt my lot will relieve Manure of their current league position though.
Probably, I like what you are doing at Palace though. My lot are dreadful, and we’ve got you next.

fishman65
14-08-22, 15:13
Try supporting Everton if you want misery :lac:

LittleLionMan
14-08-22, 17:43
Try supporting Everton if you want misery :lac:
I’m a Villa fan, so I got to witness yours yesterday. Two poor sides to be honest.

pulisa
14-08-22, 17:50
Can't be worse than Yawnmouth? Dead certs for the drop.

Catkins
14-08-22, 18:48
Well I've barely been able to move today. I even dispensed with my bra this afternoon as unnecessary clothing. I had a trip to Aldi this morning hoping (misguidedly) that it would be quiet. Nope hot and busy. I'm staring at the washing wondering if turning the iron on would be a mistake or not.

Catkins
14-08-22, 18:49
There is one good thing though, because it was too hot I sat and finished my Care Certificate work. So glad I'm done with that.

pulisa
14-08-22, 19:24
Well I've barely been able to move today. I even dispensed with my bra this afternoon as unnecessary clothing. I had a trip to Aldi this morning hoping (misguidedly) that it would be quiet. Nope hot and busy. I'm staring at the washing wondering if turning the iron on would be a mistake or not.

A definite mistake. Only those on the picket line strike while the iron's hot..

We don't need ironed clothes in this weather anyway..Or clothes at all really.

Catkins
14-08-22, 20:00
A definite mistake. Only those on the picket line strike while the iron's hot..

We don't need ironed clothes in this weather anyway..Or clothes at all really.
Dress and knickers - that's all. Although I have managed to iron my work clothes - everything else can bugger off today!

Lencoboy
18-08-22, 07:30
Well here in the Midlands it's been raining for the past 2 days, so last night at least was a bit more comfortable to sleep.

I remember 10 years ago (2012) most of the summer was a washout, but this year (2022) it has for the most part pretty much been the polar opposite; a scorcher!

As someone else already pointed out upthread, a lot of us in this country seem to moan about the weather no matter what, but the heatwaves over the past few weeks have genuinely been very uncomfortable, especially when we topped 40C for the first time ever around mid July this year.

Come the winter months we will no doubt be panicking (and complaining) about Beasts from the East once again, even at the slightest inkling of any snow!

NoraB
18-08-22, 08:10
even at the slightest inkling of any snow!

Snow becomes a pain in the @rse once you leave childhood (to be fair, I hated it even then - too cold and I've always been nesh) but at least it covers up the dog crap on the pavements.... :yesyes: