PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate during exercise

Adrens
07-05-16, 12:10
Hi,

Im posting to get an idea of what peoples heart rates should be during different states of exercise as mine seems to shoot up with little exertion and I am wondering if this i way too high or not. I am currently 21 with a slightly underweight BMI.

My resting pulse upon waking up is the mid 60/70s and staying between 80-95 most of the time during the day at rest. However when I exercise my heart rate seems to shoot up for example walking around 3.5mph will cause my heart rate to reach 120~30 and if I walk around 4 to 4.5mph this can get up to 150~60 I have recently been trying to increase my exercise in the hope of bringing my heart rate down but when I go for a jog at a 9minutes miles pace I reach 180bpm within minutes of starting, I don't feel exhausted it just seems way too high for the effort put in.

If you guys could let me know what rates you are getting I can get an idea of how bad this is.

Thanks for your response.

ankietyjoe
08-05-16, 19:42
I'm assuming because you're posting here that you have an anxiety disorder of some sort?

I'm in a similar boat to you, although I've also been under an extraordinary amount of stress for the last few years.

My morning HR and daytime resting HR is similar to yours, but I've done little to no exercise for a couple of years.

If you don't regularly exercise, your body will respond accordingly. Walking up a flight of stairs can put me at about 160bpm almost immediately, but it settles down within a couple of minutes. Walking can put me over 100bpm very quickly too.

I would avoid jogging as it's not particularly good for you anyway (certainly no better than a brisk walk in terms of overall fitness) and the resulting heart rate will almost certainly make you shy away from wanting to exercise in the future.

My own routine has me just walking for 20-30 minutes and mindfully telling myself 'of course your HR is going to increase, it's normal!'

Aaahhfreakout
09-05-16, 13:56
Ankietyjoe's question about anxiety is really important. Using a portable ECG I've found my HR can increase by around 20 BPM in a few seconds if I take my pulse on my wrist even if I don't feel I'm becoming physically anxious. The concern that made me take my pulse has that much of an effect without me feeling any anxiety. Your actual HR before taking your pulse may be much lower than you think it is.