PDA

View Full Version : Buspirone

Mugs
06-05-16, 00:06
Has anybody had any luck with Buspirone?
It's about the only thing in haven't tried.
Thanks

USER12
11-05-16, 19:59
I find it helpful for anxiety issues, though I don't take it regularly.

MyNameIsTerry
12-05-16, 05:12
You may not get much of a response with this primarily being UK people as it's only licenced over here for short term treatment due to a lack of clinical evidence beyond that. So, our GP's will be very unlikely to dish it out any further than that without a psychiatrist agreeing.

Mark13
03-06-16, 16:40
I lasted only 10 days on buspirone. It did absolutely nothing for me, which meant the anxiety flooded back with a bang.

That said, at least it showed me how well the previous drug I was on was working. Sometimes when you've been on the same drug for a while you forget how bad it was without.

That experience gave me a wake up call to not keep looking for a better drug and stick with what helps :)

Mark

Tims
06-06-16, 01:32
I asked my doc about this med as I I've read it is relatively harmless and no tolerance or dependence issues, but, for some reason he was reluctant to prescribe it and told me stick to Pregabalin and increase the dose if I have to. It's frustrating as I'd love to give buspar a go.
Tims

Carolin
06-06-16, 15:07
I take buspirone. My GP prescribed it for me,and it does help.

I think the problem is that Nice only recommends short term use, so maybe that is why your GP said no?

My psychiatrist says it is a good med, but only works for some people. I know that if I miss a dose I am much worse anxiety wise. He has said that there are no problems to me taking it long term.

Tims
11-06-16, 23:28
Hi Carolin
That's very interesting. I don't understand this short term thing, it is known to be less addictive and have less tolerance issues than most other meds out there, certainly less than Pregabalin. Isn't it funny how opinions on these meds can vary so much from doc to doc.
Tims

MyNameIsTerry
12-06-16, 04:29
Hi Carolin
That's very interesting. I don't understand this short term thing, it is known to be less addictive and have less tolerance issues than most other meds out there, certainly less than Pregabalin. Isn't it funny how opinions on these meds can vary so much from doc to doc.
Tims

It's only licenced for short term use because long term use has no clinical evidence of it helping. Given it is advised against rather than simply not indicated, without checking, I would imagine it is because there are contradictory studies rather than a basic lack of evidence.

They can always off label it though. GP's won't usually have a clue with mental health meds so will naturally be cautious but psychiatrists may take a view based on their experience.

nedmcg
08-07-16, 14:24
Need to remember as well that its expensive to the NHS again another reason why they try Pregabalin first

Mark13
08-07-16, 17:29
Need to remember as well that its expensive to the NHS again another reason why they try Pregabalin first

Pregabalin's actually much more expensive to the NHS, around £70 a month, whereas buspirone costs about £17.

My doc prescribed it for me, but did emphasise it would only be for short term use.

nedmcg
01-08-16, 13:57
Pregabalin's actually much more expensive to the NHS, around £70 a month, whereas buspirone costs about £17.

My doc prescribed it for me, but did emphasise it would only be for short term use.

I stand corrected, see page 12

http://www.southwestyorkshire.nhs.uk/documents/304.pdf

USER12
05-08-16, 21:27
My GP prescribed it whilst I was still on citalopram. It really made a difference. For a while I stopped taking it and just took citalopram. My anxiety got worse. I now take just one tablet in the morning, and it still helps.

jenni89
07-08-16, 18:56
Buspirone did nothing for me unfortunately. It made me feel ill and gave me the strangest brain zaps. I couldn't last more than two weeks on it.

I was then placed on Zoloft, which has helped me a lot. Initial side effects were bad, but it worked, and eventually they subsided.