PDA

View Full Version : Bad health anxiety

Mugs
07-05-16, 01:06
Hi
My health anxiety is so bad that I'm afraid my family wouldn't tell me if something was wrong with any if them.
I understand why they feel this way.
How can I get over this fear?

Fishmanpa
07-05-16, 01:41
How can I get over this fear?

The most proven and effective way is therapy (CBT) and meds if needed.

Positive thoughts

Elizabeth Fry
07-05-16, 01:57
So is mine. At the doctors constantly.

---------- Post added at 01:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 ----------

Has anyone got horizontal ridges on toenails? Worried.

Mugs
07-05-16, 03:20

Positive thoughts

Thank-you.

There has to be something I'm doing wrong. I have had a couple of years of CBT and 3 therapists, it just doesn't stick!
It all makes perfect sense but just does not work for my kind of crazy!:wacko:

---------- Post added at 02:10 ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 ----------

Positive thoughts

Thank you.
I've had a couple of YEARS of CBT from 3 different therapists.
It all makes perfect sense but just does not work for my kind of crazy!:wacko:
Meds, well I've tried lots over the last few years. I'm down to just 1 med now and we will see how that goes.
Positive thoughts are good,just have to get myself to believed them.

---------- Post added at 02:11 ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 ----------

Sorry, got timed out and had to start again.

---------- Post added at 02:20 ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 ----------

So is mine. At the doctors constantly.

---------- Post added at 01:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 ----------

Has anyone got horizontal ridges on toenails? Worried.

How old are you?

Fishmanpa
07-05-16, 04:54
I have had a couple of years of CBT and 3 therapists, it just doesn't stick! It all makes perfect sense but just does not work for my kind of crazy!:wacko:

Good answer! :) At least you're self observant enough to be realistic about your disorder. Despite the irrationality, you're aware of it. That's a big step ahead of most.

Positive thoughts

Mugs
07-05-16, 05:00
OK:)

unsure_about_this
07-05-16, 11:27
When I really had bad health anxiety my parents hid when my Dad did his poop testing in 2014 because of his age, only got told when it was all clear (how there managed to hid the sample kit from me)

I have had CBT in the past but did not work. I have not been to the group sessions I used to attend since October 2014, it just got quite depressing and upsetting at times with some of the other people who attended so decided not to attend anymore.

Elizabeth Fry
07-05-16, 23:30
Mugs, I think your question was to me I'm in my late 60s. I have asked another friend of the same age and she has them. I am constantly plagued with worries, some turn out to be real but others are not. My GP is very understanding but I am becoming increasingly embarrassed but still go to see her anyway - mortified.

Elizabeth

Mugs
07-05-16, 23:50
Hello
I'm also 60 and the reason I asked is because at our age we get ridges on everything, don't we?
I just file them down and cover them up with polish!
It's an age thing.

Carnation
08-05-16, 00:01
Mugs, have you tried listening to Apps of 'Claire Weekes'? x

Elizabeth Fry
08-05-16, 00:07
Thanks Mugs. You're right. I am doing my best to control this HA - my husband is very ill and the stress is so bad at times. Do you think it's possible to overcome this fully? Mine has been getting progressively worse over the last few years. it's horrible and I really feel for anyone suffering from it.
Elizabeth

---------- Post added at 00:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

Meant to say thanks for replying Mugs. Don't feel so alone with it now.

Elizabeth

Noivous
08-05-16, 00:23
Thanks Mugs. You're right. I am doing my best to control this HA - my husband is very ill and the stress is so bad at times. Do you think it's possible to overcome this fully? Mine has been getting progressively worse over the last few years. it's horrible and I really feel for anyone suffering from it.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Is it possible to overcome this fully?

Yes. Absolutely. Positively. Definitely. Without a doubt. For sure. Indubitably. Affirmative.

N.

Mugs
08-05-16, 00:38
I have read her book, but I have not been able to access any of her talks on line.
She was brilliant, her booked helped me quite a bit, maybe I should read it again.:doh:
Can you tell me how I might access her talks please?
Thanks

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth.
My husband and son are both bad diabetics and I worry about them non stop, being a nurse I know WAY to much!
All this worry has got me in this mess and I feel like it is unending and destroying me.
I'm sorry to hear about your husband.
It's so hard to see the ones you love sick.
This is how my family feels about me now, I hate that I have made them go through this.
Does your husband have a chronic illness? If you don't mind me asking, it's just the nurse in me.