PDA

View Full Version : Panic when not near a bathroom

LessPanicPlz
07-05-16, 20:21
Hello, I haven't been a member for more than 10 minutes before I started this thread. I have used this website before but after an event today I figured it was time to reach out to people more or less anonymously.

So here is my story, I am very embarrassed to tell anyone other than my close family in person which is why I haven't seen a councilor yet.

It started two years ago, I was of volunteering at a butterfly house. I had fun the first two days, but on the third day while I was on my way to work with my father as I couldn't drive yet; but then I had an episode of diarrhea that forced my dad and I to pull over and I had to relieve myself in the woods.

After that event, I had a very hard time leaving the house, even going very short distances. I would get severe panic attacks that made me feel like I was going to throw up or have an accident. It took me more than a year to more of less get over that fear.I got my license on my first try and then I got a job that I held for 5 months until I quit on good terms.

Alas, good things never last. On the second to last day of work I first went halfway to work and started feeling like I needed to go, I started to panic. I turned around, called work and rushed back home as fast as safely possible. I hadn't felt so panicked since the first episode. As it turned out I was sick with norovirus.

Even though I know that I was sick I have still reverted to panicking whenever I leave the house.

Can anyone else relate? Thanks for reading, it's good to tell someone about it.
-LessPanic

Mishaaa
08-05-16, 05:59
Hi!

Welcome!

I had something along these lines, and it started once when I was in a car, stuck in traffic, and needed to go to the bathroom really badly to number one. After that I started dreading driving/public transport where I wouldn't be near a bathroom. It went away for a while after I kept telling myself it wouldn't happen and going to the bathroom whenever I left a place with a toilet and it helped. Then alas! It started again one time during a traffic jam and no bathroom! That was 2.5 years back, and whenever I take trips I schedule frequent bathroom breaks.

Would it help convincing yourself that both times you were sick so theoretically it shouldn't happen normally? Maybe you could also check the public restrooms along the way to work etc? There's an app for that. So you know where all the bathrooms are along that route.

Sorry if this doesn't really help, but know you're not alone out there!

---------- Post added at 04:59 ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 ----------

Good luck!

LessPanicPlz
08-05-16, 13:33
Thank you for your story, it is good to know that I'm not the only one who has felt this way.